Boston Trolley Questions and How to get to Quincy Market from the Pier?

LakelandCat

Hello all! We are nearly ready to reserve a trolley tour in Boston. We have looked/reviewed CityView, BeanTown and Old Town Trolley and they all look interesting. It seems that CityView is the only one that does not stop at hotels along the route to pick up/drop of passengers. I asume this is a good thing since we don't need all the extra stops the other lines do.....or not? Also, we were told via email that to get to the ticket office for the trolley (City View) we needed to take a shuttle from the pier to Quincy Market. Has anyone done this before? ALso, any votes for the other trolleys and why? I would love to hear about your tours. We primarily want to do the Freedom Walk and historical sites and have the advantage of getting on and off the Trolley whenever we or our 1 year old needs a break. We arrive about noon and I think the Trolley companies stop the tours anywhere from 4:30 to 5:30 depending on the company. Any great local lunch places friendly to 1 year old babies? Thanks for any opinions and happy cruising.

Last year while on a Princess Cruise, I went on the Old Town Trolley tour. It was great. I do not recall stopping at any out of the way hotels to pickup passengers. It did stop at about 10 different places. They give you a great pamphlet describing what is at each of the stops.

Princess had charter buses that dropped us off at Quincy Market ($15 round trip per person). The ticket stand for the Trolley Tour is across the street and down about two blocks (near the Aquarium). Other trolley tours also have ticket centers at this location.

I have pictures in the Folder entitled "Oct06-Boston". Click the my signature link below.

We just took the Old Town Trolley in Boston on Sept 1. We stayed at the Westin Waterfront and the trolley stops there. It is Stop #17 (states it is within walking distance of Black Falcon Cruise Terminal) I think it would be a long walk. They also have Stop #18 Seaport District (Boston World Trade Center. The trolley tour was great. You just need to be carefull between 4pm & 5pm because it gets real crowded with people trying to get back to their original starting point.

By the way, the Westin Watefront hotel was very nice and a great price but a little far but close to the cruise port.

Has anyone walked from the pier to Quincy Market? Is it a safe walk? I understand it's only about a mile.

It's certainly safe in daylight, assuming standard common sense. It's an area slated for big commercial development in the next 20 years and for now they've built a giant convention center, a museum, a courthouse, and some hotels amidst several parking lots that have yet to be built up. The last third of the walk is through the financial district.

Google maps is saying it's closer to two miles than one.

It's certainly safe in daylight, assuming standard common sense. It's an area slated for big commercial development in the next 20 years and for now they've built a giant convention center, a museum, a courthouse, and some hotels amidst several parking lots that have yet to be built up. The last third of the walk is through the financial district.

Google maps is saying it's closer to two miles than one.

02143, we would really like to just find a cute little Pub, have some chowder and a couple of beers after we take the Boston Duck Tour. Do have any suggetions??

02143, we would really like to just find a cute little Pub, have some chowder and a couple of beers after we take the Boston Duck Tour. Do have any suggetions??

I don't have any personal suggestions, but I can ask around at work. There are tons of possibilities, some of them genuine and some of them corporate-owned but with a nice atmosphere and decent food. The main factor is location. Are you doing the Duck Tour from the Pru or from the Museum of Science?

I saw on another thread you asked about the Union Oyster House. If you're just looking for a snack and some beers in a cute old building, it will fit the bill. It's an expensive place for a full meal but if you're not going for that, go for it.

we took the bean town trolley and the bus driver walked around telling people how much they owed. my wife and i became aarp in our 30's and our teenagers became 12. he said we could save 54.00 dollars that way and never had a problem. all the bus drivers try to save you money! went to all the sites including old ironsides "the constitution" can get on and off when you like, another bus right behind again 15 minutes. and as far as being safe we took the subway downtown to a play and rode it back at 2 am with all the kids and i would never be scared or worried and i'm from a farm community area. hope i could be of some help!

I don't have any personal suggestions, but I can ask around at work. There are tons of possibilities, some of them genuine and some of them corporate-owned but with a nice atmosphere and decent food. The main factor is location. Are you doing the Duck Tour from the Pru or from the Museum of Science?

I saw on another thread you asked about the Union Oyster House. If you're just looking for a snack and some beers in a cute old building, it will fit the bill. It's an expensive place for a full meal but if you're not going for that, go for it.

02143, looking for a meal... we checked out the Union Oyster House menu and that is NOT what we had in mind.... we had something more in mind like where the locals go, not the tourists. There are 10 of us & I'm guessing we'll pick up the Duck at Pru.. In Ireland several years ago we all cruised together and had a great time avoiding all the touristy things and going to the local's favorites. I appreciate anything you can find out for me.

Has anyone walked from the pier to Quincy Market? Is it a safe walk? I understand it's only about a mile.

I think it's more like 2-2.5 miles from the pier to Quincy Market, at least that's what the trolley driver told us.

I booked the Old Town Trolley tour through Celebrity and maybe it's different than just doing it on your own, but the one we were on didn't stop anywhere but Quincy Market on the way back to the pier, then told us we'd have to make our own way back to the ship on another shuttle ($8) or taxi for about 30 minutes of looking around the market place.

After paying $30 for the trolley tour, I didn't want to put out any more money, so stayed on the trolley back to the ship. Didn't do any shopping in Boston, it's the only place I don't have any souvenirs from. Be sure to do your homework. I would have been better off paying a little more for one of the hop on/hop off trolleys.

02143, looking for a meal... we checked out the Union Oyster House menu and that is NOT what we had in mind.... we had something more in mind like where the locals go, not the tourists. There are 10 of us & I'm guessing we'll pick up the Duck at Pru.. In Ireland several years ago we all cruised together and had a great time avoiding all the touristy things and going to the local's favorites. I appreciate anything you can find out for me.

http://www.irishconnection.com/index.php?id=41

Black Rose or the Purple Shamrock are options. Both are near Faneuil Hall.

Archived