Maori Show?

cruzisme

we will be in Auckland, Christchurch, and Dunedin in October, 2007.

which port has the best presentation for tourists showing the Maori life/culture/heritage? any info regarding this subject would be appreciated!

within these cities, what else do you highly recommend to see or do?

TIA

I'd check to see which Maori experience is the most authentic (as in least touristy) one. I've been to several Maoi Maraes (meeting houses) both tourist and business perspectives. While I enjoyed and learned from both - the one where I was welcomed as a respected visitor was so heartwarming and moving. So...go to whichever one you can get to for an unforgettable experience, but if you can also visit a Marae and talk individually to the people, you'll treasure that experience forever. Am really looking forward to going back in March.

BTW, if you can get to the Bay of Islands while in Auckland, there is a lovely Marae there that we visited. Here's a site of interest: http://www.womentravel.co.nz/html/potiki.htm

we will be in Auckland, Christchurch, and Dunedin in October, 2007.

which port has the best presentation for tourists showing the Maori life/culture/heritage? any info regarding this subject would be appreciated!

within these cities, what else do you highly recommend to see or do?

TIA

Kia ora,

If you can get to Rotorua (where we live), which is just under three hours drive from Auckland you will be in the Maori 'heartland and experience local living plus the benefit of seeing the thermal areas with their hot springs, geysers etc., and perhaps try a hangi, where kai (food) is cooked underground or in the hot pools.

Ka kite ano

Aquariansicon7.gificon7.gif

aquarians may correct me but Rotorua is only about 45 mins each way

Kia ora,

Rotorua is about 45 mimutes drive from Tauranga & a little under 3 hours drive from Auckland. The 45 minutes would be if you flew to Rotorua from Auckland.

Aquarians

Archived