Charleston, SC hotels

Grammynelliebelle

Cukoobananas,

Wow! I did not expect you to take the project on, just to give me an idea if there was such a thing as a carriage house for rent and point me in the right direction. I don't have many answers, as we have just briefly discussed getting together in the spring, and would need to finalize our plans this fall/winter. I am missing the fall trip, unfortunately, because our cruise interferes with the dates. The cousins usually get together in October and we cruise in November, but this year due to a pregnancy the cousins trip was pushed back to November. It would be all adults and no pets, but I can't say how many or a date range. It could be as few as five, or as many as ?? if adult daughters come as well.

I really don't want you to go to a lot of trouble for this, I was just wondering if such a thing exists - I know in Savannah and St Simons Island we were able to find large rentals within walking distance to the historic districts. If you could just point me in the right direction, I could follow up. For instance, which hotels are you thinking may have large 2/3 bedroom suites? I'll do the calling myself when I have more details. I don't want to take up too much of your time, but I really, really appreciate the info!

As I think of these questions, I realize I do not have nearly enough information to start making reservations yet. It is such a Catch-22, we need to know costs to know how many are interested; but we need to know how many and a date to know costs. I guess I'm not a very good travel planner outside of our cruises. I'll try to get some more info and post again.

Thank You!

Cukoobananas,

Wow! I did not expect you to take the project on, just to give me an idea if there was such a thing as a carriage house for rent and point me in the right direction. I don't have many answers, as we have just briefly discussed getting together in the spring, and would need to finalize our plans this fall/winter. I am missing the fall trip, unfortunately, because our cruise interferes with the dates. The cousins usually get together in October and we cruise in November, but this year due to a pregnancy the cousins trip was pushed back to November. It would be all adults and no pets, but I can't say how many or a date range. It could be as few as five, or as many as ?? if adult daughters come as well.

I really don't want you to go to a lot of trouble for this, I was just wondering if such a thing exists - I know in Savannah and St Simons Island we were able to find large rentals within walking distance to the historic districts. If you could just point me in the right direction, I could follow up. For instance, which hotels are you thinking may have large 2/3 bedroom suites? I'll do the calling myself when I have more details. I don't want to take up too much of your time, but I really, really appreciate the info!

As I think of these questions, I realize I do not have nearly enough information to start making reservations yet. It is such a Catch-22, we need to know costs to know how many are interested; but we need to know how many and a date to know costs. I guess I'm not a very good travel planner outside of our cruises. I'll try to get some more info and post again.

Thank You!

Hey Gloria,

Well right off hand I can't think of any carriage houses that I would recommend. All the ones I can think of are in the sketchy parts of town. I wouldn't stay there after dark. The Embassy suites in downtown charleston is very nice. They have two suites to chose from. This Embassy Suites was actually the very first Citadel. Some of the rooms still have holes in the walls that were used for cannon ports. VERY historical and very nice if you like the history. They also have a complimentary managers reception every night which encludes open bar. Plus a cooked to order breakfast all encluded in the rate. You can walk to just about any place from there. One other option would be the Francis Marion which may have similiar options. Thier is also a bed and breakfast downtown on the battery which looks to be very nice from the outside. It's an old civil war era house which has been restored. The front porch faces the battery park which over looks the bay. I can get the name for you if you are interested. Hope this helps.:o

Cukoobananas,

Do you know of a minivan service that would take the four of us around the historic district and big enough to hold our luggage? We will have 2 walkers as part of our luggage. They are not taking the folding wheelchair. After the tour, we would like the van to take us to the airport.

I called the port and there is no place to store the luggage when we get off of the ship. The hotels are too far for my mom and uncle to walk to, so we can't leave the luggage at any of those places.

So now we are on to plan B. I hope you can give us the name of a reputable van service. The tour does not need to be narrated, because my sister and I were in Charleston in 2006 and my mom and uncle like to just see the scenery.

We have asked for vans in Seattle and in Vancouver, BC before and after cruises in both places they sent a taxi, so we had to get two taxis to hold us and the luggage. We really want a van. I hope you can tell us the name of a reliable company.

Thanks for your help.

We booked Radison Airport. Has anyone stayed there?

Hi! I'm also in Charleston and familiar with some of the hotels due to business meetings I attend. The Radisson airport has been completely renovated inside however I haven't seen the rooms. The location is not very good...the parking lot would be scary to me after dark. The area does not have a great reputation.

The options the other posters have discussed would be much better for you!

Call the Doubletree, it is right downtown and has 2 bedroom suites, they are very nice and there is not a better location. The website is http://www.doubletree.com/en/dt/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=CHSCSDT, you will love this place. Location, location, location and nice too!!!

Lisa

I would have to agree with Lisa. I totally forgot about the Doubletree. It's another Hilton Property. You walk out the door of the Doubletree and you are in the Market. You can't beet the location. You can catch a buggy ride directly across the street or just walk down the Market.:D Thanks for your help Lisa!!

Here is some information that I hope helps some.

Doubletree Guest Suites Historic Charleston

Relax in executive king guestrooms or elegant one & two bedroom suites and feature our luxurious Sweet Dreams® beds by Doubletree. Freshly-baked cookies at check-in, valet parking and home to Hank’s Seafood Restaurant. Walking distance to restaurants and harbor views.

181 Church Street

Charleston, SC 29401

Phone: 843-577-2644

or 877-408-8733

Email: chscs_dt_guest@hilton.com

Belvidere Harbor Cottages

Luxury accommodations in a secluded setting, featuring magnificent panoramic views of Charleston Harbor, Fort Sumter and historic downtown. Each two-bedroom/three full bath Cottage is fully-equipped and sleeps up to six, full kitchen, elegant furnishings, pool, hot tub. Continental breakfast included.

16 Patriots Point Road

Mount Pleasant, SC 29464

Phone: 843-884-3342

or 866-901-2688

Email: Kbraddock@belvidereclub.com

Francis Marion Hotel

Historic Charleston's landmark hotel since 1924. Completely restored and elegantly appointed marble lobby, crown moldings and intricate wrought iron. Across from Marion Square. 227 guest rooms and suites offer spectacular views of Charleston's harbor. On the National Register of Historic Places.

387 King Street

Charleston, SC 29403

Phone: 843-722-0600

or 877-756-2121

Fax: 843-853-2186

Email: info@francismarioncharleston.com

Embassy Suites Historic Charleston

Home of the original 19th century Citadel, listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Within walking distance of many historic attractions including the Market, the King Street boutiques and restaurants. Evening reception in our courtyard area overlooking Marion Square.

337 Meeting Street

Charleston, SC 29403

Phone: 843-723-6900

or 800-EMBASSY

Fax: 843-723-6938

Email: chses_ds@hilton.com

Hampton Inn Historic District

This restored historic landmark, once a burlap bag factory in the 18th century, was designed for the traveler with discerning taste. Within walking distance of many historic attractions including the Market and King Street fashion boutiques. High speed wireless Internet.

345 Meeting Street

Charleston, SC 29403

Phone: 843-723-4000

or 800-HAMPTON

Email: chshd_hampton@hilton.com

Holiday Inn Historic District

This luxury hotel combines Old-World elegance with New-World amenities. Beautifully landscaped courtyard, outdoor heated pool, concierge and bellman services. Enjoy the Battery Grill for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and the Battery Lounge for evening relaxation.

125 Calhoun Street

Charleston, SC 29401

Phone: 843-805-7900

or 877-805-7900

Fulton Lane Inn

Totally non-smoking Inn. Nestled among the city's finest antique shops, across from Saks Fifth Avenue. One of Charleston's best kept secrets. We offer luxurious rooms, king-size beds, large whirlpools and fireplaces. Continental breakfast delivered to your room and complimentary wine and sherry.

202 King Street

Charleston , SC 29401

Phone: 843-720-2600

or 800-720-2688

Fax: 843-720-2940

corner_left_bot_grey.gifPLACES TO EAT

Charleston Grill

Dinner Su-Th 6-10pm; F-Sa 6-11pm; jazz nightly; cocktails from 5pm. Located in the Charleston Place Hotel. The most comfortable and beautiful restaurant in Charleston for cocktails, live jazz and exciting Lowcountry and coastal cooking prepared by Chef Bob Waggoner. South Carolina's most acclaimed Mobil Four-Star restaurant and winner of Wine Spectator's "Best of Award of Excellence." The Vintner's Room is available for private parties.

224 King Street

Charleston, SC 29401

Phone: 843-577-4522

Hank's Seafood Restaurant

Su-Th 5:00-10:30pm; F-Sa 5:00-11:30pm. By design and cuisine, Hank’s resembles a decades-old neighborhood fixture reminiscent of a classic 1940s Charleston fish house. Relaxed atmosphere is backdrop to Chef Frank McMahon’s local seafood classics and innovative seasonal specials. Bar and communal table attracts a sociable crowd of locals, nightly.

10 Hayne Street

Charleston, SC 29401

Phone: 843-723-3474

39 Rue De Jean

French style café and bar offering the best in Brasserie cuisine. Indoor/outdoor patio seating, predominantly French wine list with champagne and sakes. Sunday Brunch from 10am, Lunch daily from 11:30am, served continuously through to Dinner service beginning at 5:30pm. Late nite menu through 1am, featuring steaks, sushi and salads.

39 John Street

Charleston, SC 29403

Phone: 843-722-8881

Fax: 843-722-8835

82 Queen

Open 365 Days a Year; 11:30am till 10:30pm - Sunday Brunch 11:30am. Serving Charleston’s most authentic Lowcountry cuisine for 25 years. Offering the freshest seafood and aged steaks garnished with locally grown herbs and vegetables. Enjoy award-winning She Crab Soup and desserts. Voted “Best City Restaurant” by the readers of Southern Living Magazine.

82 Queen Street

Charleston, SC 29401

Phone: 843-723-7591

or 800-849-0082

Email: info@82queen.com

Bocci's Italian Restaurant

Dinner: M-Th 4:30-10pm; F-Sa 4:30-11pm. Service in a casual, comfortable, ethnic setting. A favorite among locals seeking a romantic escape. Bocci’s chefs are known for their authentic specialties. Excellent wine list, a variety of gourmet coffees, and desserts. Italian dining on par with New York’s “Little Italy.”

158 Church Street

Charleston, SC 29401

Phone: 843-720-2121

Coast

Charleston’s freshest seafood, with a relaxed beach inspired atmosphere, in the heart of historic downtown. Featuring the freshest fish and produce in the Lowcountry, a full raw bar, and a refreshing drink list. Open nightly from 5:30. Outdoor seating available.

39-D John St.

Charleston, SC 29403

Phone: 843-722-8838

Grill 225

High-energy eatery, replete with mahogany booths & alabaster chandeliers, serving 100% USDA Prime Beef & seafood under Executive Chef Demetre Castanas. Charleston’s only USDA Prime steakhouse. Impressive wine list & desserts, & stellar service. Great Steak Houses of North America.

Hyman's Seafood and Aaron's Deli

Open 7 days a week. Voted best seafood in Southeast by Southern Living Magazine readers poll survey out of 18 states and 8 years running. Eli, one of the great grandchildren or Brad’s son-in-law, are in the building 7 days a week to insure 100% satisfaction and quality control.

215 Meeting Street

Charleston, SC 29401

Phone: 843-723-6000

Poogan's Porch

Open seven days a week. One of Charleston's oldest and most reputable culinary establishments. A historic landmark with entertaining past. Synonymous with providing impeccable Lowcountry hospitality and cuisine. Since 1976, we have become a hot spot for celebrities, politicians, tourists and locals who rave about this Southern institution. Brunch Sa & Sun. L, D. $-$$$.

72 Queen Street

Charleston, SC 29401

Phone: 843-577-2337

Tommy Condon's Irish Pub & Seafood Restaurant

11:00 a.m.-1 a.m. for lunch and dinner. This long-time Charleston tradition provides an experience crafted after a true Irish pub. Atmosphere is appropriate for families, couples, and folks just looking to hoist a pint! Seafood, steaks, burgers. Dine in the pub or on the outdoor deck. Live Irish music Wednesday-Sunday.

160 Church Street

Charleston, SC 29401

Phone: 843-577-3818

I hope this helps some of you. It would be impossible for me to list all the excellent eating establishments in Charleston so the ones I've listed here I have first hand knowledge of. Yes...I eat out from time to time.:D I honestly believe that you could eat out every night for a year and still not eat at every place in historical Charleston.

If anyone has anymore questions please feel free to ask. I love helping out people. Plus I hope you love Charleston as much as I do!!

TRANSPORTATION

Primetime Charleston Transport Services, LLC

Let us simplify your transportation needs. We are a professional transport service with a wide array of vehicles that can make your arrival and departure from Charleston Airport a pleasant experience. We accept all major credit cards. Please call for reservations.

1101 Stone Pine Road

Ladson, SC 29456

Phone: 843-478-6778

Fax: 843-376-9210

Email: reservations@primetimecharleston.com

corner_left_bot_grey.gif corner_right_top_grey.gifRoyal Limousine Service

Twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. Royal Limousine Service offers the highest-quality vehicles as well as unparalleled customer service. We have earned a reputation for professionalism and reliability by providing exceptional transportation at fair pricing. Our extensive fleet of vans, sedans, buses, and limousines meets any professional needs.

2183 Hwy 17 Bypass, Suite 109

Mount Pleasant, SC 29464

Phone: 843-884-7272

Fax: 843-723-2515

Email: info@royallimo.biz

corner_left_bot_grey.gif

Thank you Cukoobananas for all of your help,

I, also appreciate the info about the Radisson Airport Hotel.

Not a problem Susie. I am glad I could help. If they can't get you where you are going you just let me know. I have a truck with a crew cab and live just minutes from the airport. I will get you where you need to go. If I can help with anything else just let me know. Have a safe trip!!!

I love the Embassy Suites downtown. It is very historic and a comfortable walk to the Market area and the downtown restaurants. We're also stayed at the Best Western King Charles Inn. It is a great value (includes free parking) and in a great location. My complaint about the King Charles is the age of the rooms, and the noise level from the street.

We stayed at the Radisson North Charleston for our Majesty cruise last year. They were beginning the renovations. 2 in our group got the renovated rooms and seemed to enjoy it. The package included a free breakfast. We had no problems with leaving our car for the week, biut could understand some hesitation in doing so. The Radisson is about 20-30 minutes from the port. They do offer a free shuttle, but there were LOADS of problems with the shuttle when we tried to use it. OUr reservation going over to the port was originally scheduled for 12:30; we actually got on the shuttle at 1:30 since they were backed up. The manager actually offered to take us over in her truck.

Coming back, the shuttle was so backed up that we would have had to stand outside on the sidewalk with all out luggage for at least an hour before the shuttle could get to us. We ended up taking a taxi back to the hotel. I would not stay here again for a pre-cruise stay.

Archived