Post cruise ideas after 7 day Paul Gauguin

eilee

Am interested in thoughts about options after our 7 day Paul Gauguin cruise. We figure we will have had enough of Tahiti, Bora Bora and Moorea, so we are looking for soemthing that will be a bit different. We're thinking about Fiji, Manihi or the Marquesas Islands...Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

progress.gif

While I have not been to Fiji or the Marquesas the opinions I hear pretty consistently (even on board the PG) is that neither is really worth the effort to get there.

Also, while the cruise is a wonderful way to see some of the islands, there is not a huge "chill out" factor such as you get in an over the water bungalow; some of which are pretty spectacular. I would reconsider not spending a bit more time on one of those islands or possibly Taha'a.

Much really depends on what you want to do.

Well, I can guess with high certainty that you will not have "had enough" of the Society islands after 7 days. A post-cruise in a nice resort on Moorea, I'm betting, would be perfect, since you will be (I can guarantee), hankering for more.

That being said, the Pearl Manihi is really nice for a completely laid-back veg-out, and being an atoll, you get to experience a different kind of island. I've also wanted to try Huahine, but it doesn't seem to be included in the Regent pre- or post-cruise packages (but then I don't think that Manihi is anymore either.)

Why don't you consider a pre-cruise instead? Many people believe that after your experience on the PG, you may disappointed by your experience (especially food and service) at the land-based resorts. If you go to one of them ahead of time, you can adjust to the time change, and then you still have the cruise ahead of you. We did a b2b with no land stay the first time we went on the PG in 2003, and we did a pre-cruise at the Radisson in Tahiti (in part, because it was extremely reasonable) before our 10-day cruise last year.

Like Dreps, I, too, would recommend a pre-cruise. We spent several days at the Intercontinental in a room with a lovely view of the water - and sat outside on our balcony at night before going out for dinner. We were very comfortable there. The outside bar in the evening had a band and the restaurants were good. :D On Friday night they had a wonderful seafood buffet with a great show. The tourist desk offers excursions worth looking into and your body adjusts to the time change. You are also prepared to board the ship at an appropriate time.

We have done precruise our three trips on the PG and will do again next year. I think alot depends on what you are looking for. Activities or total veg out. We really liked Tikehau Pearl Beach last year. The food was surprisingly good but there is not much to do other than snorkel/scuba.

For our post cruise, we stayed 3 nights at an OWB in Huahine - very nice, and went on a tour which included a real shark feeding (very neat), and drift snorkeling - amongst the days activities. But for our pre-cruise, we spent the first night at the Tahiti IC, then the next day we flew to Rangiroa (stayed in a beach bungalow at the Kia Ora Hotel, then 2 nights at the Kia Ora Sauvage, then another night in an OWB at Kia Ora Hotel, the 1st and last night was necessary because of flights, but it was a very nice hotel, and Rangiroa is great. But the Sauvage is absolutely incredible. There is no electricity. You "rough it" in very quaint cabins on the beach. I truly wish we had planned to stay there longer. Our host Michael was fantastic, his wife cooked the delicious meals. They put kerosene lanterns in your cabin at night. You are truly out in the middle of nowhere, and it is a wonderful experience. (But bring a flashlight- for those late night bathroom trips). And there is hot showers!! Loved it!!!

You can all read tons about these options at http://www.tahiti-explorer.com

I wish RSSC offered more pre-cruise packages--they only offer Tahiti and Moorea for 2008, with one Bora Bora hotel offered "a la carte", whatever that means.

I wish they offered packages to Huahine and Taha'a, for example, or Manihi (our first love.) I know I could probably roll my own, but it's pretty convenient to have them take care of plane flights, transfers, scheduling, etc. Oh well, if we can swing 4 days next year, we'll do Moorea for sure--I've always wanted to stay there as well, so I shouldn't complain too much.

I would also recommend the pre-cruise option versus post as well. We went on the 11 day PG in July of 2005 and had a 3 day post-cruise stay in Moorea. Although the over water bungalow was nice, the experience was a real let down after being spoiled on the cruise.

We're booked on the November 18th Fiji to Tahiti cruise this year. I can hardly wait! We learned from our last experience and booked 3 days pre-cruise in Fiji. Booking pre-cruise we'll also be able to board the ship ASAP and fully take advantage of the amenities. Just something else to consider...

Have a great trip!

can you email or post more details as we are thinking of this trip in march.

We have been to rangiroa only for a port stop. We have been to tahaa twice and its great but I would like to try something different. Did you feel to limited with your food options? What time of day do they shuttle to the Savauge?

Thanks Jeff

Archived