Cabin decision

Angel27315

Hi. Have not ever cruised. Talking about going as a family Christmas gift. I have seen lots of great info here and am a little overwhelmed! Definately have to do this on the cheap. Any advice on the cheapest cabin that will sleep 4 is appreciated!! If it matters the kids are 11 and 12. THANKS SO MUCH! :D

that is a great ship as I was on it back in 1995. . if it will be back from drydock by then it will be even more nice with all the improvements, waterpark, etc. . when we went on it we stayed in an interior with the 2 uppers and I didn't have any problems (I was like 15 I think back then). . otherwise if you can swing an oceanview that would be nicer as in the interiors you can't tell day from night.. just depends on personal preference. We did fine with 4 as we were only really in there to change and sleep.

I'm sure more will post with recent experience and help you out as well. Enjoy your vacation!

I've cruised on sister ship Fascination.

Beware the cabins forward (near the front) on Empress deck under the show lounge. Tend to be noisy.

Also, beware any outside cabins at the prow (very front) on Riviera deck which will get thruster or anchor noise (but I don't think any of these are cabins for 4....)

The only difference between inside cabins in category 4 (4A, 4B, etc) is the deck you're on. While it may be handy to be higher and closer to dining and pools, it may not be worth the $.

Some cabins that share a wall with the elevator can be noisy.

Make sure the kids take the upper bunks. For them, it's an adventure. For adults, it's a long way down those ladders to the bathroom at night:rolleyes:.

If you can afford the extra night, pick a 5 night cruise. Three day ones are far too short...you just unpack and have to re-pack. Four days are manageable, but 5 let you relax a bit.

If by "Christmas present" you mean you plan to travel at Christmas...I'd re-think that. It's more expensive then. Give the cruise as a gift, but travel (if you can) when it's cheapest, in early to mid January. A welcome pick-me-up and antidote to the post-holiday blues! I priced the January 14 5 day Eastern Caribbean sailing (Half Moon Cay - which is the best private island - Grand Turk and Nassau) in category 4A cabin R91, and came up with a price of $379 each for the adults plus $58 tax, and $219 for each child, plus the tax, for a total of around $1,425.

The 4 day is to Key West and Calica, Mexico. For a similar 4A cabin, I found a price of $319 per adult, $54 tax, $179 per child, same tax, for a total of $1212. Is an extra day worth the extra $210? It would be to me, partly because I'd prefer the Eastern Caribbean right now. Carnival may have to change this itinerary - in fact ALL West Caribbean. Hurricane Dean hit Costa Maya hard, and ships scheduled to stop there will have to be routed to other ports, like Calica. However, it can only handle one ship at a time (I hear:confused:). I would not be thrilled if Jamaica becomes the alternative. While Dunn's River Falls is fun, the very aggressive merchants and beggars at Ocho Rios and Montego Bay are not.

Before booking any cruise with Yucatan Mexico as a "destination", find out more about re-routing.

Thanks for the great advice! By Christmas gift I mean to go after the holidays; you're on the money with the price differences! SO not worth all the extra to go during the holidays. Husband and I are booked on the 4 day Key West and Calica next year. Would love to go on a 5 day. I work in a public school; it seems the time I have off is the most expensive times to go. IE:Spring Break! Thanksgiving. One of these days it will work out though! Thanks for the help! These boards are so friendly and informative!:)

I would pick a cabin directly--- taking a gurantee--which is the cheapest way to go you are taking a chance of getting a rollaway bed for the 4th person. Rollaways for 4 people jsut cut into the limited amount of space.. book a true quad cabin.

Inside cabins are extremely dark 24 hours a day.

Oceanview cabins will give you natural sunlight.

http://www.carnival.com/Deck_Plan.aspx?shipCode=IS

look at the deck plan-- any cabin with two dots inside will sleep 4 people.

Look at the price for 3rd and 4th person-- sometimes it will be cheaper jsut to book out 2 cabins.

We did our first cruise with 5 people in an inside cabin with saving over 700.00 - this past cruise it only costs 200 more total to get the two cabins.

I agree with the above person-- see if you can swing the 5 day.

the 3-4 day cruises are more booze cruises then the 5 day cruise.. its more relaxing and worth the extra monies.

Archived