Charleston, SC hotels

Grammynelliebelle

we found something on line in 2005. i think it was a charleston web site, BUT we did not get what was advertised. we booked hampton @ mt pleasant. it did not have a shuttle (as stated in info, but we did leave our vehicle there. taxi fare was $20 or so each way. i complained, but no follow up. even wrote a letter, no answer. good luck. we did not like the ncl majesty either.

I just want to add this to this post. If you are driving and don't mind about a 25 to 30 minute drive, there is a Holiday Inn at Folly Beach that is right on the beach. I am sure it would not have shuttle or parking, but if you are driving down or up from somewhere and want to be right on the beach, you can stay there. It is expensive at various times of the year, priority club redemption I believe is 25,000. There is not alot to do in Folly Beach, but you are close enough to go to Charleston and come back to the beach. It has been awhile since we have been there, but it was good for us. There is a pier nearby too. Just an idea... I believe it will come up as a Charleston hotel and you just look for Folly Beach. If you are going off season, this might be good for you.

Hello everyone. I live in Charleston, SC. If anyone has any questions I would be more than happy to help out if I can. I will go ahead and share with you a little bit. The closest hotels to the port are The Hampton Inn, Embassy Suites, The Holiday Inn, and the Francis Marion. Out of those the nicest would have to be the Embassy Suites and Francis Marion. The Embassy Suites has a complimentary cocktail hour every evening also free cooked to order breakfast. The Francis Marion is across the square from the Embassy Suites. The Hampton Inn is next to the Embassy Suites. Both are on Meeting Street. The Francis Marion is on King Street. All these hotels are within walking distance to the Market. The Market is where you can find most of the local attractions. Meeting Street has many many restaurants to choose from as well. If anyone has anything specific they would like to know just ask. :)

Hello everyone. I live in Charleston, SC. If anyone has any questions I would be more than happy to help out if I can. I will go ahead and share with you a little bit. The closest hotels to the port are The Hampton Inn, Embassy Suites, The Holiday Inn, and the Francis Marion. Out of those the nicest would have to be the Embassy Suites and Francis Marion. The Embassy Suites has a complimentary cocktail hour every evening also free cooked to order breakfast. The Francis Marion is across the square from the Embassy Suites. The Hampton Inn is next to the Embassy Suites. Both are on Meeting Street. The Francis Marion is on King Street. All these hotels are within walking distance to the Market. The Market is where you can find most of the local attractions. Meeting Street has many many restaurants to choose from as well. If anyone has anything specific they would like to know just ask. :)

Thank yoiu for sharing your city. Hos is the Holiday Inn?

I'm so glad you are following this thread. When we get off the Norwegian Majesty in Charleston on Jan. 12, we would like to store our luggage at the pier while we use a taxi to take us around the historic district and have lunch.

Canada Place has a baggage facility at the cruise terminal that allows pax to do this. They charge per bag to store your luggage for a few hours. While in Vancouver, we took a cab down to the dock in the morning stored our bags. Then we got on the on/off bus and took a tour of Vancouver. When it was time to check in at the pier, we retrieved our bags and got in line for checking in for our cruise.

Does Charleston have something like that available?

Cukoobananas,

I'm looking for a hotel as well in January, preferably one that has free parking for the duration of our cruise. A number of people have suggested the Holiday Inn, but I noticed that there are several Holiday Inns in Charleston. Do you happen to know if they all offer cruise parking, or only some of them? Which one would you recommend? Just so you know, weather permitting, we would like to do some sightseeing in Charleston the day prior to our cruise so a Holiday Inn close to the sights would be the most convenient.

Also, what is the weather like in Charleston in January?

Thanks so much for the info!

canadiangirltoo

I use to live in Charleston and now travel back regularly...have stayed at B&Bs and the large hotel but I think the Holiday Inn Charleston (Historic area) is really quite nice the ratings on tripadvisor has always been outstanding it won an award in 2006 for the best kept secret (the price is usually good too)... I have always enjoyed the hotel it is in a nice section of town right off King street and you can walk to almost anything... however, if you have never been to Charleston you will want to take some type of tour south of "Broad Street" .... don't know about cruise parking as the hotel parking lot is small... DB

Thank yoiu for sharing your city. Hos is the Holiday Inn?

The Holiday Inn is an OK hotel. It's on the corner of Meeting Street and Calhoun. If you stay there you are only about 5/10 minutes from the cruise terminal depending on traffic. Also, you are close to most of the attractions the historical district has to offer. :D

I'm so glad you are following this thread. When we get off the Norwegian Majesty in Charleston on Jan. 12, we would like to store our luggage at the pier while we use a taxi to take us around the historic district and have lunch.

Canada Place has a baggage facility at the cruise terminal that allows pax to do this. They charge per bag to store your luggage for a few hours. While in Vancouver, we took a cab down to the dock in the morning stored our bags. Then we got on the on/off bus and took a tour of Vancouver. When it was time to check in at the pier, we retrieved our bags and got in line for checking in for our cruise.

Does Charleston have something like that available?

Hello Susie. To my knowledge Charleston harbor does not offer any such service. This is not to say that they don't. I do know that should you stay at a hotel downtown you can leave your bags there should you arrive before check-in. No matter what time you arrive at any of the hotels downtown if you have a reservation you can store you luggage there until your room is ready. I'm sorry I am not able to be of much help. I hope you enjoy your cruise I am sure you will enjoy Charleston. If you need any suggestion on what to do, where to stay and eat I would be more than happy to give you MHO. Have a great day!!:D

Cukoobananas,

I'm looking for a hotel as well in January, preferably one that has free parking for the duration of our cruise. A number of people have suggested the Holiday Inn, but I noticed that there are several Holiday Inns in Charleston. Do you happen to know if they all offer cruise parking, or only some of them? Which one would you recommend? Just so you know, weather permitting, we would like to do some sightseeing in Charleston the day prior to our cruise so a Holiday Inn close to the sights would be the most convenient.

Also, what is the weather like in Charleston in January?

Thanks so much for the info!

canadiangirltoo

Hello Canadiangirltoo.

As far as parking at hotels for the durration of the cruise I am not sure. You have to understand the parking downtown is VERY limited. When I worked downtown we had to pay just like everyone else. I do know that the cruise terminal has a parking lot, plus they are currently building a parking deck for the cruise terminal. I do know that if you stay at the Hampton Inn or Embassy Suites you have to pay to park in the lot. I would do this. Charleston is a beautiful city but after dark it can be kind of sketchy in some places. I would opt to valet parking and let them park the car for you.

If you are looking to stay at the Holiday Inn downtown you want the one that is in the Historical District. This is on the corner of Meeting Street and Calhoun. Should you stay there you are only about 5 blocks from Market Street. You will find many of the sights on Meeting Street and Market Street. From the Holiday Inn, Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn, or Frances Marion hotels you are just minutes away from the sights and the port. All of these hotels border what is call Marion Square. You have several options for getting around in Charleston. Taxi, Horse & Buggy, bike, feet, and many, many tours. The Hampton Inn is across the street from the visitors center which most of the bus tours depart from every 30 minutes. They usually last approx 90 minutes.

Weather in January isn't too cold. It rangers from the mid 60-low 50's. I would say it averages around 63 durring the day. If I were you I would stay away from the Days Inn downtown. I'm sorry I couldn't help you with the parking but I will give a couple places a call and see what I can find out for you.:)

I travel to Charleston every other weekend and stay at The Doubletree Suites. It is very nice and when you step out of the hotel lobby you are in the Market downtown. From this hotel you have everything at your fingertips. As stated previously parking is very limited. I have also cruised out of there every October on The Carnival Victory and can not remember exactly what I pay for the parking at the Port but it is less than when I leave out of Port Can, Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. Call the Port or look uo Charleston Port of Authority and call them and ask them yourself, that way you will have the proper info and they should also know of the hotels that do allow parking. You will love Charleston, it is one of the most beautifulest cities I have ever seen.

Enjoy!

C.C. just did a profile on the Charleston Port. While I am not sure how accurate the parking information is their suggestions for eating could be much better. Some of the places they mention rate up there with McDonalds.:o IMO if you are flying into Charleston and staying downtown around a cruise you should save your money on a car rental and just take the shuttle downtown to your hotel. Once there you can pretty much walk anywhere of interest. The exception being any of the plantations around. However, for that you can catch a tour at the visitor center on Meeting Street located next to the Hampton Inn and Embassy Suites. Both very nice hotels. Also close by are the Holiday Inn and Francis Marion.

Cukoobananas,

I am looking for a carriage house or house for a short-term vacation rental in the Historic District for a "cousins weekend". There are probably 6 to 10 of us, and we thought it would be more fun if we could find a carriage house or condo so that we can all be together a lot more of the time.

We do this in the fall just south of Myrtle Beach in a large condo, and would like to come to Charleston for a spring trip.

Any suggestions? I appreciate any info you can give me!

Cukoobananas,

I am looking for a carriage house or house for a short-term vacation rental in the Historic District for a "cousins weekend". There are probably 6 to 10 of us, and we thought it would be more fun if we could find a carriage house or condo so that we can all be together a lot more of the time.

We do this in the fall just south of Myrtle Beach in a large condo, and would like to come to Charleston for a spring trip.

Any suggestions? I appreciate any info you can give me!

Hey Gloria,

I would be more than happy to help you. First can I get a little more information from you? Will it be all adults or adults and kids? Any pets? Will you be driving in or flying? Will you have a car with you or do you want to stay some place close enough to walk to most of the attractions? I will do my best to help you out. You say condo but what if I could find you a hotel that had a suite with two bedrooms, a queen size sleeper sofa, and is in downtown Charleston? Oh and what dates are you looking at? Approx?

Archived