NCL Price Adjustments After Booking

jdarch

I'm in the same situation as you. I must book in advance since I need to request my time off well in advance

There is no black and white in this issue since we all have our own unique circumstances. The only "idiocy" in all of this is an odd restrictive cruise line policy that penalizes those who do exactly what benefits the cruise line most, book and and pay early.

I think many of us are in the same circumstance with vacation requests at work. I can request 6 months out, and it's first come, first served. So I definitely like to get requests in EARLY even if I haven't decided where/what I'm doing yet. What I've done in the past is check out itineraries for a few weeks I'm interested in sailing out of MIA or FLL, since they offer the most choices. Most lines sail the same itineraries or similar within a month time frame. I ask for the week I want from work and THEN go looking for sailings for the week I get approval.

For example, for the week of Feb 2, 2008, doing a simple online agency search by date I can see there are a total of 24 (!!!) Eastern and Western Caribbean sailings on Saturday and Sunday between FLL and MIA!! That's alot of choices that we all have even if we lock into a particular vacation week.

If NCL is making you angry enough, there are soooo many options available now!

Even with Alaska, every line has ships going there every week and some lines, like HAL, have MOST of their ships there during the summer. You can choose your week, then choose your line!

No one is locked into NCL. I'm always checking prices for alternate sailings for the dates I book...I'm not that loyal to one ship or line as you can see by my sig. line. If I see an amazing price on even a different itinerary in the Caribbean, I'd jump ship if I wasn't within the penalty period. Of course the next two sailings I'm on are New Year's and EAster so the pricing I have now is truly GREAT and both ships selling nicely and pricing well about what I've paid at this point.

But when I requested those vacation weeks it was well before I even looked at sailings. I knew I wanted to go somewhere in the Caribbean for those weeks and knew I had plenty of options and I did! It was a difficult, but fun, decision making process. But nothing said I HAD to book the cruise EARLY because that was my vacation week....even if I'd waited till now, there still are plenty of balcony cabins (my preferred) on my New Year's sailing and we're only several weeks away from final payment!

Cruiselines really have to realize there IS competition out there and they're not the only game in town.

Here's the way I would do it if I had to commit to a specific cruise AND if I had a booking which could be canceled without penalty,

I would...

Call 1- Book a new file on a "courtesy" hold for the same cruise. There is no "cross reference" by name as previously stated. I work in the industry, and when you're making a new booking, there is no such thing. Make sure the booking is exactly what you want (IE cabin & price).

***NOTE-MAKE SURE YOU WRITE DOWN AGENT NAMES AND IF IT'S THE SAME AGENT ON SUBSEQUENT CALLS THEN HANG UP! ALSO, WAIT ABOUT 5 MINUTES BETWEEN CALLS TO MAKE SURE THE AGENT YOU SPOKE TO GETS ANOTHER CALL.

Call 2- On the second call, ask the agent to pull up your original booking by its confirmation number. Then, tell them you've changed your mind and ask them to cancel it. Say Thank You and hang up.

Call 3- Call in again. Ask the agent to retrieve your NEW booking BY CONFIRMATION NUMBER (in this case it's the one from Call 1). Then Pay and enjoy your savings.

The only way a cruise line or airline telephone agent will know you have multiple bookings, is if they try to pull up your booking by name. If you only give them your booking number, they will never know.

Hope this helped.

Hal

Gosh, I guess I have been luckier than most of you. I booked our 9-9-07 Pearl Alaska cruise 15 months out. I have gotten 3 price adjustments before final payment. Just watched the price on the website and as it dropped, called my NCL cruise consultation and she adjusted the price. Last price adjustment was when I called to make final payment. Also, got onboard credit when the Alaska tourist tax was added and I complained about the increase in cost.

I am really happy for you.(re: successful negotiations for new rate,etc)..and jealous that you have found such a professional and dilligent TA -don't loose her/him!!!! I know we can't mention names...etc..but I am curious...are they B&M or internet TA..?

Newbie to cruising here! I know what TA is..but have no clue what

B&M means...

But he is local...been in the business 18 years...travels a lot himself..

and has been a wealth of information for us.

We have decided he is a keeper!

For anyone looking for my email address, apparently CC does not allow us to post them in here (I had a post deleted because it was there) nor do they allow contact info in the profile any longer.

I did, however, post my Yahoo messenger address in my profile.

Nope, that's gone. I'd sure like to ask you something. Perhaps you can nip over to another website where people have gone to talk about cruise travel?

xyzxyz.20.xyz1@spamgourmet.com

B&M = Bricks and Mortar. It's getting harder to find a good one of those too.

XYZX another poster found me uisng my messenger address.

Thanks...yes, my TA is B&M...he appears to absolutely love his job which is a really big plus.

We booked ahead of time and were aware that we may or may not get price adjustments; when we booked we knew the cruise would cost X amount of dollars, and planned accordingly. As I said before, a $100 is not a lot...but we are very happy with it...because we did not go into this expecting to have price lowered.

Thanks for all the input on CC...it's been great for us newbies.

Would anyone even bother contacting their TA if the price they are now offering is $20 total less than when you booked?

It seem frivilous even to me, but even if they gave it to me as an additional $20 OBC, that pays for all or part of dining at a specialty restaurant.

I just try to save $ where I can, and if the price only goes up from here, there will be no future credits to be had.

I don't know if there has been a change in policy, but I called this morning and got the price reduction.

I called before when it had gone down $100 and was told they don't do that. Last night I saw the price had gone down $200 so I called and asked for the new price. The girl's computer was still showing the old price but she did some checking and said okay the price has been changed. We have not made the final payment so maybe that is why, but I'm happy.

I got the e-mail confirming it, and the price has changed on NCL website.

We made final payment when we booked our Dec. Spirit cruise in July. The price has gone down $100.00, and when I called yesterday, NCL gave me the $ back on my card- took about 30 seconds!

Our NCL Rep said if the price goes down again,we can get the reduction, as long as it is not 90 days or less before sailing.

Well actually....As I listen to the ads what NCL is promising is the best available cabin within any general cabin type - inside, outside or veranda - anywhere on the ship for a standard price; but they aren't saying that the prices will not be cut later for last minute bookings to fill the ship.

So, the come on is to get first dips on the cabins and get up to an 11 gatagory upgrade (not sure where they came up with that) at the time of booking.

For those in here that are more "involved" with these new ships - are there actually 11 different catagories among inside or ocean view or veranda cabins on any of these ships?

Ok...I booked 2 cruises a couple of weeks ago through an online TA that I have used for a few years now. I got the best discount that I could find and he had held the cabin we had selected and switched them after I received our reservation number. Now the 1st cruise price on NCL has gone down over $100/person from what it was at the time I booked and they are upgrading all the cabins for that new promotion. The 2nd cruise has also gone $100/person on the NCL website again from what it was when I booked with the TA at a discount. I have left messages hoping that they would also be lowering their fares to reflect the NCL discounts but have not heard back. Do I just stay with what I booked or should I try to push for a larger discount since NCL prices are not far from what I paid with their discount? :mad: That cabin upgrade only applies to one of the cruises and as much as I would like to take advantage it would mean paying more for one cruise or moving our stuff from one cabin to another which I'm sure would not be much fun. :eek:

Good luck. Our cruise dropped significantly over $100 per person. However, it was for new bookings only. I think the on-line t.a. will give it to you IF he/she can. The problem is with NCL often not allowing it to occur. I always use on-line t.a.s and have not had a problem before the recent NCL(NCLA) booking.

One way around it is to change ships entirely (if you are doing NCLA) and weeks. I heard that then you are o.k. What can they say if your work schedule interferes with the cruise you booked? Of course then you have to change hotels for precruise, trip insurance, etc. It isn't the easiest thing to do, but if you save oh... say $700 total for two people it is well worth the trouble. I am amazed at what someone can go through with NCL. While it is NCLA, it is still NCL that is holding the purse strings. ..not to be mean, but that is where the issue lies with trying to get the discount (in my opinion).

Let us know if you get the discount..good luck.

This is at least the third thread on this topic. (I should know, because I think I started or participated in at least two others, LOL.)

Here's the bottom line: around July NCL had some problems with a promotion, where there was a lot of confusion and anger about which cruises were part of the promotion and which weren't. So, apparently, their new plan is to call EVERY CRUISE a "promotion" in order to not have to deal with honoring price drops. IMO they are going to continue to "create" or "extend" promotions so that they don't have to reduce prices to those who've already booked.

(When you think about it, this whole "Pity the Procrastinator" thing is utter BS. First of all, if you booked early, and now prices are lower, how is the 'procrastinator' getting the worse deal? Furthermore, as this "promotion" now extends until DECEMBER OF 2008, how exactly are 'procrastinators' even involved?)

As I've said in other threads, it's one thing to not honor a price drop if someone has paid in full, and/or if their cruise is a month or two away. Both those situations are understandable; you've already purchased your product, and/or they're trying to fill the ship at the last minute. But this is for cruises that are months--if not a year--away, and people have only put down deposits. Furthermore, compounding this is the fact that they are telling people they CANNOT CANCEL AND REBOOK or else those specific people will be charged their old rates--which, as I've said in other threads, sounds not only immoral but illegal.

I've never been on an NCL cruise. I'm going on one next September. Given their bad reputation, I'm honestly not expecting great things. But, truthfully, if it was the best cruise in the world I'd STILL never go on NCL again after all this ridiculousness with their booking and pricing. This is not how you do good business, plain and simple.

(And I know the NCL loyalists will come back with, "Then why don't you cancel and use another cruise line, that means less people on my ship, blah blah blah..." Trust me, I'd like nothing better at this point. However, I can't afford to take off enough time to do a 12-day cruise out of Ensenada or Vancouver on another cruise line, and we're bringing seniors so it's much easier simply to fly directly to Honolulu and out again. If another cruise line did Hawaii-only U.S.-flagged cruises, NCL would probably have been put out of business in that market, given their negative image...)

I don't understand all the complaining. On a plane almost every seat has a different price depending on which promo / gimmick / 'sale'it was purchased under. Airlines used to refund the difference if the price dropped but now there are so many caveats that it is harder and harder to get your money back. As an example, some now charge a fee to get the lower price, for others the price must have dropped by a substantial amount (which is left up to the airline to determine) before they will refund you and sometimes this is only in the form of a credit to be used over the next 6 months, some will ONLY give a refiund if you booked in the higher classes, and others, including some large name brands, will give you NOTHING back! The same thing is true if you buy consumer goods - if I buy a large scale TV or a computer today for $2000 and the price drops in 6 months you can be guaranteed that I will be getting NOTHING back.

I don't understand all the complaining. On a plane almost every seat has a different price depending on which promo / gimmick / 'sale'it was purchased under. Airlines used to refund the difference if the price dropped but now there are so many caveats that it is harder and harder to get your money back. As an example, some now charge a fee to get the lower price, for others the price must have dropped by a substantial amount (which is left up to the airline to determine) before they will refund you and sometimes this is only in the form of a credit to be used over the next 6 months, some will ONLY give a refiund if you booked in the higher classes, and others, including some large name brands, will give you NOTHING back! The same thing is true if you buy consumer goods - if I buy a large scale TV or a computer today for $2000 and the price drops in 6 months you can be guaranteed that I will be getting NOTHING back.

Not on Southwest. No fees to cancel or change flights. Just apply the balance to a future flight. Clearly this goes to customer loyalty.

Apple has clearly set a new bar in the case of consumer goods with the $100 refund for those who bought the iPhone when it was first released. I do not understand the logic there so much as anyone who bought it when it was first released is an early adopter and is generally willing to pay a premium, for whatever reason.

There STILL does not appear to be an clear, definitive answer on whether NCL honors price reduction; and if they do, how long before the cruise will they honor it. Some have reported up until last payment, others have said that NCL told them up until 90 days before sailing.

There is no need to rehash the benefits of booking early. IMHO, you are taking the risk of paying a premium to book early for whatever reasons that led you to plan in advance. You also hedge the risk that prices will rise.

From a repeat customer base standpoint, I believe NCL will get more loyalty if people know they can book ahead and get credit for price drops, especially if the difference in price is given back as a credit towards a future cruise. It works on me for Southwest. But it is up to NCL's number crunchers to decide what helps their bottom line. Smart business does not always equal good business (read: profit).

I am happy with the price I got on for my cruise, but that will not stop me from inquiring with my TA about a credit, balance reduction or cabin upgrade if the price drops. That is not to say I think I am entitled to one if it falls outside of the scope of what my TA told me re: price drops:

"We always honor price reductions under the following terms:

If the cruise line lowers the fare, and the cruise line determines you qualify for the new fare - then we always lower your price.

Cruise Lines generally honor price reductions until 10 weeks prior to departure."

If I buy a new car, and the price drops..oh well. I bought the car. However, I didn't buy the cruise. I merely held a spot for myself 11 stupid months ahead. lol.

I have to laugh at Pity the Procrastinator. I think there needs to be a period of time when they honor price drops and call it "Save the Suckers (who booked ahead)." I still wonder how they are allowed to track people.

I always think ahead, and I have been looking at a couple for December 2008. It was easy after this experience to decide. I won't be doing NCL again. Honestly, I would drop this cruise in a heartbeat after all I have gone through, but my mom is getting up there, and she really, really wants to see Hawaii. There just isn't any other way to fly to Hawaii and see that area unless you do NCLA.

Lucky me, I booked on a promotion. Final payment is due on Monday. Friday (the business day before final payment) the price dropped and I got a 220. refund. AND, my shipboard credit is still intact that was promised on my last promotion. I booked thru Expedia, and held while they talked to NCL.

My sister has two cabins, and same deal, got a refund.

Did anyone try to tell you that the promo was for new booking only? The person I talked to when my contact person had left for the day commented that NCL was not good with reducing cruises that were already booked. :eek:

I have to laugh I was stuck potentially losing a LOT of money and the cruise was still nine months away. Give me a break.

One travel agent I use a lot on-line mentioned "I hate NCL." That was a year ago when I was booking another trip and looking at cruises. Unfortunately I didn't pursue her reasoning, and I wish I had asked at that time. I actually assumed maybe they didn't book NCL cruises, and that was her issue. Now, I know they do.....

When I tried to get the new rate on the impending cruise (nine months away), another travel agent (and one I have used before) I booked with said NCL will say the rates are for new bookings. He said quickly and you can't cancel and change it or they will track you.

I did notice there was a chance of an ocean view for $40 more. I had mistakenly overlooked it. I called back to get it, and he put me on hold FOREVER. He apologized profusely. He said NCL tried to say I booked the cruise the day prior (almost 24 hrs. ago), and that price was for new bookings only, so I was stuck where I was, but they worked it out. ugh........

Again, I am going to sit tight and keep checking their website. Surely a "Save the Suckers" campaign is just around the corner to provide a window to get the price drops. I can see the advertising campaign for that now.....

after i read this thread yesterday I went to ncl.com Our Feb cruise dropped $535!!! I called NCL and was told the website wasn't accurate she couldn't find that fare, etc. but to try and book online and see if it would go thru, if it would she would cancel our existing. And since we had a $200 obc for prebooking on another cruise, she would get that transferred.

i kept her on the phone went thru the process and was able to book an AF for the 3 of us for the $535 savings! she then had her supervisor put that fare on our original booking (to keep the cabin) and caneled the online booking. got my new confirmation and all looks great.

I guess it depends who you get. or maybe try to do the new booking online. i used my lattitudes number so it wasn't like I was being smeone else.

sheree

Friday I called NCL to try to get the fare that is listed on their website for a cruise in March. This is our first NCL cruise, but I went through a bunch of price reductions for a Carnival cruise last year and learned that it sometimes help to ask for something that doesn't sound like an economic threat right off the bat, so I asked for an upgrade from Cat K to II, to be on the same deck as our cruise companions.

Of course, on the website, all the inside cabins are the same price, which is $150 less per person than we originally booked at, but I didn't talk price at that point. The guy who helped me told me there were cabins available and I could upgrade, then told me the price would be higher than our original price. I quoted him the price on the website, which he was not seeing in his booking engine.

It took some time for him to figure out how to find the price I was seeing. (He needed a discount code, which didn't surprise me, but I was not asking for a "discount," only for the publically available price, so I didn't suggest he look for a code.)

He tried to tell me that he wasn't sure how often the web was updates, as if the prices there might be old and invalid. I told him the prices were currently showing on the website, and mentioned the Federal Trade Commision.

He got me the new price, and probably would have done so without my implied FTC threat. It took a while, but he got us all set up, and got a new invoice to me. I am a happy cruiser again.

Sheesh, what a lot of inconsistency in the policy. I did want to mention that if a price drop is not listed as "for new bookings only" that it's much easier to get them to adjust the fare no problem.

I also really loathe the "don't bother to cancel and rebook because we'll flag you and charge you the original fare" deal. It ticks me off. Of course it's their cruise line and they can do what they want to do with pricing. But they have no way of knowing if I canceled a cruise last week because I thought I couldn't go, but now I know I can, so I'm going to rebook. You can bet your you-know-what that if the fare had gone up they'd say, "Well, you canceled, so now you have to pay the current higher fare." The same thing should be true if the fare has gone down. I wouldn't quibble if the fare had gone up because that's the way it goes. I would quibble if the fare had gone down and they refused to honor it. I would, in fact, not rebook but would look elsewhere because it should work the same either way.

It is the same as if I had ordered a car, but then canceled the order. (In fact I did do that once because we decided that model wouldn't work for us.) Had we changed our minds, we would have paid whatever the then current price was (higher or lower) because it would be a new sale.

(BTW, I heard that RCI is trying the same deal with the "don't bother to cancel and rebook" deal. Not going over too well.)

beachchick

Archived