Train to Seward or Whittier? I am confused. Help

cruisingw/mom

This year we did the Kenai Fjords boat tour out of Seward and we rented a car from Anchorage. Our ship was departing from Seward.

Next year we are planning a land tour only. We have been to Alaska both cruising and land several times and have never been on the train. So we thought we would give it a whirl. We picked the train going from Anchorage to Seward as I read here on the boards this is most scenic. However we are planning on taken a PWS tour out of Whittier. This boat tour we have never done.

My question are?

1) How many trains depart from Anchorage each day to go to Seward? I thought just 1 but am I wrong? Read here on someone taking the 1:00 train.

2) Am I correct in stating the train leaves Anchorage at around 6:30am. Then return trip leaves at 6:15pm from Seward?

3) Is this route (Anchorage to Seward) the most scenic of the trains rides for all of Alaska (Interior)? If not which one is?

4) Since we plan on going to Whittier is perhaps the train just as scenic Anchorage from Whittier? What is the difference in the 2. Anchorage to Seward vs Anchorage to Whittier.

5) And finally do all train route of the dome car?

Thanks so Much

1) How many trains depart from Anchorage each day to go to Seward? I thought just 1 but am I wrong? Read here on someone taking the 1:00 train.

Only one public train at 6.45am this year. The later trains are cruise-contracted trains and not available to the general public.

2) Am I correct in stating the train leaves Anchorage at around 6:30am. Then return trip leaves at 6:15pm from Seward?

Yes.

3) Is this route (Anchorage to Seward) the most scenic of the trains rides for all of Alaska (Interior)? If not which one is?

Yes it is very scenic. But if time or cost forces you to drive you won't be disappointed.

4) Since we plan on going to Whittier is perhaps the train just as scenic Anchorage from Whittier? What is the difference in the 2. Anchorage to Seward vs Anchorage to Whittier.

The most scenic portion of the train is after the Turnagain Arm en route to Seward. The train to Whittier follows the same path as the road so you can get the same views by car to Whittier as you do by train.

5) And finally do all train route of the dome car?

Your question is unclear but all trains have 1 or 2 dome cars with about 20-24 seats each. You are supposed to spend 20-30 minutes there at a time but it was never full when I took the train on August 24 and I could stay there the entire time. I did change seats a couple of times to allow couples to sit together but it was not a problem to stay there when the car was not full.

There are 2 trains out of Anchorage each day, going south, one to Whittier, the other to Seward. The Seward to Anchorage train leaves 6pm daily. Whittier to Anchorage train leaves 6:15pm daily.

The Anchorage/Seward train is the most scenic of the Alaska RR. It's not just the Arm views that are scenic, but the glacier valley views too. Clearly for the Arm the ability to stop at the many pull offs is superior to taking the train.

The Whittier/Anchorage train, parallels the Seward Highway, the entire Arm run.

The difference in the Seward and Whittier runs are the glacier valley section, of the Seward route, which is unaccessable any other way.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for all the information everyone

My parents seem to think the train will be the most scenic way to go to Whittier and that we will learn more by being in the train. What I am reading is that the train is not necessarily more scenic and I don't get the impression there is any commentary about the area....would that be correct?

Also, if we take the train, can we get one from Denali or do they only run from Anchorage?

Thanks for your help and any feedback...

Susan

Thank you for all the information everyone

My parents seem to think the train will be the most scenic way to go to Whittier and that we will learn more by being in the train. What I am reading is that the train is not necessarily more scenic and I don't get the impression there is any commentary about the area....would that be correct?

Also, if we take the train, can we get one from Denali or do they only run from Anchorage?

Thanks for your help and any feedback...

Susan

The Anchorage/Whittier train parallels the road the entire way, there may be some commentary but it's only a 2 hour train ride. The Arm is spectacular scenery with it superior to be in a car and able to stop. :)

It is 2 separate trains you would need if you go to Denali Park, with at least 1 night in between needed in Anchorage. Princess, is the only "one train" option, probably only available to people on cruisetours- 10 hours.

Thank you budget queen, that helps a lot!!!!

We were going to take Princess pre-cruise land tour and noticed the 10 hour train ride and wondered what it would be like. After reading this board it looks like people prefer to do their pre-cruise land tour on their own vs through Princess.

So all this iformation helps me sort out what we want to do.

Thanks again,

Susan

Archived