Lighthouse excursion, Ketchikan

emma2u

Sounds like a great tour, wish I would have taken that or something like it last week. Clopaw, the price you saw was probably correct, there is nothing cheap in Alaska. We spent our time going to the Lumberjack show (had kids with us) and then walked around town. DH went on a flight to Neets Bay to see the bears. He had a very memorable trip, we had a ho-hum time being stuck in a very touristy, overcrowded town. $85 each would have been worth it to get out of the port area. Don't get me wrong, we loved our trip, just plan on spending a few $$ more than you think you need to have a great time. Sorry if I misread your post and you intended it to sound like a bargain!

I did this tour last year and wouldn't recommend it. It was boring for me and many of the people on our boat thought it was a waste of time and money. The weather was nice and we saw many eagles but we basically saw the houses along the coast plus one lighthouse. I probably saw more eagles during the rest of the trip then I did on that excursion.

I really wish I had done the float plane with the boat ride back from Misty Fiords. Though that trip was $260.

---------

Hey Christine - the price is correct on that. Alaska excursions are expenisve - I am so glad to see that you are going there. You and Paul will love Alaska! I also see Hawaii on your list.

We did this tour through Princess and though it was relaxing, it was way too long. We couldn't wait for the trip to be over. The scenary was pretty but it got old seeing house after house after house along the coast line. If someone was looking for an excursion for someone not very mobile or elderly, it would be ok. I do have to admit that the dip they served was very good. I wish I had the recipe for it, they rattled it off but I didn't write it down. It was 3 ingredients or something like that.

Well you know what they say......to each his own! Everyone on our trip really enjoyed it. We had been on The Orca Express the day before..our second trip with Cap Larry in Juneau and spent two hours zooming from place to place to view wildlife. It was hiding from us that day! Perhaps that is why we enjoyed being able to walk around on the moving boat drinking coffee looking at the awesome scenery.

Emma - I reread how I wrote my post and it was "pretty negative" -I apologize. I am glad you had a good time on your excursion.

When I booked the trip - I thought it would be more "exciting". I know on Princess - they changed the description and title of the tour this year from last year. Some of us last year felt misled (maybe that is why they changed the description). I did this excursion on my 2nd trip to Alaska and as you know, there are a million things to do in Alaska and I really wished I had chosen something different.

Glad it worked out for you. The only wildlife we saw on the trip was a few eagles.

Archived