Park Plaza County Hall Hotel, London

bb2842

Hi,

Does anyone know anything about the Park Plaza County Hall hotel in London? Carnival is offering it as part of a 3 night pre-cruise stay in London for about $900. That would include price for transfer from Heathrow to hotel and then transfer to Dover. I'm not sure if that is a good price. This is for an Aug 18th, 2008 cruise on the Splendor.

Thanks for any information.

Does anyone know anything about the Park Plaza County Hall hotel in London?
New hotel, not yet open AFAIK. Right next to Waterloo station, very close to the London Eye - in terms of location it probably has all the advantages of the Marriott at County Hall although few if any of the views. It happens to overlook one of the most interesting building sites in central London - an infamous eyesore of an office block in the middle of a roundabout has been demolished and an aparthotel is being built there now.

Is that a per person price, or a couple?

Would that area be more convenient for walking to attractions for a first time visitor than Cromwell St. or High Kensington area? Is it near the City Inn?

I think it is scheduled to open in November, 2007.

In my case the $900 is for one person, don't know what it would be for a couple.
Are you travelling on your own?

If you are, the direct booking rate for this hotel starts from £95 per room per night for your dates (15-18 August 2008). That's £285. A taxi from Heathrow to the hotel would probably be about £50. And you can easily get to Dover by taxi (about £5) + train (about £25) + taxi (about £5). So the total cost if you're doing it like that would be about £370, as opposed to the £450 or so the cruise line would charge you. So that may give you an idea about whether the cruise line's proposition is good value for you.

Hmmmmmmmm...

Looks like a nice hotel...at least from the website...

I checked my dates (August 2-4, 2008) and I can get this one for £95 per night as well (or £110 with breakfast included)--the same price as I currently have a reservation on the Radisson Edwardian Kenilworth...I also have a reservation for £82 per night at the Holiday Inn Bloomsbury...

I have never stayed on the "other" side of the Thames before...How is this neighborhood? Convenient or inconvenient? Anything nearby in the way of restaurants, grocery stores, shops, etc?

How would you compare the three--Edwardian Kenilworth/Holiday Inn Bloomsbury/Park Plaza County Hall...?

I note that in the room description here it claims the rooms are 20 square meters...the hotel description states:

"Comprising of 398 beautifully air-conditioned designed suites and studios - each room is fully-equipped with kitchenette, living area and work space plus en-suite bathroom... "

That "air-conditioned part is very important to me, of course...

Should I book this one and drop the other two? Or is it a "bargain" for a reason? Or is one of the others a better choice for a reason?

Thanks...

I have never stayed on the "other" side of the Thames before...How is this neighborhood? Convenient or inconvenient? Anything nearby in the way of restaurants, grocery stores, shops, etc?

Should I book this one and drop the other two? Or is it a "bargain" for a reason?

If you read all the reviews about the Marriott County Hall, looking for comments about its location, you will know everything you need to know about the location of this hotel. It really is just around the corner. The area is plentifully supplied with restaurants at a number of levels, and it's no more than about 20 minutes' walk to the Covent Garden area anyway.

I suspect that the rates are good at the moment because the hotel is still two months away from opening, there is no track record or market profile, and nobody is yet booking many groups or corporates into the hotel for these reasons.

Hmmmmmmmm...

Looks like a nice hotel...at least from the website...

I checked my dates (August 2-4, 2008) and I can get this one for £95 per night as well (or £110 with breakfast included)--the same price as I currently have a reservation on the Radisson Edwardian Kenilworth...I also have a reservation for £82 per night at the Holiday Inn Bloomsbury...

How would you compare the three--Edwardian Kenilworth/Holiday Inn Bloomsbury/Park Plaza County Hall...?

I note that in the room description here it claims the rooms are 20 square meters...the hotel description states:

"Comprising of 398 beautifully air-conditioned designed suites and studios - each room is fully-equipped with kitchenette, living area and work space plus en-suite bathroom... "

Should I book this one and drop the other two? Or is it a "bargain" for a reason? Or is one of the others a better choice for a reason?

Thanks...

Are you getting that rate from an internet website , or directly from the hotel?

Thanks. The reason I wasn't seeing the rate with breakfast is because that is only valid on a weekend stay. We are arriving for 3 nights, starting on a Thursday.

Looks like in our case the rate from the cruiseline comes out to the same with all the transfers as if we book on our own, but using a private car to Dover for 6 people sharing. Might just be easier to let the cruiseline do this one!

Thanks again.

I must admit, Im always at a bit of a loss to understand why a/c is so important in London. It can be hot (sometimes) but most often not, even in summer. Look at this year:

in April we were warm;

in May, June & July we were cool and incredibly wet;

and in August we were cool to warm-ish, and dry-ish.

Right now the temps have gone back up a bit, but still only to the high 70s in London today, and lower for the rest of the week & weekend. Average for September is below 70 in the daytime, and below 60 at night.

I must admit, Im always at a bit of a loss to understand why a/c is so important in London. It can be hot (sometimes) but most often not, even in summer.

Tom...

It's because we were in Britain post cruise in August of 2001...While in London, we stayed at the Best Western Paddington Court...which had no air conditoning in the rooms...We were paying good money for what was supposed to be a four star hotel...

The weather was incredibly hot...and muggy...

We were traveling with our daughters...

Everyone was miserable...

All the hotel could do was to offer us a fan...which merely blew the hot, muggy air around the room...

No one in my family will ever forget how miserable it all was...

If I ever book another hotel without air conditioning, my wife will no doubt divorce me...

I showed Beth the website for the Park Plaza hotel this evening when I got home...Her first unsolicited comment: "Ooh...It's brand new...it must have good air conditioning"...She now wants to stay 3 nights instead of the 2 we originally planned...

Enough said...

If you are, the direct booking rate for this hotel starts from £95 per room per night for your dates (15-18 August 2008). That's £285. A taxi from Heathrow to the hotel would probably be about £50. And you can easily get to Dover by taxi (about £5) + train (about £25) + taxi (about £5). So the total cost if you're doing it like that would be about £370, as opposed to the £450 or so the cruise line would charge you. So that may give you an idea about whether the cruise line's proposition is good value for you.

Thanks for the cost comparison. It does give me an idea. It may be easier to just go with Carnival's package. Thanks again.

Actually, I just booked it for three nights myself...So, I'll throw in this reminder: Don't forget the 17.5% tax (okay, not a hotel tax but a genral sales tax, but needs to be figured in just the same)...

The total--with tax--as confirmed on my reservation--is £334.88 ...that includes the £285 plus £49.88 tax...

I assume that what the cruise line quotes you includes tax.

Add the £85 that Globaliser estimated for taxis/trains...and you are at approximately £420...which at today's approximate exchange rates (2.0236) comes out to approximately $850...

If Carnival is only charging you $900, I would go with their deal...that way, they are handling everything for you...and you won't have to deal with finding taxis and connecting with trains on your own...$50 is a rather small premium to pay for that service...

Did you forget to include the cost for breakfast in your estimate? Carnival includes that in the rate. Also baggage handling. Seems to come out pretty much the same for 2 people either way. Is it more convenient to let the cruiseline handle all the transfers, then? Only comes out to a few pounds less if we share the ride to Dover with 4 other people.

The location of this new hotel sounds better than any of the other options I have tentatively booked. Also love the new beds, new bathrooms, new everything about it. Guess we will start to hear back from guests after they open in November!

Just a sidenote- it's fun chatting with you again! Last year when we were planning our 2006 summer Liberty cruise to the Mediterranean you were very infomative! I remember you helped us out with Venice details. Guess you love to cruise! And thanks again!

Archived