Artificial nail addict completes 12 step program

coolcat12

In need some emotional support:o.

I have finally grown out my nails after having the artificial ones for along time. I plan to keep clear polish and neat nails but I still feel like my nails look sort of...well...feral!

I am going on a 15 day cruise and then another 7 day land vacation next month and want to look semi-respectable at least in the fingernail department. The pull of the nail salon is drawing me back....

I have finally grown out my nails after having the artificial ones for along time. I plan to keep clear polish and neat nails but I still feel like my nails look sort of...well...feral!

I am going on a 15 day cruise and then another 7 day land vacation next month and want to look semi-respectable at least in the fingernail department. The pull of the nail salon is drawing me back....

Wish I had a picture to post of my natural unferal looking nails for you to see. People have asked me if they're real. I guess that could be considered a back-handed compliment.:) Be strong.

hang in there, coolcat 12, with your natural nails; clear polish is fine.

I have always found that wearing nail polish and then removing it produces, for me, unnaturally dry nails, which then means a good month of recuperation time for them.

so on special occasions I will wear coloured polish, but otherwise, just buffing them and leaving them natural will be my continued routine.

I understand the draw of the nail salon; artificial nails do look good but I will stick with my natural ones! people do love my natural ones when they are looking healthy (ie no ridges, splits)

Have you ever thought of trying "press on" nails?

I just spent the whole summer growing my natural nails to a beautiful long length and kept a french tip nail polish on them to keep them strong (which I did myself). People would compliment me all the time, they thought I had fake ones... but alas, we can't have everything.... One broke all the way down. I tried to save it but I couldn't. Then, another broke today.... I just want to cry!!! 24 days before my cruise!!!! So, this is what I did... I cut all of them off. I filed them down and rounded the edges smooth..you know, like the models in magazines... They don't have long nails, just short rounded, neatly manicured ones... I just thought - less stress, more fun and just as sexy!!!! Enjoy your nails, keep them short and neat and treat yourself to the occasional manicure... I am!!!

I gave up my fake nails a year ago. For me, the clincher was when I realized I could put the $400 or more I spent on nails each year into the "cruise fund" ;)

I am not employed right now so I am more thoughtful about where the $$$ goes so I understand you.:)

Just going to keep my short nails and be happy with them. I really appreciate my CC friends keeping me outta the salon this week!

Yup, more for the cruise fund.

The salon nails are nice as long as they are perfect. Nothing worse than going on vacation and damaging a nail that you can't repair. Looks better natural!

Payd:)

This year, I broke a 15 year personal tradition of fake nails and went to short, manicured, painted nails. I still have a manicure every 2 weeks, with a very pretty pale pink polish, but keep them short. So much easier to maintain, answer the phone, dial the phone, and type. No more long nails for me!

I gave up my fake nails a year ago. For me, the clincher was when I realized I could put the $400 or more I spent on nails each year into the "cruise fund" ;)

Same here! Except my nails (gel) were running me closer to $800 a year :eek: $30 here and there doesn't seem like much but when I added it up and realized the cost, I thought this just has to stop! So I had the gel overlay removed last weekend and I'm still adjusting to the softer, slightly shorter nails - I feel your pain coolcat - a trip to the nail salon is soo tempting - but so is $800 towards another cruise :D

Normally I'd say if you get regular professional manicures you'll be surprised at how much healthier your nails we get, quicker. BUT! I don't want to be the one sending you the nail salon, one wiff and you may have a relapse. I can't have that on my conscience!

Seriously though, buff them regularly. I use a spongy square thing. Side one evens out, side 2 smooths, side 3 buffs, side 4 shines. When I'm done, it looks like I have on clear nail polish, but I don't. You can find these little block thingys at any drugstore for a couple bucks.

I use a spongy square thing. Side one evens out, side 2 smooths, side 3 buffs, side 4 shines. When I'm done, it looks like I have on clear nail polish, but I don't. You can find these little block thingys at any drugstore for a couple bucks.

I never bought one of those until this weekend...it works great:) I am going to the salon but only for a pedi and a regular manicure. I am starting to love my "shorties".

Thanks everybody:) :)

I never bought one of those until this weekend...it works great I am going to the salon but only for a pedi and a regular manicure. I am starting to love my "shorties".

Thanks everybody

I had one of these too, but I found that my nails were splitting and peeling much more easily. Maybe I was buffing too much, I don't know. :confused: Since then, I haven't used it at all and the nails seem to have gotten stronger. Sometimes I use a clear polish w/strengthener but usually I just go natural.

I can't keep regular polish on without chipping, I don't know what it is, but as soon as I'm out the door of the salon, bam, a chip! :rolleyes:

To the OP, be strong, I think nails are healthier if they can "breathe" anyway (anyone know if is this right?) so just think of all the germs which aren't under your nails causing a ruckus! :p

Also, sometimes really long nails on people freak me out, anyway. Like the women with the really, really, really long nails. :eek: The ones that use the tips of their nails to dial a phone or type since they can't reach the buttons with the pads of their fingers. Those scare me!!! :D

(I hope I haven't offended anyone...) Just trying to say natural is a-ok in my book.

I never bought one of those until this weekend...it works great:) I am going to the salon but only for a pedi and a regular manicure. I am starting to love my "shorties".

Thanks everybody:) :)

That's great. Congratulations!

I think fake nails look terrible, so you've got my vote for better looking hands already!

Stay strong! And use the money for your cruise!

it was a pleasure reading all the other comments! I always thought I was in the minority by having natural nails. I keep them clean, filed, etc. No pointy, stabby ones here!

I knew it would be expensive but never realized the $$$ the nails took.

Just think of all that $$$ being saved for another cruise, land tour, new clothes, renovs for the house/condo, a new car, boat, child's education..... the list goes on!

hurrah for natural nail ladies!;)

My real nails are about an inch long which I cut from time to time because they can get a little out of control, I use a frosty pale pink nail polish by OPI and seal it with a top coat. darker colors tend to stain my natural nails :(

I do tend to stick to frosts and sheers because you can't see if they become chipped unless you're up close and personal and no nail staining, plus, if they're neutral enough that can go with everything.

I also once a week give myself a manicure. In that I include giving my nails and cuticles a massage with vitamin e.

I have a white 3 sided block buffer that I use to keep the ridges down to a minimum. I only use it if I need it. I also use a metal nail file, one side rough the other smooth. My nails are pretty thick though and can withstand a heck of a lot.

I've worn fakes only twice and they did so much damage I would never do it again. The tech had to cut my natural nail pretty far down just to make them fit right which told me enough that I need to keep my money in my pocket!

At any rate, regular care (as long as its not too aggressive) can do wonders for a persons nails.

I think you can do it...just start slow before you know it, you'll be asking why you bothered with them in the first place;)

-Q

Archived