Pregnant and Cruising

nycruiser1975

I would question the fact that your Dr. says it's ok. Especially being a high risk pregnancy. You folks have to realize, that though there is a Dr. on board, there is nursing staff on board and there's a medical center on board, it's not an OB dept. That Dr. may not have actually treated a pregnant woman in years. Nor the staff.

When I was on the Caribbean Princess in 2005, I went for a tour of the medical center. They are ICU, ER, Trauma trained. And when they found I was an Labor & delivery nurse, they were going to come get me if a pregnant woman came in. It's not their area of expertise nor comfortability. They are not L & D nurses or NICU nurses or staff. I still say/recommend no one cruise after 15 weeks of pregnancy. Once viability is possible, it's too risky.... Not that babies are viable at 15 weeks, they aren't. But to think that someone may go into preterm labor, deliver a 15 week fetus and think that had they been in a real hospital with a L & D unit, they might still be pregnant.

Or to deliver a 26 week baby, which is viable, and hope the staff can resuscitate a baby.... And your away from home! Not worth it. You might be fine.... Then again, you might not. And then, why did you deliver. Was there a massive medical problem that requires a c-section? Are they capable of that? What if your water breaks and the cord prolapses? That's an emergency c-section.... just my opinion........

Our medical group oks travel until the 24th week. After that they consider the baby viable and they will not covera hospital stay. This is my third baby. My diabetes is in control. I traveled in both of my previous pregnancies. I do not question my dr oking travel. He and I know I am under control. I am monitored every three weeks.

BTW this will be my third c-section as well.

I am not an irresponsible person and I do not appreciate you implying that I am irresponsible and unintelligent.

Sometimes I think people tend to try to help, but it can come across as judgemental. You know your body and you know what you can handle. I'm like you...I wouldn't think twice about cruising while pregnant. In fact, this is my second pregnancy, and I have traveled throughout both of them. I look at things from a completely different perspective. Something terrible could happen with a pregnancy, anytime and anywhere. What's meant to happen will happen, and if you feel safe going, then by all means you should go. Obviously you are not going to do anything to endanger you or your child, and no one should imply that you are.

Good luck to you!!

I am not an irresponsible person and I do not appreciate you implying that I am irresponsible and unintelligent.

I read the post by cruzegirl and didn't see that she was implying that you were irresponsible or unintelligent. I think she just wants everyone to know how unprepared a cruise ship would be if someone went into premature labor. These types of decisions need to be made on a case-by-case basis, with all the facts in hand, and with the consultation of your OB-GYN (preferably one who has been on a cruise & knows the type of medical services onboard).

I can say, for myself, that if I had ANY type of "high risk" classification to a pregnancy that *I* would not travel beyond the 1st trimester. That's me. I'm an NICU nurse. I know WAY too much about babies being born premature and if I ever get pregnant it will be my biggest fear.

As a L&D nurse with 6 kids, I personally would not sail after 20 weeks or so. I have seen some heartbreaking things and being at sea in premature labor would be a nightmare to me.

I don't think any nurses want to be judgemental, we just know all the sad a scary things that can happen.

As the saying goes, "ignorance is bliss", or sometimes it's scary to know too much!!

As for me, I took a cruise with my last one at 17 weeks. We did fine, but of course, I knew if anything happened, it wouldn't be good. The medical crew has a basic knowledge, but not an indepth knowledge of premature labor or care of an extreme preemie.

To each his own.....

I was thinking doing Disney World, since we never took our son and promised him, and do the cruise when the baby is old enough to go and able to do the kids club. An opinions...I would also like to do something kind of special with our son before another addition is added. Wanted to do it before I start showing. I will consult my OB as far as when the best time for us to go. Thank you all for your personal stories and your help. God Bless you all. Keep your thoughts coming please.

Also, never cruised before so please tell me which line and ship should my family and I go on:D

I was thinking doing Disney World, since we never took our son and promised him, and do the cruise when the baby is old enough to go and able to do the kids club. An opinions...I would also like to do something kind of special with our son before another addition is added. Wanted to do it before I start showing. I will consult my OB as far as when the best time for us to go. Thank you all for your personal stories and your help. God Bless you all. Keep your thoughts coming please.

Also, never cruised before so please tell me which line and ship should my family and I go on:D

I think doing something special with your son before the birth of the new baby is a great idea. Couple of things to think about: Florida is hot...most of the year. And Disney is crowded - making lines even hotter. Make sure to take plenty of breaks, drink LOTS of water, and stay as cool as possible. Secondly, you won't be able to ride a lot of the rides while pregnant (this might not be an issue for you, but I LOVE rides).

I'm sure plenty other people will chime in here about creative ways to "beat the heat" while pregnant. There are GREAT hospitals in the central Florida area (I'm getting ready to work at the local Level III NICU in the central florida area...so I know its good if anything WERE to happen - heaven forbid!).

Make sure to talk to your OB-GYN. If flying - keep WELL hydrated and walk around for a few minutes for every hour of flight time. But Disney does sound like a better option than a cruise while pregnant - you aren't "stuck" in the middle of the ocean. Different kind of vacation. And your new baby can get a jump on platinum cruises at a young age!!! :D

Congrats & heres hoping for a continued easy, healthy, uneventful pregnancy.

I agree with above post. I work in one of the level 3 NICU in Orlando and we see our share of Disney babies, have had families from all over the world. everytime I am at any of the theme parks and see a pregnant lady walking around, I cringe. However, there are lots of pregnant folks who spend all day on their feet in the hot weather and I am sure if you compare the numbers of pregnant to number who delivered early, the number delivered early would be low. We see it because we are in the field.

Is it alright to cruise while pregnant? Has anyone done it before, and are there any risk to the baby? What is the latest you can go on a cruise while pregnant? Thank you

Each cruise line may have a different standard on how far along you can be.

It is important to talk to your Dr. before any trip, not just a cruise.

Have a friend who went to Disneyworld when she was 6 months pregnant. She had early labour that the Dr.s managed to stop. The day before they planned to medivac her back to Canada she went into labour again, and had a preemie baby girl. She stayed for about a month, on her own. Her husband missed the delivery as he had to return to Canada with their other two children.

Take care and congratulations on your pregnancy!

Payd:)

Our medical group oks travel until the 24th week. After that they consider the baby viable and they will not covera hospital stay. This is my third baby. My diabetes is in control. I traveled in both of my previous pregnancies. I do not question my dr oking travel. He and I know I am under control. I am monitored every three weeks.

BTW this will be my third c-section as well.

Ok, whoa Princess Amie........

I was not implying or accusing you of being irresponsible or unintelligent... But when YOU GALS ASK our opinion, well, I'm going to give it to you......

I work in L & D and we have a level 3 NICU too. We've had patients who come to visit "whoever" and end up in our unit. Things happen when pregnant that you had not planned. Your already high risk due to diabetes and your a 3 time c-section? Personally, I wouldn't risk it. But that's me. Especially being a previous C/Section, if in labor, you could rupture your uterus. But that's the gory side of things.... I know the ships medical centers aren't set up to handle all that. I know they can give local anesthesia, could they give an epidural or spinal or general? I have no idea. But something to think about.

There are plenty of vacations that you could take within the Continental U.S. and be closer to medical services if the need should arise. I hope it never would. And you might cruise and be fine. But is it worth the risk?

But I feel the same way about people and home births. This is ONLY MY OPINON but very stupid. :confused:

I read the post by cruzegirl and didn't see that she was implying that you were irresponsible or unintelligent. I think she just wants everyone to know how unprepared a cruise ship would be if someone went into premature labor. These types of decisions need to be made on a case-by-case basis, with all the facts in hand, and with the consultation of your OB-GYN (preferably one who has been on a cruise & knows the type of medical services onboard).

I can say, for myself, that if I had ANY type of "high risk" classification to a pregnancy that *I* would not travel beyond the 1st trimester. That's me. I'm an NICU nurse. I know WAY too much about babies being born premature and if I ever get pregnant it will be my biggest fear.

Exactly....... Things can happen anywhere.... Does that mean we don't travel? No.... But pregnancy requires extra thought/consideration. I know that if I sailed, while pregnant and something happened. I would feel terribly guilty. Especially knowing that they don't have the facilities to take care of me properly....

To me, the risk is too high........

My first pregnancy was uneventful and very routine. However, my second pregnancy, I went into preterm labor at 22 weeks. A trip to the ER, IV medications and bedrest resulted in my now 10yr old son that loves to cruise with me. :)

Up until the 22 week scare, all had been routine and without any problems. No way did I see that coming and neither did my doc. Had I been more than 30 minutes away from an ER with proper medications, things would have been a disaster. I was in and out of the hospital 4 more times before delivering at 38 weeks. My doctor never could find any reason. I had no other health issues and my son was born at 7 1/2 lbs and perfectly healthy.

I would urge you to consider carefully and realize that while there is a doctor on the ship and they are able to handle some emergencies, they certainly aren't equipped to handle everything.

There a lots of vacations you can take that are just as enjoyable and will keep you within a reasonable distance of neonatal emergency care should something go wrong.

It's a calculated risk, and odds are that all would be fine should you decide to cruise. I just wanted to give you something to consider when making your decision.

I agree with you so much. We all know, pregnancy isn't an illness, but things do happen. Our granddaughter just had a very uneventful pregnancy, not even morning sickness. Luckily Abby wasn't a 22 week baby but rather a 25 week one. She was little, had a few minor problems the first week or so and gave us all a scare, but at 6 months old she is like any other 6 month old. No one would have guess her mommy would go into early labor. Most cruise lines will not allow cruising after about 24 weeks btw. I know I would certainly think a long time about cruising when more than 20 weeks along, but the OPs doctor is the best one to give advise. NMNita

Sometimes I think people tend to try to help, but it can come across as judgemental. You know your body and you know what you can handle. I'm like you...I wouldn't think twice about cruising while pregnant. In fact, this is my second pregnancy, and I have traveled throughout both of them. I look at things from a completely different perspective. Something terrible could happen with a pregnancy, anytime and anywhere. What's meant to happen will happen, and if you feel safe going, then by all means you should go. Obviously you are not going to do anything to endanger you or your child, and no one should imply that you are.

Good luck to you!!

I totally agree!

Archived