The Power of Thank-You

Traveling Fools

Over the years DW and I have made it a point to learn how to say thank-you in whatever country we are in. We do the same when cruising with our stateroom and dinning staff. Sometimes it takes several attempts to get it right, but the results are astounding. Faces light up and you immediately become someone the crew remembers.

Over the years DW and I have made it a point to learn how to say thank-you in whatever country we are in. We do the same when cruising with our stateroom and dinning staff. Sometimes it takes several attempts to get it right, but the results are astounding. Faces light up and you immediately become someone the crew remembers.

Absolutely

These workers must face the worst of mankind on these cruises.. I go out of my way to be friendly to them and thank them, address them by name.

We are no better than them.. in fact I think most of them are better.. I could never have the patience they have..especially the restaurant staff:D

Please and thank you goes a very long way in this world. My mother taught me from a very young age to always say please, thank you and also you're welcome. :) I also teach my children the same.

Manners cost nothing but the rewards are quite large. :D

It is amazing how many people don't take the time to say thank you any more. We have been shocked at the lack of good manners on our cruises.

You are right - the crew appreciate every genuine thank you they get.

Payd:)

I agree wholeheartedly. There is not nearly enough courtesy in the world today, and we as Americans have a somewhat deserved rep as being not very nice. I think learning the words in someone else's native tongue is a great idea, but even for us who don't, a genuine, heartfelt "Thank You!" in English might work as well.

Off topic...I performed CPR on an 18 month old baby who was found in his pool. After working on him for over 10 minutes he finally came around. Was in the hospital overnight and had no problems. His mother never once thanked me!:confused:

Some people just have no manners for anyone. Last year my mom fainted and we called 911. The paramedics came, they took her to the hospital and when we left I couldn't thank the hospital staff and paramedics enough for taking such good care of my mother.

Off topic...I performed CPR on an 18 month old baby who was found in his pool. After working on him for over 10 minutes he finally came around. Was in the hospital overnight and had no problems. His mother never once thanked me!:confused:

People react in different ways. The shock of it all sometimes makes people forget normal behavior. Perhaps she wasn't thinking "normal" and wishes she could tell you know?

I can not imagine not saying thank you to someone! Good manners never go out of style! The other day my 3 year old grandson came into the kitchen and announced that he was thirsty. I kept waiting, then he said, "Pleeeeaaaasssse, Gigi, can i have drink?":D I read a story somewhere, years ago, about a boy who had to do an experiment. He spent several hours at a mall, opening the door for people as they walked up. His experiment was to see how many people said thank you, and if i remember right, the percentage was pretty lousy!!:( I truly believe that if you don't teach manners to kids when they are young, they will grow up thinking they own the world and that everyone is there to please THEM!! Not a very pleasant person to be around, seems to me!! The staff on the ship work SO hard, most of them do, and they don't make much money, and they are there to try to make our cruise enjoyable, and the very LEAST we can do is thank them, which I do every chance i get!!

I have made it a point to do the same thing and do it even here in the states. I always get a smile when I thank someone in their native language. Anyone that is interested in learning to say "Thank you" or some other key phrases in other languages can go to Travlang.com. I always brush up on my Romanian, Spanish, Hindi and Thai thank yous before cruising.

I can not imagine not saying thank you to someone! Good manners never go out of style! The other day my 3 year old grandson came into the kitchen and announced that he was thirsty. I kept waiting, then he said, "Pleeeeaaaasssse, Gigi, can i have drink?":D I read a story somewhere, years ago, about a boy who had to do an experiment. He spent several hours at a mall, opening the door for people as they walked up. His experiment was to see how many people said thank you, and if i remember right, the percentage was pretty lousy!!:( I truly believe that if you don't teach manners to kids when they are young, they will grow up thinking they own the world and that everyone is there to please THEM!! Not a very pleasant person to be around, seems to me!! The staff on the ship work SO hard, most of them do, and they don't make much money, and they are there to try to make our cruise enjoyable, and the very LEAST we can do is thank them, which I do every chance i get!!

I work with children and every single child is taught "Without manners you get ?" "Nothing" and believe me after a few reminders they can recite it back to each other as a gentle reminder when one of them forgets to use their manners. Manners and respect for each other is one thing we can all share that costs nothing and takes very little effort and might brighten someone elses day.

I make a habit of not doing things for my kids until their demand become a question with a please. Then I will stand there looking at them until the thank you comes. I am always told that I have polite kids - glad to see my efforts pay off. Now, they best be behaved on our cruise as well!!:)

I am quite gobsmacked that here in the states, especially in texas, people in general are very polite, but in restaurants and public places its seems to be just give me the food as fast as you can and no one says thank you. I make a point of thanking everyone even in the drive thru and I do get an astonished look sometimes! I also let folks go at stop signs and signal if I am changing lanes and at four way stops people think I am weird because I let them go first. But its just the way I was brought up, I am learning a few texas things like I drive real fast, love to two step........etc:D

One of the first thing that I ask our steward or waiter is how to say, "Hello, goodbye, please, thankyou and your welcome" in their language. They always seem to genuinely appreciate the interest. Of course, I usually mess it up for a couple of days until I get it right!! :o

I was waiting in line at an airport gate after my flight was delayed making a lot of people miss their connections. The woman in front of me was reading the riot act to the service rep about how the airline should be better prepared for this (it was weather related). The woman finally went storming off to find another flight. I stepped up and smiled and said I wouldn't want your job today. I asked what my options were and she went out of her way to find me a seat on another airline with connections that I could make. I thanked her and wished her luck. I sent a quick note to the airline mentioning her helpfulness and got an additional $25 off the next flight. Honey works better than vinegar most every time.

Same here... It does go a long way in the end. If we're on an island we usually tip more than what we would when we're home too.

Archived