help from the New Yorkers please!

tourer

Thanks Name game. That's exciting news, we love H & M. Two and a half weeks to go before our trip and we can't wait! I had booked the Sofitel on a flexible rate and now the Westin has reduced thier prices for a club room which gives us extras like breakfast, so we might change. Oh, decisions, decisions!! Sue

That's a tough decision between the hotels. Good luck. I think the location of the Westin is a little less crowded than the Sofitel. The Playwright's Pub is right by the Westin (one of them, there are three). It's not the greatest restaurant but I always run into broadway actors there (some TV stars too).

Thanks Name game. That's exciting news, we love H & M. Two and a half weeks to go before our trip and we can't wait! I had booked the Sofitel on a flexible rate and now the Westin has reduced thier prices for a club room which gives us extras like breakfast, so we might change. Oh, decisions, decisions!! Sue

Breakfast is one of the things that is really cheap in Manhattan. Unless you get a considerable savings from the Westin, I wouldn't change my hotel.

Sofitel is much better than the tacky Hotel Pennsylvania --- a reasonably mobile out-of-towner can make one north-south block in two minutes, and should allow five to six minutes for east-west blocks (New Yorkers need less time as we can walk and ignore people around us at the same time). You can get to Macy's (straight south) at 34th in an easy 20 minutes from Times Square - also Saks Fifth Ave about 20 minutes from Times Square -mainly east and a bit north.

Stay off the subway if possible -- and ignore the bus -- a good part of a visit to NY is walking it. Enjoy

Thank you all for your feedback. I've currently got BOTH hotels booked with a no penalty cancellation policy and two weeks to decide! I have been wearing my new boots around the house to "loosen" them up for all that walking and shopping..well I'm quite good at that already! Thanks again Sue

Thank you all for your feedback. I've currently got BOTH hotels booked with a no penalty cancellation policy and two weeks to decide! I have been wearing my new boots around the house to "loosen" them up for all that walking and shopping..well I'm quite good at that already! Thanks again Sue

Go find the first concrete pavement you can and walk back and forth as fast as you can on it.

I have the same impression......what looks like a LOOOOOONG walk isn't....I guess since there is so much always going on, time just kind of flies...and it's only like that in NYC....the blocks fly by. Chicago and DC too, but not as fast as NY. I thought I was the only one who thought that!

This is so true!! but funny I thought me and my sister were the only ones who thought like that...haha

Sofitel is much better than the tacky Hotel Pennsylvania --- a reasonably mobile out-of-towner can make one north-south block in two minutes, and should allow five to six minutes for east-west blocks (New Yorkers need less time as we can walk and ignore people around us at the same time). You can get to Macy's (straight south) at 34th in an easy 20 minutes from Times Square - also Saks Fifth Ave about 20 minutes from Times Square -mainly east and a bit north.

Stay off the subway if possible -- and ignore the bus -- a good part of a visit to NY is walking it. Enjoy

Great info...I agree 100%..

We visit NY often...it is one of our favorite weekend places to visit...sometimes when we visit NY that's all that we do all day long is walk around..there is so much to see, and FREE!!! We like FREE!!! we walk around and look at the people, eat, walk some more, shop, look at the people and eat some more...haha...and at the end of the day we think we have had a great time..:D

Don't forget to look for the CowBoy with his Briefs on and Guitar in Hand. you'll find him on Times Square..

You should check out China Town once Dad gets himself together (a New Yorker can give you the streets) as your daughter would absolutley love the shopping there...

If you love big cities with a lot going on and can get pass the crowds then you will have a wonderful time no matter what you do...

I like to walk but for some two or three mile jaunts, I still recommend highly the subway, except for rush hours. 7-9 and 5-7...when it will be crowded.

The subway is the best transportation around the city. Faster than cab or bus and cheap.

Archived