Looking for Athens Restaurant Recommendations

We are going on the Nov. 24th Galaxy cruise and doing a one night pre-cruise stay in Athens. There are 12-14 of us that would like to get together on Nov. 23rd for cocktails and dinner in the early evening.

Most of us will be staying at hotels in the Plaka and Acropolis areas and looking for a fairly reasonable restaurant that we can all walk to.

I have been researching several restaurants that others have recommended. Some offer fine dining and on the expensive side. I am looking for a moderately priced restaurant because I do not know how much everyone wants to spend for dinner. Some have said to avoid the Plaka area because it is too touristy. A view of the Acropolis would be nice!

I wondered if all you CCer's that have been to Athens could give me some recommendations (and the websites) to check out. Several people have recommended "Strofi Tavern and Tavern of the Psaras as being decent places to eat. Samantha Brown's Travel Channel recommended Taverna tou Psarra in the Plaka.

Thank you for any help!

Mary

We are going on the Nov. 24th Galaxy cruise and doing a one night pre-cruise stay in Athens. There are 12-14 of us that would like to get together on Nov. 23rd for cocktails and dinner in the early evening.

Most of us will be staying at hotels in the Plaka and Acropolis areas and looking for a fairly reasonable restaurant that we can all walk to.

I have been researching several restaurants that others have recommended. Some offer fine dining and on the expensive side. I am looking for a moderately priced restaurant because I do not know how much everyone wants to spend for dinner. Some have said to avoid the Plaka area because it is too touristy. A view of the Acropolis would be nice!

I wondered if all you CCer's that have been to Athens could give me some recommendations (and the websites) to check out. Several people have recommended "Strofi Tavern and Tavern of the Psaras as being decent places to eat. Samantha Brown's Travel Channel recommended Taverna tou Psarra in the Plaka.

Thank you for any help!

Mary

Just go to Plaka but do not follow any PROMOTER who are trying to pull you in their restaurant!!!

We just went to a restaurant in the basement.

The food was great...

It was inexpensive...

But greek service... i. e. after everything is served do not expect any waiter will come to carry away your used plates...

It's more "home" style. Everything in the center and you share.

So it would not make sense to order the same food.

Regards,

HeinBloed

We enjoyed Thanasis in Monastiraki Square in the Plaka - very popular with locals, casual, reasonably priced and the food is good. It was recommended by Rick Steves.

I don't think they have their own website but a google search of Thanasis will bring up a number of recommendations for this restaurant.

Rick Steve's article...with recommendations for additional restaurants (and a lot of other helpful info on Athens): http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/greece/athens.htm

Right outside the Plaka area is a resto called Daphne's..a few of us here on this board have eaten there and loved it.It is only open for dinner,and there is no view of the Acropilis,but the food is wonderful.I am sure your hotle can get you reservations,and directions although not hard to find.

Susan M

We looked for Thanasis last time we were there. What exactly does it look like and where exactly is it? I had printed out the RS page, but after walking up and down we ended up eating at a place that had the spinning meat at a side window and seating both inside and under a covered terrace. Maybe that was it--the food was good and it was crowded, but this time I do want to find Thanasis for real. Any landmarks to look for?

Susan M

We looked for Thanasis last time we were there. What exactly does it look like and where exactly is it?

We had a hard time finding it too - had given up on finding it and only realized we were there when I saw the name "Thanasis" on an ashtray. It's on the corner of Mitropoleos at Monastiraki Square. A white awning with the greek spelling of the name on the awning. The tables (inside and outside) face the street and not the square.

Have a look at post #10 of this thread ... it has the Greek spelling of Thanasis: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=588639&highlight=thanasis

This website has photo of the awning - scroll down to Thanasis: http://http://www.athens taxi.net/athens/athens_restaurants.htm (note...take the space out between athens and taxi when you cut and paste it.)

Cberge beat me to the punch (as usual). Whenever we are in Athens there is no question that we will have at least one dinner at Daphnes. This is also very convenient if you are staying near the Plaka. You will need a reservation for Daphne's and for a large group I would e-mail the hotel concierge in advance. Daphne's has a wonderful garden where you can dine outdoors if the weather is cooperative and if you happen to have good weather have your concierge call them back and request the garden/courtyard. You can research this restaurant on the internet (its well known) and although its not cheap, I tend to consider it in the moderate price range.

Hank

We were in Athens in April for 4 days post-cruise. Our guide recommended Dionysos Cafe and Restaurant. It is across the street from the Acropolis. Their address is 43 Rovertou Gali Street. The cafe is on the first level and the main restaurant is on the top level with either outside or inside dining. Food is ok but the view is absolutely breathtaking. As night falls, the lights around the Parthenon grow brighter until it appears to be a painting. This was one of the most beautiful sights that I will never forget.

I don't believe they have a web site, but their phone number is +30 210 921 1998.

Enjoy

Hi,

I just found this website w/ Thanasis listed on it w/ a picture also.

http://********************/athens/athens_restaurants.htm

Mary

Hi Mary, I think this is the same link that I posted above: http://www.athens taxi.net/athens/athens_restaurants.htm (note...take the space out between athens and taxi when you cut and paste it.)

Archived