Train from Gatwick to Southampton and Back

Len3

As we're coming from the U.S. to Gatwick, do we need to make a reservation for the train? Airlines seem to be a bit unpredictable on their schedule these days, so I'm reluctant to make a reservation unless it's really necessary. Also, how often do the trains run, where do we find the station at Gatwick, and do they offer first class and second class? Any thoughts are appreciated as this is totally new to us.

As we're coming from the U.S. to Gatwick, do we need to make a reservation for the train? Airlines seem to be a bit unpredictable on their schedule these days, so I'm reluctant to make a reservation unless it's really necessary. Also, how often do the trains run, where do we find the station at Gatwick, and do they offer first class and second class? Any thoughts are appreciated as this is totally new to us.
In brief: no; hourly; South terminal; and yes.

The railway station is very well signed from both terminals. It's physically attached to the South terminal. If you arrive at the North terminal, you will need to go up one floor to catch the inter-terminal shuttle train to take you to the South terminal. You don't need to actually go into the South terminal - you will get tipped out almost directly into the ticket hall of the railway station.

If you have a long time to wait for the next train, then I would recommend that you buy your tickets and then go into the South terminal to find a place for a coffee or whatever. There is no point hanging around the station, which is a dreary place to wait. It will only take you a few minutes to walk back to the station.

Archived