Road to Hana Other Options

lowdown

We were planning to do the road to Hana, But after listening to my friend who just got back say it was too curvy and long we a thinking we should do something else. What are some good options to fill the day that can be ended with the old Laheana Lua (Spelling?)

Thanks

Don

Wow.... what was he expecting? It's a 68 mile road that hugs the side of hills and often has one lane bridges. Complaining about it being too curvy and long is like complaining that an airplane is too cylindrical. It's about a 3 hour drive in the daylight to Hana. (It is actually faster to travel at night, but scarier.)

You could always go up to Haleakala, instead. But you also get to live with the regret of not having seed the road. Personally, I wouldn't give up that memory.

Wow.... what was he expecting? It's a 68 mile road that hugs the side of hills and often has one lane bridges. Complaining about it being too curvy and long is like complaining that an airplane is too cylindrical. It's about a 3 hour drive in the daylight to Hana. (It is actually faster to travel at night, but scarier.)

You could always go up to Haleakala, instead. But you also get to live with the regret of not having seed the road. Personally, I wouldn't give up that memory.

We are renting a convertible to do the RTH and we are looking forward to this day.

I have read post where many have taking a tour and really enjoyed it.

Look up Michelle's posts on it. I believe she took the tour and had a great review along with many others. Don't miss it, if it's something you want to see, just let someone else do the driving. If it's not a to do thing for your read here for many, many other ideas.

The Road to Hana is very long and depending on what tour you take it can be enjoyable or tedious.

We took the RTH last year on a paid tour. Some others we saw on the trip were in a luxurious van with very comfortable seats and stopped for lunch when we did and had a fabulous gourmet lunch (complete with tablecloth and wine) at a picnic area in Hana.

We booked through Roberts Tours and were on a mini bus. I had to sit in the seat that was over the wheel with my knees propped up on the hump (made by the wheel underneath). Not comfortable for 6 or more hours on this bus. Our lunch was brown bag sandwich. My husband has had neck surgery (and no, we are not ancient - late 40's) and it was agony for him going over those bumpy roads. We went all the way around - got bumpier as we left Hana for the back side of the island.

Moral of the story: If you are young and adventurous, go for it. Know before you book what kind of tour you are on, what kind of vehicle, level of comfort and be careful if you have any kind of neck or spinal issues.

• Administrators

You can check my review, linked below, for info on the tour we chose for the Road to Hana (which we loved). Our other activity on Maui was the sunrise bicycle ride down from Haleakala.

On our next visit to Maui, I want to explore West Maui, Lahaina, Kaanapali Beach area -- if you are doing the Old Lahaina Luau, you will be in the neighborhood that day anyway.

We were planning to do the road to Hana, But after listening to my friend who just got back say it was too curvy and long we a thinking we should do something else. What are some good options to fill the day that can be ended with the old Laheana Lua (Spelling?)

Thanks

Don

We just returned from our POH cruise and I can tell you from first hand experience everyone will have a different view on the RTH. MY DH drove and I sat in sat in the front with my sister and her husband in the back. We had been upgraded to a Lincoln Town Car so we drove in luxury. At first I was a little afraid about doing it in a large car because I heard the roads were so narrow, which they are, but we were fine. It was a very interesting drive and we all enjoyed it very much. We did not make it the whole way because of time schedules. We did it on our second day in Maui and had to be back to the ship. We also got a late start because when we got to the first town to start the tour the police had a detour and sent us in another direction and we got a little lost, but finally found our way back onto Hana Rd. This detour, we heard later, is something they do quite often, so if you do it, have a good map with you so you can find your way back on the highway.

My sister did get a little car sick because she was trying to read while the car was moving, but we stopped for a little bit and she was OK. I don't think she enjoyed the ride as much as we did because of it, but I know she enjoyed the stops along the way and the beautiful scenery.

You can always turn around, there are plenty of places to do that. We turned at Mile marker 22. Next time I want to go to the end and see the pools! My DH had no problem with the driving. You just have to be courteous and follow the directions posted and yield when told to.

Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we did.

I would do the Luau a different day. They are in opposite directions.

Kat

Don,

I wouldn't drive the RTH same day as the Luau. Yes, it can be done but this will put a limit on your day and ad stress. Do the drive on a day when it dosen't matter what time you get back. You could easily do Haleakala in the morning, catch a late breakfast or early lunch, maybe stop by Iao Valley on the way to Lahaina and then spend some time browsing around town b4 your Luau. Of coarse this would be a full day and if ur doing the sunrise at Haleakala you may want to catch a nap b4 going to Lahaina.

Aloha

The luxurious van that the previous post was talking about I think was the one we are taking. We booked it thru Adventuresinmaui who usually use Ekahi for this tour. However, they have negotiated with Valley Isle and they will pick up passengers of NCL ships after breakfast on ship and do give that gourmet lunch.

Thx for all the additional info re: RTH. I was wondering about the hwy conditions and how vans & buses do these tours. Glad to hear that you didn't have problems with the Town Car, Kat. We're renting a SUV because of some unpaved parts of the road. Really looking forward to this scenic part of Maui!:cool:

Leona

Thx for all the additional info re: RTH. I was wondering about the hwy conditions and how vans & buses do these tours. Glad to hear that you didn't have problems with the Town Car, Kat. We're renting a SUV because of some unpaved parts of the road. Really looking forward to this scenic part of Maui!:cool:

Leona

The part of the RTH that's basically unpaved is around the south part of the island. It's the "circle" route where you don't backtrack to Kahului, but continue on around the south, through upcountry, and back to Kahului by a sort of circle. Part of the road past Oheo Gulch (Seven Sacred Pools) has been closed since last year (after the earthquake). At this time, that section of road is scheduled to be closed for at least the next year, perhaps longer. (Things do change, and it may be reopened sooner, but that's the latest report.) You won't be able to go around the south, so you really won't need the SUV (I assume you are getting it for 4-w/d?) unless you plan to take side trips on side roads, some of which are unpaved, off the main RTH. (Remember that almost all rental car contracts do not "allow" you to drive on unpaved roads, so be careful when you do.)

beachchick

Has anyone done the Ekahi Tour since the end of the tour has been Changed? I can't make up my mind whether to do it on our own or take a tour. I want to be able to swim a couple of times. If the last portion of the trip is cancelled due to the road being close, do the vans stop anywhere on the return route? I have been checking both Valley Isle Exursions ($105.39) or Ekahi Tours (98.99). Both web sites say they are not going to the winery ect. due to road closure but don not say anything further about the itineray.

Right now I have a convertible rented for the 2 days in Maui but I am still thinking of a van tour for Road to Hana and then beaches the next day. I have been reading the reviews throughout the board and I change my mind several times a day.

thanks for your help.

We did the RTH in 2004. We rented a Chrysler Sebring convertible. There were two couple so each DH drove........one in and the other out. This way they both could see the beautiful scenery. We thoroughly enjoyed it. I got a CD for the car that guided us on our wonderful tour. We got the CD on Ebay. Here's a link to a couple of current ebay auctions. You can also buy them in Maui but we had fun listening to ours pre-cruise.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Maui-Hawaii-Road-to-Hana-Self-Guided-CD-Tour_W0QQitemZ140155182031QQihZ004QQcategoryZ307QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Maui-Hawaii-Road-To-Hana-Audio-Self-Guided-Tour-CD_W0QQitemZ120159845482QQihZ002QQcategoryZ307QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Word I got from adventuremaui was the winery is the only deleted stop. Still goes to O'heo Gulch (seven pools). I'm like you in trying to decide between doing a tour or going it on our own. Doing the tour gets you a local guide and reliefs the hassle of driving. Doing it on your own gives you the freedom of staying or moving on when you are ready and maybe stopping at places not on the tour. I'm probably leaning toward a rental car as I really don't mind the driving, even if I can't enjoy the scenery as much and it is a lot less $$.

Has anyone done the Ekahi Tour since the end of the tour has been Changed? I can't make up my mind whether to do it on our own or take a tour. I want to be able to swim a couple of times. If the last portion of the trip is cancelled due to the road being close, do the vans stop anywhere on the return route? I have been checking both Valley Isle Exursions ($105.39) or Ekahi Tours (98.99). Both web sites say they are not going to the winery ect. due to road closure but don not say anything further about the itineray.

Right now I have a convertible rented for the 2 days in Maui but I am still thinking of a van tour for Road to Hana and then beaches the next day. I have been reading the reviews throughout the board and I change my mind several times a day.thanks for your help.

LOL :D I'm so glad I'm not the only one. :rolleyes: It's almost like I need to stop reading ( not going to happen):p and just decide and stick with it.

IMO stick with the rental car as it's much cheaper and then you can stop, swim and stay at a location as long as you want or as little as you want.

The part of the RTH that's basically unpaved is around the south part of the island. It's the "circle" route where you don't backtrack to Kahului, but continue on around the south, through upcountry, and back to Kahului by a sort of circle. Part of the road past Oheo Gulch (Seven Sacred Pools) has been closed since last year (after the earthquake). At this time, that section of road is scheduled to be closed for at least the next year, perhaps longer. (Things do change, and it may be reopened sooner, but that's the latest report.) You won't be able to go around the south, so you really won't need the SUV (I assume you are getting it for 4-w/d?) unless you plan to take side trips on side roads, some of which are unpaved, off the main RTH. (Remember that almost all rental car contracts do not "allow" you to drive on unpaved roads, so be careful when you do.)

beachchick

Thanks, beachchick! I have heard that the circle drive is no longer possible, but not sure the reason why. I guess that's why there are detours. Oh well, the SUV rental is only $35 for the day so we might as well keep the same class vehicle.

Leona

Sail&Cruise (Leona): I'm glad I could fill you in on the reasons. As it's only $35 for the SUV, I'd definitely keep it. The extra "oomph" and handling may be nice for whoever drives the RTH anyway because of all the twists and turns and one-lane bridges, and so on. Plus, there are several side roads which lead to interesting things, but you've got to have 4-w/d to get there. (Again, those are unpaved, so be careful if you drive them. Some rental companies do check cars for signs that you've gone off-road.) Do try to get one with storage that is covered because you do NOT want to leave anything visible if you park and leave the car anywhere. There are really no more car break-ins than at other top tourist destinations, but there are no fewer break-ins either, especially in remote areas.

beachchick

Saw that you mentioned that you did the sunrise bike tour. Can you give me a detailed description of it and how hard was it? Is it very scary riding down the mountain? Also how cold was it up at the summit when you went. I am going on the Pride of Aloha soon and am debating this excursion. Any details you can give would be appreciated it. Thanks.

• Administrators
Saw that you mentioned that you did the sunrise bike tour. Can you give me a detailed description of it and how hard was it? Is it very scary riding down the mountain? Also how cold was it up at the summit when you went. I am going on the Pride of Aloha soon and am debating this excursion. Any details you can give would be appreciated it. Thanks.

Smoochie, I just finished doing exactly that on your question on the thread about weight limits for Haleakala. I would add that I didn't find it "scary" -- I had GREAT confidence in our guides, especially after they said "if you have worries and CHOOSE to ride in the van a while, you can get out at any stop you want and bike as long as you want. If WE have to put you in the van (due to crossing the center line, weaving, over-braking) you can't get out again." From that I knew our safety was their priority and I relaxed and really enjoyed the trip.

I hope that post and this one answer your questions -- I kind of went a bit overboard in the detail department! ;)

• Administrators

Right now I have a convertible rented for the 2 days in Maui but I am still thinking of a van tour for Road to Hana and then beaches the next day. I have been reading the reviews throughout the board and I change my mind several times a day.

thanks for your help.

If you check my review (linked below) I have described as fully as I could our Ekahi tour on the Road to Hana. We had swimming opportunities at Hana Bay (where we had lunch) and at Ohe'o (the seven-sacred-but-not-really-'cause-there-are-more-than-seven-and-they-weren't-sacred-but-it-sounds-good pools). :) We also went to Lindbergh's grave, at a small Congregational church which is currently as far on the RTH as you can go due to closures -- we turned left toward the church within sight of the "road closed" sign. Hope that helps.

Thanks MichellP - I must not have seen that! Sorry... I am reading so many threads here... One more question. Approx how long are you actually biking down and how comfortable are the bikes. (the seats)?

Thanks again!! Appreciate all the great information!

• Administrators
Thanks MichellP - I must not have seen that! Sorry... I am reading so many threads here... One more question. Approx how long are you actually biking down and how comfortable are the bikes. (the seats)?

Thanks again!! Appreciate all the great information!

Standard bike seats (i.e., a really uncomfortable piece of leather! At least for our trip)... and the total thing including "strip stops" and breakfast was right at 4 hours after sunrise.

The road to Hana is NO big deal in terms of driving. More hype than "danger." I've driven it countless times and it's always beautiful and amazing. This is the secret to Hana:

Do not take a tour bus.

Drive on your own and head out early before the tour buses hit the road. It will be a good ride gone bad if you are stuck behind them for hours.

The road to Hana is NO big deal in terms of driving. More hype than "danger." I've driven it countless times and it's always beautiful and amazing. This is the secret to Hana:

Do not take a tour bus.

Drive on your own and head out early before the tour buses hit the road. It will be a good ride gone bad if you are stuck behind them for hours.

Some people really feel more comfortable with a tour. (We don't, but that's our personal preference. We're not tour bus people anyway and wouldn't dream of being on a bus for that kind of tour. We want to go where we want to go when we want to go there and stop where and when we choose.)

I don't think it's wise to say that the RTH is "no big deal" in general terms.

For us, it's just tiring, but not a big deal at all. For others it can be a real challenge. Not everyone is comfortable with the twisting, turning road or the one-lane bridges, and so forth. Not everyone has experience driving this type of road. You've driven it many times, so you are comfortable with it. We've driven it only a couple of times, but my DH is comfortable driving anywhere under pretty much any conditions. Because of that, it's certainly not difficult for you or for us.

I do agree about heading out super early to avoid the crowds and tour buses. And I do agree that for anyone who would feel comfortable driving on their own that it is the only way to go (again, my biased opinion).

I just don't want timid, insecure, or inexperienced drivers to think it's no more challenging than driving to the mall or wherever.

beachchick

Archived