Liked SY on Zuiderdam -- What category on Veendam?

ebseckar

Our family of 3 sailed on the Zuiderdam and stayed in an SY (Superior Verandah Suite). The size of the stateroom and verandah were great for us (approx. 389 sq. ft.). Now we are looking at sailing on the Veendam. The Veendam doesn't have any staterooms of that size. They jump from the Verandah Suites (approx. 292 sq. ft.) directly to the Deluxe Verandah Suites (approx. 556 sq. ft.). The price difference between the two categories for the 3 of us is an extra 60%! Can anyone compare an SY on the Zuiderdam to a Verandah Suite on the Veendam? How much of the sq. footage difference is in the stateroom v. the verandah? Did it really feel that much smaller? Thanks for your help.

There is a big difference in the feel! That is what I like about the Vista CLass ships... the SY and similar cabins! On Veendam in a balcony cabin you get the same size cabin as insides and outsides, just an added balcony. I just wish they had an SY type category on the S class. With that being said, we did quite alright with three in a balcony cabin on Ryndam. It is just that the SY is so much nicer!

There is a big difference in the feel! That is what I like about the Vista CLass ships... the SY and similar cabins! On Veendam in a balcony cabin you get the same size cabin as insides and outsides, just an added balcony. I just wish they had an SY type category on the S class. With that being said, we did quite alright with three in a balcony cabin on Ryndam. It is just that the SY is so much nicer!

I do not believe that insides, outsides and verandahs are identical in size except for the addition of the balcony. Insides = 182 sq ft and outsides = 197 sq ft; verandah stateroom = 229 sq ft PLUS 63 sq ft balcony.

Can anyone compare an SY on the Zuiderdam to a Verandah Suite on the Veendam?
Did you see what the VA/VB/VC/VD are like on the Zuiderdam? That's what the A through BC are like on the Veendam. No comparison to an SS/SY/SZ on a Vista.

On the Vista class ships, the VA thru VD are total of 249 sq ft ... 176 sq ft cabin and 73 sq ft verandah. Somewhat smaller than the comparable class cabins on the non-Vistas. And, indeed, a world of difference from the SS/SY/SZ. In fact, when we realized the difference, we took an SS on the Westerdam ... we usually book a B on the non-Vistas and have found them more than ample for the two of us. Can't speak to three in that space, however.

On the Vista class ships, the VA thru VD are total of 249 sq ft ... 176 sq ft cabin and 73 sq ft verandah. Somewhat smaller than the comparable class cabins on the non-Vistas.

That would be correct in making them comparable. All the cabins on S- and R-class ships are larger than the comparable categories on the Vista's. The mini-suites (A & B) on S- and R- are comparable to the Veranda cabins on the Vista's. The SS cabins are an entirely new class of cabins between the verandas and suites.

That would be correct in making them comparable. All the cabins on S- and R-class ships are larger than the comparable categories on the Vista's. The mini-suites (A & B) on S- and R- are comparable to the Veranda cabins on the Vista's. The SS cabins are an entirely new class of cabins between the verandas and suites.

Thanks, RuthC, for providing a clearer explanation for the OP ... your comments are what I meant, just didn't 'splain as well as you.

Indeed, the VA thru VD on the Vistas may seem similar to the A and B on the S- and R- class ... but they sure skinnied and shortened them to get more heads in beds on the Vistas.

The four "dam" ships we've sailed were all wonderful ... but I prefer the non-Vistas, while my husband only cares that he's at sea and not at work.

Archived