flies and mosquitos in Ayers Rock?

baggirl0609

I would definitely suggest you have a hat with corks around the brim. The corks will stop the flies from getting to your face. I haven't been to Uluru in summer but I do believe that the flies are out in force then.

I am not so sure of mosquitoes as there isn't a lot of water up there and mozzies do like to be near water.

The flies are definitely your biggest worry and don't worry about looking silly as everyone will have the same idea of a hat with corks or with a net.

Jennie

We will be in Port Douglas and sydney in Dec/Jan, will flies be a problem there as well?

Flies are a part of summer in Australia, however, the coastal regions are not nearly as affected as the hotter inland areas. In Port Douglas you will be fine. On the other hand, we have been in inland Australia in September/October (spring) and you couldn't open your mouth to speak or eat if you weren't enclosed in netting! They are those annoying small bush flies and they were everywhere...... winter is a much better time to visit our outback areas. In summer, you DEFINITELY need a hat with a net.

Flies are a part of summer in Australia, however, the coastal regions are not nearly as affected as the hotter inland areas. In Port Douglas you will be fine. On the other hand, we have been in inland Australia in September/October (spring) and you couldn't open your mouth to speak or eat if you weren't enclosed in netting! They are those annoying small bush flies and they were everywhere...... winter is a much better time to visit our outback areas. In summer, you DEFINITELY need a hat with a net.

How are the flies or mosquitos if we do the Sounds of Silence dinner? Do they go elsewhere at night?

It will be difficult to eat with a net over our faces.

How are the flies or mosquitos if we do the Sounds of Silence dinner? Do they go elsewhere at night?

It will be difficult to eat with a net over our faces.

No problem at night with flies - they miraculously disappear. The Sounds of Silence dinner is wonderful, you will love it! Peaceful, quiet and the stars are amazing (the food and the WINE are plentiful as well)! Hope you have a clear night.

No problem at night with flies - they miraculously disappear. The Sounds of Silence dinner is wonderful, you will love it! Peaceful, quiet and the stars are amazing (the food and the WINE are plentiful as well)! Hope you have a clear night.

Thanks for the response...That is a relief!

So does anyone know how to make arrangements for this fabulous dining experience?

I will be in Ayers Rock with a tour through Princess and the dinner is not part of the tour.

How far is is to go on our own from "Sails in the Desert" resort? We will be there on Friday Jan.4. Do they have shuttle busses or special tour excursions for the dinner ?

So does anyone know how to make arrangements for this fabulous dining experience?

I will be in Ayers Rock with a tour through Princess and the dinner is not part of the tour.

How far is is to go on our own from "Sails in the Desert" resort? We will be there on Friday Jan.4. Do they have shuttle busses or special tour excursions for the dinner ?

You cannot 'go' to the Sounds of Silence dinner on your own. It is an organised tour which is often sold out in advance. You might check out this link:

http://www.viator.com/tours/Ayers-Rock/Sounds-of-Silence-Restaurant/d359-2478_SAIAO1FIT?pref=02&aid=g1181&gclid=CP26le-Lp44CFRu-YAodCFavVg

The Sounds of Silence dinner is set up in the desert, between Ayres Rock and the Olgas - you dine under the stars with white tablecloths and silver service.

So does anyone know how to make arrangements for this fabulous dining experience?I will be in Ayers Rock with a tour through Princess and the dinner is not part of the tour.How far is is to go on our own from "Sails in the Desert" resort? We will be there on Friday Jan.4. Do they have shuttle busses or special tour excursions for the dinner ?

Or you can book it through Voyages which handles the hotels there as well. travel@voyages.com.au Price was A$149.

Glad you asked the flies question. As soon as I started going through this thread, that was the question that immediately sprang to mind. We will be at the dinner at the beginning of next month. Sounds like the hats will be necessary during the day though. :(

Are the flies everywhere except on the coast? From September 17 to October 9, we will be in Sydney, Newcastle, Tamworth, Brisbane, Cairns, Uluru and Melbourne. Should we get hats as soon as we arrive in Sydney?

Just a small question to our Aussie friends. Noted in the British press this week that there were only two weeks left to have a drink of wine or beer in the immediate vicinity of Ayres Rock as the Australian Government was banning alcohol near the Rock. Will this affect the Sounds of Silence dinner or is it outside the boundary? Doesn't matter too much to us as we drink very little but would like a glass of wine with dinner if poss. Incidentally, we booked the Sounds of Silence dinner through Viator.

Or you can book it through Voyages which handles the hotels there as well. travel@voyages.com.au Price was A$149.

Glad you asked the flies question. As soon as I started going through this thread, that was the question that immediately sprang to mind. We will be at the dinner at the beginning of next month. Sounds like the hats will be necessary during the day though. :(

Are the flies everywhere except on the coast? From September 17 to October 9, we will be in Sydney, Newcastle, Tamworth, Brisbane, Cairns, Uluru and Melbourne. Should we get hats as soon as we arrive in Sydney?

At this time of the year, flies are only a problem in 'Outback' Australia - no problems at all near the places you mention. Even Uluru is not so bad in September/October as when the weather is really hot.

At this time of the year, flies are only a problem in 'Outback' Australia - no problems at all near the places you mention. Even Uluru is not so bad in September/October as when the weather is really hot.

Hi,

Don't you believe it. The flies are a MAJOR problem in Central Australia during the day and seem to zoom in on visitors! To give you an idea, some of the guides wear what I would decribe as being akin to a beekeepers hat! Suggest you purchase one if heading out of town! Fortunately they disappear when the sun goes down.

Aquarians

A little difference of opinon here - well at least as regards the Uluru area. Somehow or another I just can't picture everyone running around Sydney and Melbourne in "beekeepper" hats. Happy to know that. :D

We will only be at Uluru for literally 24 hours from around noon to noon the next day, but I guess even part of that time could be pretty miserable without protection.

No difference of opinion really. In an earlier post I had already said I'd been in outback Australia in September/October and the flies could have carried me away! However, for 24 hours in Uluru, I think most people would cope with some fly netting over their hat! No need to get too paranoid about it, and, at the moment in September in Sydney I have not seen even one fly.

Hi,

Don't you believe it. The flies are a MAJOR problem in Central Australia during the day and seem to zoom in on visitors! To give you an idea, some of the guides wear what I would decribe as being akin to a beekeepers hat! Suggest you purchase one if heading out of town! Fortunately they disappear when the sun goes down.

Aquarians

Recently watched American Choppers episodes shot while in Australia. The Tuetel boys were wearing them. They are not a fashion statement, but they will keep the flies out of your eyes, ears, nostrils & mouth.

A fly in your nose is one of the worst feelings you can ever have. Usually only one way to get them out.

Cheers

Recently watched American Choppers episodes shot while in Australia

I saw that show too and ordered mosquito netting from the internet. I figured if those big tough guys needed protection from the flies, we would also.

We will be in Adelaid and are planning to take a Murray River Cruise up the Murray river for a couple of days then go to Kangaroo Island. Will flies be a problem in these areas in February?

I will also be in Kangaroo Island over the New Year and was wondering about flies and mosquitos at that time. Anybody have any information to share? Also are there any festivities for New Years Eve on Kangaroo Island? Any fireworks to see?

I will also be in Kangaroo Island over the New Year and was wondering about flies and mosquitos at that time. Anybody have any information to share? Also are there any festivities for New Years Eve on Kangaroo Island? Any fireworks to see?

Flies are a problem everywhere in Summer. Mosquitos vary, but the further south, the less of a problem they become. I don't think either will be bad enough to require mesh hats. Just some repellent and the occasional salute.

Fireworks - Being so close to Sydney, I have not been to Kangaroo Island for NYE fireworks. I am not aware of any public display, and private use is banned during fire season and does not fit the character of the area. If you are near a TV, tune into the Sydney fireworks.

Cheers

Flies are a problem everywhere in Summer. Mosquitos vary, but the further south, the less of a problem they become. I don't think either will be bad enough to require mesh hats. Just some repellent and the occasional salute.

Fireworks - Being so close to Sydney, I have not been to Kangaroo Island for NYE fireworks. I am not aware of any public display, and private use is banned during fire season and does not fit the character of the area. If you are near a TV, tune into the Sydney fireworks.

Cheers

Do the flies actually bite or are they just a nuisance?

You folks have me terrified of being mauled by giant bugs. I'm packing the DEET!

I also ordered something called a "Bug Stopper Top" from http://www.carolwrightgifts.com It's a one-piece garment that covers you from head to waist and arms, too. Looks much more packable than a hat. (Should I glue a few corks to it?)

Two of them with shipping and handling were $18.88. Here's a tiny URL to the page.

http://*****.com/yqx77j

We go to Ayers Rock with our cruise/tour October 23 and 24.

Sailing on RCI's Rhapsody on 10/27.

Janet

Archived