Vigo, Spain

I am wondering if anyone has been to the port of Vigo, Spain. We are stopping there while cruising on the Norwegian Gem next month. I'm just curious to know of any recommendations on what to do while there.

Thanks!

I think you're probably on the same cruise we are. There's a great group of us chatting about the cruise over on the roll call, please come and join us

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=454288&page=31

We're also wondering what to do in Vigo or close by - all suggestions appreciated.

Vigo: Take the tour to Santiago de la Compostela. The cathedral is awe inspiring. Visit in the morning to attend a service and view the censor swings, then return after lunch when it is less crowded for a more complete tour of the cathedral.

For centuries pilgrims have walked across the breadth of Europe to visit the burial place of St. James. His remains rest in a silver sepulcher located in the cathedral’s lower burial chamber. The cathedral is the quintessential example of gothic architecture. The effect of the interior sculptures, paintings and carvings was so overwhelming that I experienced near sensory overload. This is a site that deserves more time to explore and understand. There is an excellent five star hotel, The Parador, adjacent to the cathedral. Any return visit to Europe would include booking a couple of days there to better appreciate this amazing cathedral and its surroundings.

I'm just curious to know of any recommendations on what to do while there.
Where are our manners? Welcome to CC, nova scotia momma!

Santiago de Compostela must be number one on anyone's list for this port (and likewise for La Coruna). But it isn't necessary to take a ship's tour. I've done it a couple of times by renting a car and driving there myself. The trip from either port is easy and the road is good. You get much more flexibility in your day if you DIY.

Thanks for the information. Do you remember what company you booked your car with? Are they located near the pier and is it still easy to get around if you don't know any Spanish? I would hate to get lost and miss the ship!!

I was just looking at the tour offered on NCL website and they go to Santiago, the Pazo de Oca gardens as well as providing lunch for $159 pp.

Do you remember what company you booked your car with? Are they located near the pier and is it still easy to get around if you don't know any Spanish? I would hate to get lost and miss the ship!!
The trips I've actually made I did from La Coruna, where I've rented from two different places.

But last time, there was some information that the ship might call at Vigo instead. So as a precaution, I made a reservation there. There's a Hertz office whose address is quoted as Arenal 104, Vigo - and I think it must be somewhere around here. It looked like it was pretty close to where cruise ships were likely to dock.

You'd want to see if you can find out where the ship will actually dock. And also take the company's central reservations number so you can call for help if you really can't find the location. If you're going to do this, I'd always recommend booking a rate where you pay at the counter and there is no penalty for no-showing - this is so that you don't lose any money if the ship should fail to make it to the port. And if you do that, there's no money lost if you have a navigational disaster and never find the location either!

Once you've set off from there, it should be easy to find your way back. With the excellent free maps now available online from companies like Google, which you can find and print, navigation once you're in the car should be no problem, and the same goes for finding your way back to the ship from the rental location.

For the last trip, it cost the five of us about $35 each for the car to Santiago (including petrol), plus an excellent and extraordinarily filling lunch for about €10 each, IIRC.

We were in Vigo a couple of years ago. It was a Sunday and nothing but tourist shops were open. We did take the Hop On Hop Off bus. We really enjoyed that. Cost? can't remember.

One thing I kick myself for not buying is a cork purse while in Vigo. I put it off and reget it to this day. So check them out.

We're taking the ship excursion for this one, just to be on the safe side. Usually, we book our own shore excursions, but not this time.

We were in Nova Scotia and PEI for 2 wonderful weeks in July - you live in a beautiful party of the world.

Archived