Princess Cays questions

Eddie4Paws

Hi. I usually don't do "the Cays" fully, I usually just visit for a little while, have some lunch, and then go back to the ship. This time, I plan on "doing it up" and actually spending some time on the island. ! I have some questions for you Cays Experts, that I'm sure you can answer. :)

Regarding the rental of the Sea Board ($5): On the pre-reserve excursion page, it shows the time for only one hour. Has anyone rented this, and if so, is the rental for one hour, or for the day?

As far as snorkel equipment goes, the Deluxe Snorkel: $30 for mask, fin, vest, fish identification card and fish food: Does anyone know if you get to keep the fish identification card? Many years ago while on an NCL cruise, I had rented snorkel equipment, which included the I.D. card, and we got to keep the card. Also, does anyone know what type of fish food is used?

And lastly, the Cabana rental. Can someone describe that to me? I think I know what it is. If you're laying on a chaise lounge, the upper portion of your body is in the shade, however you are exposed from the waist (or thereabouts..lol! ) down?

I sure appreciate any and all information you can provide. Thanks so much! :)

Hope you don't mind if I come along for the ride on this thread. I'll be sailing on 9/16 and was wondering about info on the Hobbie sailing, both classes and renting. It can't be pre-booked, so I'm wondering about proper availability. Thanks.

When we were at the Cays all the folks that rented the cabanas were sitting out side of them. It was not hot at all --most felt a waste of money.

I would wait until your on the ship to rent and check out the weather.

The snorkling area is limited and you might only do for a short while. You might consider buying mask and snorlk at like Sams club or discount store. and leave behind if you don't want to haul it home . I hate using rent mouthpeices. Just a thought.

The fish food is dry dog food. We bring our own--Beauty doesn't mind sharing.

Everytime we have been at the Cay the weather has been cool, water rough. and lots of rentals could be had at the beach rental that day.

hopes that helps

When we were at the Cays all the folks that rented the cabanas were sitting out side of them. It was not hot at all --most felt a waste of money.

I would wait until your on the ship to rent and check out the weather.

The snorkling area is limited and you might only do for a short while. You might consider buying mask and snorlk at like Sams club or discount store. and leave behind if you don't want to haul it home . I hate using rent mouthpeices. Just a thought.

The fish food is dry dog food. We bring our own--Beauty doesn't mind sharing.

Everytime we have been at the Cay the weather has been cool, water rough. and lots of rentals could be had at the beach rental that day.

hopes that helps

I agree for hygenic reasons, about not wanting to use someone else's snorkel. I went up into my attic and found that my snorkel gear had MELTED! :eek: I live in Ft. Lauderdale, and I guess I didn't realize just how hot it got up there!

Who knew that fish liked dog food? I guess as long as its not the toxic food from China, the fish will be happy. I'd hate to see schools of dead fish floating around.

Thanks for the info about the cabana rentals. I just found another thread about them.

Bring your own gear.......dog food........card not worth it......go left as you get off the tender (towards the food) and little shops .......go far for the best ...... cabanas not worth it....... plenty of shade to be found.

I had a feeling that the card was a burden to bring in the water (as previously posted). I've already reserved the cabana. Does anyone know if I can I cancel that reservation now, or do I need to wait until I get on-board?

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it.

Beach shoes are a good recommendation as it is a little rough walking to and from the water. You should be able to cancel your cabana right on-line the same way you reserved it. Just bring up your cruise and go to the 'edit' button. I got one last time and it wasn't worth it at all. This time I have reserved a bungalow so I'm hoping that will be better.

To do the Cays fully....there is something else to think about for Princess Cays. I saw this thread and thought it would be fun to "find" it. You could snorkel or uncover the mystery of the island or learn a bit of history of the island!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=269311&highlight=Princess+Mystery

Also, I loved the Princess Cays. When we were there, they had a swimming area and a snorkeling area. As far as cabana, I havent rented one, but I have heard that they reserve up quickly so think about it before cancelling as you might not be able to get it back.

The fish ID card must be a newer thing. We went in 2005 and we didnt get one. I agree on the water shoes, there are rocks and stuff in the water that you have to get through as your going out to snorkel. Enjoy your trip!

If you intend to swim as well as snorkel, I highly recommend taking beach shoes. The beach is rocky and the sand is full of rocks and coral pieces.

Thank you so much for the advice! I've learned THAT lesson the hard way! :eek: A few years back, while on RCCL's private island, I hit my toe against a huge chunk of coral, breaking the toe. Unfortunately, it was the first day of the cruise, too. (Right now I'm dealing with yet ANOTHER broken toe- where the bone is severed). You'd think I have huge flipper- like feet the way I keep hitting them against stuff! Actually, I'm just a klutz! LOL!

Beach shoes are a good recommendation as it is a little rough walking to and from the water. You should be able to cancel your cabana right on-line the same way you reserved it. Just bring up your cruise and go to the 'edit' button. I got one last time and it wasn't worth it at all. This time I have reserved a bungalow so I'm hoping that will be better.

Thank you for giving me the instructions to cancel the cabana. I need to first check with my cousin and see if she wants the cabana or not. Personally, I love the sun, but I know that she's not into it that much.

Does anyone know if there are hammocks on the Cays?

To do the Cays fully....there is something else to think about for Princess Cays. I saw this thread and thought it would be fun to "find" it. You could snorkel or uncover the mystery of the island or learn a bit of history of the island!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=269311&highlight=Princess+Mystery

Also, I loved the Princess Cays. When we were there, they had a swimming area and a snorkeling area. As far as cabana, I havent rented one, but I have heard that they reserve up quickly so think about it before cancelling as you might not be able to get it back.

The fish ID card must be a newer thing. We went in 2005 and we didnt get one. I agree on the water shoes, there are rocks and stuff in the water that you have to get through as your going out to snorkel. Enjoy your trip!

Yes, I read that thread and I am definately intrigued! As having worked crime scene investigation for 15 years, I LOVE a good mystery! :D

EEWWWW:eek: I hadn't even thought of the fact that you would have to share !! Had planned to rent but will defo buy now!!! Where is Sams club etc for those coming in from outside of the USA?

Thanks for all the tips will not rent a cabana now - though there will prob be a mad rush to go left when we get there!!

Strummer

Thanks for all the info. We'll be there for our first time.. um Saturday. How great I forgot what day it is! We're going to bring our snorkel gear, is there a certain area or can we snorkel anywhere? Is their lots of fish?

We're having AWESOME weather despite it being the height of H season. :)

Thanks for all the info. We'll be there for our first time.. um Saturday. How great I forgot what day it is! We're going to bring our snorkel gear, is there a certain area or can we snorkel anywhere? Is their lots of fish?

We're having AWESOME weather despite it being the height of H season. :)

Go Left when you land.......as far as you can go

for the UK guests if you can stop at any of our "Drug Stores" like Walgreen, Rite Aid or CVS on the way to the ship, they would also have snoorkle gear.

I think some of the ships also sell gear in there gift shops.

Also just a note since I wear glasses I bought RX mask and gear on line I think it was snoorkle mart. If you goolgle RX masks I'm sure it will come up. It was a very wise investment. Now I don't miss the fishes at the bottom!

Cheers!

Archived