Alaska Cruise, Help me plan this!

Sangela

We're just back from our first cruise, and starting to plan our next one...(yes, we ARE hooked! :D ).

DH and I are really wanting to go on an Alaska cruise summer 08, and were wondering if those of you who have been on an Alaska cruise can help us out with ideas and recommendations.

This will be out of Seattle, Wa, (we will fly up), so any tips, ideas, favorite cruise line, excursions, etc... will be most appreciated!

Thanks!

:)

As only a suggestion, it is easy to get to Vancouver, especially with Amtrak. I suggest coming in a day early anyway, so really both departures could be availble to you.

You have far more scenic sailing out of Vancouver, and usually a little more port time being you do not have any Victoria/Prince Rupert mandated stops (way too short anyway).

If you are only considering Seattle, I think the NCL Pearl itinerary is excellent with Glacier Bay.

We're just back from our first cruise, and starting to plan our next one...(yes, we ARE hooked! :D ).

DH and I are really wanting to go on an Alaska cruise summer 08, and were wondering if those of you who have been on an Alaska cruise can help us out with ideas and recommendations.

This will be out of Seattle, Wa, (we will fly up), so any tips, ideas, favorite cruise line, excursions, etc... will be most appreciated!

Thanks!

We are in the same "boat" haha :p We also want to plan an Alaskan cruise; but for May of 2009 (I know they do not even have those scheduled yet). This will be for my son's graduation and we want to go as a family. Seattle would be where we would fly to as well (none of us have ever flown before either <gulp> :eek: ). We were not sure where to start looking. Which cruiseline, which itinerary, what is there that you would not want to miss and what would you never do again on an Alaskan cruise? I hope we get some great responses.;)

As only a suggestion, it is easy to get to Vancouver, especially with Amtrak. I suggest coming in a day early anyway, so really both departures could be availble to you.

Do you mean take a train the entire way to Vancouver or fly to a certain point and then take a train there? I apologize if that sounds simple, I have never been North of the Smoky Mountains. haha :D

Is Vancouver easier to sail out of etc?

Do you mean take a train the entire way to Vancouver or fly to a certain point and then take a train there? I apologize if that sounds simple, I have never been North of the Smoky Mountains. haha :D

Is Vancouver easier to sail out of etc?

Amtrak has a train, once per day, Seattle/Vancouver. Extremely scenic ride, leaves Seattle about 7am. Leaving Vancouver is 6pm, not doable if you are flying home the same day, but great with an overnight in Seattle.

There will be cruise contracted buses, Quick Shuttle, and one way rental cars available.

You need to figure out what you want to see and do in Alaska..I see you cruised with Carnival the first time..Carnival does a great job in Alaska and the Spirit is a lovely ship..We loved our Alaskan cruise with them so much we have booked another cruise for next year..This time we decided to do a round trip out of Vancouver so we could see Glacier Bay..

Definately go on the one that goes through glacier bay!!! We are also thinking about going to Alaska next September. We have never been there before but want to go really bad.

I would definitely recommend going the route from Vancouver that goes through glacier bay, it will be very scenic!! Also, if you can swing it, I think getting a balcony for this cruise would be a great idea to sit and enjoy all the scenery from your own room...

I just need to convince my hubby that next year is a good year to drop just over $6K on a vacation to include cruise with a balcony stateroom, airfrare to Vancouver, ALASKA!! (Including Glacier Bay) for 7 days!! shore excursions, onboard expenses etc.

We are thinking of doing carnival because the itinerary is just right for what we want and the price for a balcony is fabulous.

We have been on the Spirit before (Nov. '05) to the 8 day Mexican Riviera and it is a really nice ship, we had a great time!!

Thanks!

As other posters have mentioned, I would also recommend considering sailing from Vancouver one-way. If time permits a few days or a week in Alaska will give you a much better feel for what Alaska is like. Renting a car and driving before or after a cruise in Alaska is very easy and will save a lot of money over a cruise tour offered by the cruise lines.

The two ships that I would be very afraid to take a chance on to Alaska next year are the Celebrity Millennium and Celebrity Infinity because of the on-going propulsion problems that have caused many missed ports and cancelled cruises over the years. There are also some roundtrips from Vancouver as well as Seattle.

Hope this helps.

HAL and Princess have the most experience in Alaska and hold the most entry permits for entry restricted scening cruising locations. They also have extensive land infrastructure for Alaska/Yukon post or precruise land holidays.

Wow, lots to think about...glad I have plenty of time to plan on this!

Vancouver B.C. is definitely an option, as I have family up in that area, so we can bunk at their place, if needed.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Keep them coming!

I am definitely considering Carnival again, and I"m glad to hear that they do Alaska well. Wasn't aware of all the different itineraries, either. Glacier Bay sounds awesome, so I will research that too...We will probably have the MIL along with us, so no zip line tours for her. :eek: <snort>

I will check out the Spirit, and see how the logistics will work, transportation wise. DH also has a sister in Vancouver, WA, I know that's a fair distance from Vancouver B.C. but we could fly into Portland, OR and road trip it up to B.C. for our cruise departure, too. I think it's about 6 or 7 hours drive, give or take and then fly home from B.C.

Hmmm, so many options...:)

I am really working it for a balcony, told DH the average price I was finding and he was like :eek: , but I have not checked Carnival yet, so it may be totally do-able. Hey, it's 7 days, and it's money well spent, IMO. ;) I see myself sipping coffee (or wine, depending on the time of day) on the balcony as the beautiful scenery passes by me, yeah, I can deal with that quite easily. :cool:

Great suggestions and ideas, I am so stoked about this!

Wow, lots to think about...glad I have plenty of time to plan on this!

Vancouver B.C. is definitely an option, as I have family up in that area, so we can bunk at their place, if needed.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Keep them coming!

I am definitely considering Carnival again, and I"m glad to hear that they do Alaska well. Wasn't aware of all the different itineraries, either. Glacier Bay sounds awesome, so I will research that too...We will probably have the MIL along with us, so no zip line tours for her. :eek: <snort>

I will check out the Spirit, and see how the logistics will work, transportation wise. DH also has a sister in Vancouver, WA, I know that's a fair distance from Vancouver B.C. but we could fly into Portland, OR and road trip it up to B.C. for our cruise departure, too. I think it's about 6 or 7 hours drive, give or take and then fly home from B.C.

Hmmm, so many options...:)

I am really working it for a balcony, told DH the average price I was finding and he was like :eek: , but I have not checked Carnival yet, so it may be totally do-able. Hey, it's 7 days, and it's money well spent, IMO. ;) I see myself sipping coffee (or wine, depending on the time of day) on the balcony as the beautiful scenery passes by me, yeah, I can deal with that quite easily. :cool:

Great suggestions and ideas, I am so stoked about this!

I just booked my Da and step mom a balcony for 1325 pp on the Spirit for Sept 2008...

Archived