Differences between British and American English

calikak

Lifeboats

Stuffed animals (?) - I trust you mean bears?

Bluey tells me that there is only one boat for him to worry about in October. Boat 3. He says he'll be in there as soon as he hears the signal, as it is only a quick jump from his balcony.

Matthew

I like the direction this thread is taking.

Can we add those who wear pre-tied bow ties? :rolleyes:

I thought that had been taken as read months ago.

Just because I've tried and failed to tie one you're determined to drag me through the mud:D

You haven't tried hard enough! I managed it quite quickly at 16 - so it can't be that hard......

I'm sure that Matthew would have some input on this subject, but he has been awfully quiet lately.

Apologies. Real Life has intervened - and I've been busy having blood and feeling like death warmed up.

Matthew

I thought that had been taken as read months ago.

Of course, but it doesn't do any harm to keep up the standards. :)

Apologies. Real Life has intervened - and I've been busy having blood and feeling like death warmed up.

Matthew

I do hope that you are feeling better and fit for the rigours of CC life after your latest Transylvanian sojourn. I think we all know that you have ongoing health issues and wish you well.

Keep Well,

David

Bluey tells me that there is only one boat for him to worry about in October. Boat 3. He says he'll be in there as soon as he hears the signal, as it is only a quick jump from his balcony.

You really should control that bear. He can't be allowed to run your life. In a recent redecoration we moved Pip from the living room to the landing - we told him that he'd see far more there and he went without a fuss:)

You really should control that bear. He can't be allowed to run your life. In a recent redecoration we moved Pip from the living room to the landing - we told him that he'd see far more there and he went without a fuss:)

He's quite biddable normally. Just very risk averse. Never banks with Northern Rock.......

It's just he has already worked out the most convenient lifeboat for him. I haven't told him he'll have to go to the Queens' Grill for muster drill first. It might spoil his anticipation......

Suffice it to say that I'd collect him with my medical supplies and leave the safe to it's own devices.

One must have priorities.....

Matthew

I do hope that you are feeling better and fit for the rigours of CC life after your latest Transylvanian sojourn. I think we all know that you have ongoing health issues and wish you well.

Keep Well,

David

Thanks David. I'm so much better this week - actually enjoying not feeling ill!

Matthew

Suffice it to say that I'd collect him with my medical supplies

You don't mean that you think you're more important that he is do you?:eek: Surely you mean that you'd collect him and then, if there was time, collect the medical stuff. As long as you survive for long enough to get him to a boat that's all that matters:rolleyes:

You don't mean that you think you're more important that he is do you?:eek: Surely you mean that you'd collect him and then, if there was time, collect the medical stuff. As long as you survive for long enough to get him to a boat that's all that matters:rolleyes:

Bluey isn't a selfish bear. Just a risk averse bear.

But priorities are (1) Kirsten (2) Bluey (3) Lifejackets (4) medical stuff. In that order.

Matthew

Bluey isn't a selfish bear. Just a risk averse bear.

But priorities are (1) Kirsten (2) Bluey (3) Lifejackets (4) medical stuff. In that order.

Matthew

All this planning...you're not anticipating something bad are you??;)

Hope you feel better Matthew....

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

All this planning...you're not anticipating something bad are you??;)

Hope you feel better Matthew....

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

No, but I have to reassure Bluey. God knows what he'll do if there is ever a flight involved!

I do feel much better thanks Penny. I have these little turns every now and again - probably liver but who knows? - but a few strong drugs and a bit of peace and quiet in my soggy state helps.

Better than being dead I suppose.

Matthew

No, but I have to reassure Bluey. God knows what he'll do if there is ever a flight involved!

I do feel much better thanks Penny. I have these little turns every now and again - probably liver but who knows? - but a few strong drugs and a bit of peace and quiet in my soggy state helps.

Matthew

Oi. You're an anchor of sanity in a crazy world. Be better. Hang in there. Well, not hang, exactly, you know what I mean. Persevere, not suspend.

Confused Newbie

Who in a Karie moment is now talking to himself.

Matthew

It is for your friends here anyway. What Maurice Chevalier said about old age, "Old age is not so bad when you consider the alternatives.", applies to all our infirmities.

Take care.

Paul

To my American friends.

Aluminium also has an extra syllable in English.

(oh, it is maths, not math).

:D

Yes, but you have no idea how much the 'Amerikinz' $ave in printing costs..

by dropping that second u in humour (they go with humor)

and that additional syllable in al-u-min-i-um (they go with aluminum)

and Maths is our abbreviation of MathematicS,

but they save on S's by the thousands, by going with Math.singular!

THIS, my British friends, is how America became rich!

By saving on the odd un-necessary letter and/or syllable, here and there!

Letters cost money, dontcha see?!

During last year's world cruise, this yank learned quite a bit from and was enlightened by his fellow Brit passengers, highlights of which included:

1. They say "tannoy"; we say "loud speaker"

2. They say "sort it out"; we say "figure it out"

3. They say "spot on"; we say "right on"

4. They say "negotiate"; we say "Bomb them"

Bobby

It is for your friends here anyway. What Maurice Chevalier said about old age, "Old age is not so bad when you consider the alternatives.", applies to all our infirmities.

Take care.

Paul

The old hypocrite!

Isn't he the same guy who sang "Thank heaven, for leetle girls"

Karie,

who wonders if he could sing that song today!

Matthew

You take care of yourself.

Last night we found out another of Marc''s aunt's had taken ill. Cancer of the Kidney, I believe (near the liver- similar function, sort of- doing away with toxins in a way) I got home from my meeting tonight to hear she died today.

I hope you're alright Matthew. I know that can take a lot out of one, and be very frightening. I cannot take any more losses this year. Maybe I am just getting older, and more aware. But too many people are dying of late.

Best wishes,

Karie,

who couldn't bear to battle with someone else in Matthew's place!

I hope you're alright Matthew. I know that can take a lot out of one, and be very frightening. I cannot take any more losses this year. Maybe I am just getting older, and more aware. But too many people are dying of late.

You're not getting rid of me that easily!

I was diagnosed in my late teens, and a few years after that was advised that I did indeed need to plan for my retirement.

I am blessed with some of the best doctors in the world - which is the result of being very rare and very interesting. Medically that is. Clearly.

But it is something that is always with me, and always will be. Thank heaven for Kirsten though - she makes life so much easier when I'm not good, and drives me here, there and everywhere.

Matthew

But it is something that is always with me, and always will be. Thank heaven for Kirsten though - she makes life so much easier when I'm not good, and drives me here, there and everywhere.

Matthew

I feel another song coming on. In fact, it's another Beatles song!

Will you still need me, will you still feed me, When I'm sixty four

AHA! I'll bet you thought I was going to type "Here, There, and Everywhere!

fooled you!

Glad to hear things are looking good!

I know what it is like to always have something cropping up. I do the best I can under the circumstances, and though some things are simply out of the question, I try not to let my chronic illnesses limit my activities and enjoyment of life!

I think attitude (and good support) is as important as any medicine!

Karie,

which is not to say I don't have the occasional "why me", and mad at the world days!

Archived