NCL Price Adjustments After Booking

jdarch

Sheesh, what a lot of inconsistency in the policy. I did want to mention that if a price drop is not listed as "for new bookings only" that it's much easier to get them to adjust the fare no problem.

I also really loathe the "don't bother to cancel and rebook because we'll flag you and charge you the original fare" deal. It ticks me off. Of course it's their cruise line and they can do what they want to do with pricing. But they have no way of knowing if I canceled a cruise last week because I thought I couldn't go, but now I know I can, so I'm going to rebook. You can bet your you-know-what that if the fare had gone up they'd say, "Well, you canceled, so now you have to pay the current higher fare." The same thing should be true if the fare has gone down. I wouldn't quibble if the fare had gone up because that's the way it goes. I would quibble if the fare had gone down and they refused to honor it. I would, in fact, not rebook but would look elsewhere because it should work the same either way.

It is the same as if I had ordered a car, but then canceled the order. (In fact I did do that once because we decided that model wouldn't work for us.) Had we changed our minds, we would have paid whatever the then current price was (higher or lower) because it would be a new sale.

(BTW, I heard that RCI is trying the same deal with the "don't bother to cancel and rebook" thing. Not going over too well.)

beachchick

Thanks for the info on RCI. When I talked to my agent a week or so ago, he thought RCI was still excellent about allowing people to get the current price. I will definitely be cautious before booking with them.

I agree about the cancelling. I told someone last week..what if something came up, and then you could go after all. You are exactly correct in my opinion.

Okay in fairness: NCL has finally adjusted our cruise price as they advertised they would. However, it took a week, four phone calls, four reps, and a supervisor who initially would not return my messages; he apparently had other priorities since last week. My 4th call today got a very pleasant rep who was able to resolve this - when the supervisor wouldn't pick up, she put me on hold to find this supervisor in person! As you'll notice below, we just joined the ranks of those who are looking forward to the cruise we want - despite NCL's crappy business practices.

Thanks for the info on RCI. When I talked to my agent a week or so ago, he thought RCI was still excellent about allowing people to get the current price. I will definitely be cautious before booking with them.

I agree about the cancelling. I told someone last week..what if something came up, and then you could go after all. You are exactly correct in my opinion.

I just want to clarify that this hasn't happened to us personally. However, I did read a couple of threads on the RCI forum about price adjustments where members reported being told that they wouldn't be allowed to cancel and rebook, even if it was before final payment, but would be charged the original fare. But my information is at least second-hand from other members, so take it with a grain of salt.

beachchick

Archived