CocoCay weather question

St. Louis Sal

It depends. I hope I don't sound flippant. December is a month in which cold snaps can hit hard in the Bahamas for a few days then the weather can be perfect or even hot for a few days. The weather is quite variable that time of year.

Then you get the strange situation in which the water is actually warmer than the air. That happens too that time of year as it does in South Florida.

We've been in Coco Cay twice when it was chilly, but that didn't seem to slow down anybody who wanted to swim, snorkle or do other water activities. I wouldn't have wanted to go in the water, but plenty of people did and appeared to have a great time.

I beleive that sometimes when the weather is bad at CocoCay, the Mariner heads on over to San Juan, but the second day, not the first. They did this 2 sailings before i was on the Mariner. The weather when I was in CocoCay, which was in October was perfect. It will really depend.

Thanks for the replies; I guess we'll just keep our fingers crossed. I'm not a swimmer or a snorkeler but my daughter is really looking forward to it. I remember on Mariner we did do San Juan one time as a replacement. The Noordam did Half Moon Cay when we were on in April and I thought it was a little cool for swimming.

Thanks again,

St. Louis Sal

• 3 weeks later...

I was there the first week of December in 2004. The air temps were in the low 80s and it was breezy. There were also several big thick clouds covering the sun occasionally. The water was just barely tolerable for swimming. It was a bit chilly at first, but once you got moving it was ok. It was actually quite pleasant for snorkeling though.

Vacationers enjoy the warm Bahamian reception they receive and the idyllic climate. The temperatures during the summer months are between 80-90 degrees Fahrenheit and in the winter 70-80 degrees Fahrenheit. Night time temperatures are generally 5-20 degrees cooler. The Bahama Islands water temperature varies between 72 to 84 degrees, winter to summer. Even during the rainy season, May through September, the showers generally clear quickly.

Archived