Transportation from Port of Miami to Ft. Lauderdale Airport

This is a copy and paste from an earlier post. Bottom line? LL does not have the required permit to pick up paxs in Miami that are going to FLL.

The limo/car service we used to take for our annual cruise from FLL to Miami is no longer is in business. So, I came to these boards looking for an alternative. Larry's Limo seemed to get a thumbs up. We made a reservation for them to pick us up at the Hyatt Pier 66 in FLL and take us to the port in Miami, and to pick us up at the port in Miami at the end of the cruise to take us back to FLL. The reservation was for a sedan/town car type of car. We were told that it was 150.00 including tip for the service..and that it costs more for the return trip back to FLL from Miami than it did for the FLL trip TO Miami.

Anyway, we had no problems getting to Miami from the hotel in FLL. The morning we got off the Brilliance of the Seas, DH cell phone started ringing... it was our driver from LL's telling us he was at the port and waiting for us....he called a couple of times while we were still waiting to retrieve our luggage and told us to call him when we were outside. We did, he said he'd be with us in a few minutes. He was waiting a bit further up from us. As we were walking toward him, a Port of Miami law officer approached the driver and asked him where he was dropping off....we were now closer to the officer and the driver... the driver told the officer he would be dropping off his pax (us) at Boca Raton...the officer then saw us approaching and asked us our destination. We told him FLL. The officer turned to the driver and wanted an explanation for the discrepancies. The driver said that we were the wrong pax and that he had to call his office so he could get the cell number of the Boca raton pax. The officer was livid.. he turned to us and said, "let me guess? Larry's Limo, right?' He told us that LL's does not have a permit for pick ups to FLL.. they are only allowed to take port of Miami paxs to Boca and West Palm. The officer then wrote up the driveer for as many violations as he could. In the mean time, the driver tells us that our driver would be there, shortly, to pick us up. We get on the phone with the dispatcher (owner?) at LL"s and he tell us everything is just a foul up and that the driver here with us really is not our driver. We say then, how come we talked to him on the phone this morning, just minutes ago and that the driver called us first and addressed us by name? We can get another driver in about 45 minutes! That he is already on his way. BS! The dispatcher (owner? reason we think he is owner is because he is the one we had to deal with when we tried to get our money refunded for the return trip to FLL.. oh yeah, the trip has to be paid for, in full when they drop you off for the first leg)

You can imaginee how upset we were. The whole reason we hire a car service is to avoid the throngs of thousands of debarking pax all looking for a taxi at the same time! The dispatcher told us he would pay for the taxi, refund the money for the return portion of the trip and give us a free ride to somewhere when we got to FLL. We were staying in FLL 5 days before returning, home, to Boston after Christmas.

We had the officer get us a taxi after telling LL's that would take a taxi on their dime and that we would get a receipt.

It was not a pleasant trip to FLL. My dh was fuming and so was I. I make all the travel arrangements for our cruisee and pre and post cruise stays.. I triple check every aspect to avoid problems.

When we returned home from our trip we called LL's...again the jerk tried to say that it really was just a mix up and the cop was wrong! Then he tells us he has already credited our credit card with the portion of the return trip fare.. says he never promised us he would also pay for the taxi. And then he hangs up on me. Well, cc statement comes in.. no creedit.. we call LL's back and again talk to this dispatcher (owner?) jerk . He tells us the bank must have screwed up and he will call us back that night. No call till the next day and he now says, apparently, thee book keeping dept was mistaken and that they didn't properly handle our creedit. He says he will do so, personally, today.

Did we get our credit? Yes, after much arguing and aggravation and time. We got off the Brilliance on the 22nd of December, 06. We left FLL on the 27th, we got our credit late February, 07.

Do we believe the port law officer or Larry? We're goiing with the port officer.

We would never, ever use LL's again and we want to advise others not to. Ohm btw, while the port officer was talking to us he told us that he must grab LL's drivers at leeast 3 times a week! He said he understood that this was upsetting to us but he said we got off, relatively, easy because we were not depending on LL to get us to the airport on the day of disembark... he said he has seen many, many paxs miss their flights home. You had to see this cop.. he was livid.. he said it's jerks like LL that give the port a bad name. Oh, you should have seen his face when I told him the returm portion of the fare was higher priced than the trip to the port.. we were told by LL that the higher price was beacause they (LL) pay a special port tax for trips leaving the port! Talk about balls! I know it costs LL some money that day, the cop wrote up the driver for numerous violations. Apparently Larry's Limo seems to think that those pesky fines are just a normal cost of doing business. Ya right! Business as usual.

Larry did call back to check that we had, finally, gotten our credit. Money safely credited, I told him that the same wideely read cruise message board where we first heard of LL was also going to hear, loud and clear, that LL is no good!

We have used Larrys Limo before and never had any problems at all. Since the problems in the previous post were about 9 months ago I am going to assume LL has their Port of MIA problems resolved. I have reservations with them for a 15 pass van FLL/MIA- Port/FLL the the total cost is $240 with tip. I am going to email them tomorrow and ask about previous problems to make sure we are good for our October trip.

Bev

Don't flame me...but 2e just used the Royal Caribbean Transfers. we waited approximately 45 minutes for a full bus and then were at Ft. Lauderdale airport in 25 minutes!! Our flight was at 1:30. We could have been on the earlier one. We had 2.5 hours to wait. Also saw lots of people getting into cabs while we were waiting for the bus to go. Don't know what they cost though.

We used South Florida Transportation and it was excellent. We had a white stretch limo, just beautiful. The rate for 4 of us was $110.00, everything included (tip, service charges, taxes, etc.). It was agreed upon before we docked in Miami, and when we used our cell phone to call the driver, he was already just outside the Port of Miami, waiting to hear from us.

Ask for driver Mike!

Check car rental rates... many major car rental companies do not charge one way or drop off fees for cars rented in Miami and dropped off at FLL (I used to do this all the time.) If you rent from a company that has a pier pick up, you can drive right to FLL and drop your car off across from terminal 1. And if you have time before departure, you might get to drive around a bit...

We rented a car from Avis since our flight wasn't until 4:30. I used a code that I found in the East Coast Departures forum. We took a taxi from the Port to the Avis downtown location for $11. We rented a sub-compact for $30 including all taxes and fees.

Archived