Platinum shares cabin with Elite Member

Leslieswiger

I have been asked by some, who will be with us on our Australia/China cruise the following question. I am not sure of the answer. If a Platinum Member shares a cabin with an Elite Member, do they also get the complimentary dry cleaning and laundry services?

Thanking you in advance for your time and interest in the above matter.

Happy Sailings.....Leslie Swiger:)

I have been asked by some, who will be with us on our Australia/China cruise the following question. I am not sure of the answer. If a Platinum Member shares a cabin with an Elite Member, do they also get the complimentary dry cleaning and laundry services?

Thanking you in advance for your time and interest in the above matter.

Happy Sailings.....Leslie Swiger:)

There are many benefits that the Platinum member will share in but they will not be entitled to complementary laundry or dry cleaning. So if the Platinum member sends in separate laundry/dry cleaning they will be charged.

Yes --

The Platinum Member gets the free laundry and dry cleaning

This is incorrect.

The Ellite member would receive the free laundry but the Platinum will not.

Ran into this in line on our cruise last week with a gentleman whose wife is Elite (her first cruise on princess but the Elite was from her TA status). His first cruise also and he was having a fit because they charged him for HIS laundry. This being his first cruise, I explained to him he wasn't entitled to it, which did not make him very happy at all.

This is incorrect.

The Ellite member would receive the free laundry but the Platinum will not.

Ran into this in line on our cruise last week with a gentleman whose wife is Elite (her first cruise on princess but the Elite was from her TA status). His first cruise also and he was having a fit because they charged him for HIS laundry. This being his first cruise, I explained to him he wasn't entitled to it, which did not make him very happy at all.

Things must have changed since our last cruise in January.:confused:

The folks next to us (Wife - Elite; Husband - Platinum) both had their laundry and dry cleaning -- gratis.

Their Cabin was designated -- Elite.

They used their individual names on the laundry bags.

Any way -- Thank you for the info:)

Thanks everyone for your time and interest in my thread. We are elite members from doing 33 sailings with Princess. I have even called Princess and got three different answers. One said "YES" , the other said "NO", and the third told me I do not have the answer.:eek: Why do they not have a cut and dry answer for this?:confused:

Happy Sailings....Leslie Swiger:)

What about the wine tastings? Would the one Elite cover both?

Afraid to give you an answer now, since the OP called Princess and received a: No, Yes and Don't have a clue, concerning Laundry/Dry Cleaning.

Maybe -- Just maybe --

Princess made some changes to Elite and Platinum on April 1st;

Internet (For example).

Laundry/Dry Cleaning may be a hidden change.

Who knows what the Bean Counters have come up with.

Here's what happened on the Star Princess on May 22 sailing regarding this.

I am an elite, this was my new husbands 1st cruise.

All answers given to me were from the Captains Circle Hostess onboard.

Her name is Jenn, blond hair I believe Canadian.

Wine Tasting: I was covered, he was not. I asked Jenn if he could attend complimentary she said no.

Priority Tender: we did not need this, but out of curiosity I asked if he would be included since he was traveling with me. She said no.

So, if a tender was needed and I wanted to leave the ship with my DH I would lose that benefit.

Disembarkation lounge: I was told he would be turned away, but I could enter

Invited for Captains Lunch: I was told he could not accompany me.

So, when it came to laundry I put EVERYTHING under my name and it was complimentary.

I realize there are rules to the benefits, but Princess bean counters really need to read an Etiquette book regarding a married couple.

Princess says they are a consumate host in thier literature,

but I believe Miss Manners would say otherwise.

but then again...since i'm paying to be onboard and they are taking my money. maybe all etiquette no longer exists

when it comes to this arrangement. It then becomes rules are rules and if you don't like it suck it up or take your money elsewhere.

the jury is still out on that one....

WHERETONEXT....We went to Hawaii in April. I am Elite my SO is not. All the things you were told are exactly opposite of what happened to us! We both did the comp wine tasting; both had priority tendering; both had disembarkation lounge; our cabin steward did not seperate laundry into 2 bags, so we both had free laundry.

ah ethel...

that sailing had a multitude of issues which I've posted elsewhere, which can be located by anyone interested...

perhaps it was the ship or the Captains Circle hostess' personal belief system.

It was my 1st sailing with someone who wasn't Elite as I usually cruise with my mom who has been my cruising partner since I was very young (about 30 years!)

if my DH ever sails agains it will be a miracle...

he kept saying over and over ... is this normal??? is this how cruising works?

um no, not in my experience and probably not in most of this boards experiences put together!

anyway, glad it worked out for you and your SO...:) :) :)

Here's what happened on the Star Princess on May 22 sailing regarding this.

I am an elite, this was my new husbands 1st cruise.

All answers given to me were from the Captains Circle Hostess onboard.

Her name is Jenn, blond hair I believe Canadian.

Wine Tasting: I was covered, he was not. I asked Jenn if he could attend complimentary she said no. This is also what my experience has been on a recent cruise.

Priority Tender: we did not need this, but out of curiosity I asked if he would be included since he was traveling with me. She said no.

So, if a tender was needed and I wanted to leave the ship with my DH I would lose that benefit. Two tender tickets where in our cabin when we boarded so I was able to take DH with me. No questions asked.

Disembarkation lounge: I was told he would be turned away, but I could enter. Not true, you are allowed to take you traveling companion in with you since you are both disembarking at the same time it wouldn't make sense that you can't be together.

Invited for Captains Lunch: I was told he could not accompany me. If you are a single Elite in the cabin your invite is usually for you and a guest.

So, when it came to laundry I put EVERYTHING under my name and it was complimentary.

I realize there are rules to the benefits, but Princess bean counters really need to read an Etiquette book regarding a married couple.

Princess says they are a consumate host in thier literature,

but I believe Miss Manners would say otherwise.

but then again...since i'm paying to be onboard and they are taking my money. maybe all etiquette no longer exists

when it comes to this arrangement. It then becomes rules are rules and if you don't like it suck it up or take your money elsewhere.

the jury is still out on that one....

Let's hope the Captain's Circle host just misunderstood and Princess hasn't gotten so ridiculous about this.

We were on the Sea Princess this past June. I am Elite, and my husband was Platinum. (He is now Elite, too.) We never asked anybody if he could accompany me. We just went. We did priority tender embarkation. I showed my card, and he followed. We put all of the laundry under my name. No biggie. I end up doing his laundry at home... I'm in charge of laundry. Period. We did not do the wine tasting. There was something else going on at the same time which I preferred. So I can't comment on that. We both went to the special lounge at the end of the cruise. And he drank his share of the complementary bar set-ups. They also brought us canapes for two on formal nights.

Joan

Philly....

a guard was posted by the wheelhouse lounge at the entrances for the disembarkation lounge checking guards(I kid you not)

your husband is platinum he could have gotten in, but my DH was blue card.

thanks for reminding me....

we received canapes for one and asked for additional...love the prosciutto, melon wrapped around the breadstick and we were told point blank there is only one elite in the cabin and no more would be offered.

many ships are giving priority tender tickets in your cabin if you are elite.

this was the case on the Dawn Princess in Dec 2006 and Feb. 2007, no priority tender ticket no priority tender boarding. that's why I asked ...

thankfully in the Baltic we didn't need them.

CactusRose...

when I was on the Dawn Dec 2006 and Feb 2007 each sailing had a diffrent hostess and so I asked them if my DH as a blue card

would be allowed to accompany me when we were on the Star in May and both said:

Absolutely not a problem we would never seperate you from your husband.

I thought...perfect...this will help woo him to cruising...

Sadly, when we boarded it was the complete opposite!

it was definatey a jaw drop for me and

the icing on the cake of so many other incidences that transpired on that sailing.

Princess offered us a 450pp credit for the whole fiasco of that sailing so that might inspire my DH to book a cruise again.

but I think I might be back to 3 weeks of land travel with him and eating

jambon y fromage sandwhiches on pigeon pooped church steps!

:D

I think the op is back to her original answers from Princess...

yes, no and maybe...

On our last 2 cruises........... Coral and Island we had guest that weren't platinum and we had no trouble taking them into the disembarking lounge. The Captain Circle hostess was at the door and never said a word.

On our next cruise our friends are traveling with us again, so we'll see what happens.

cactusrose....

well, i'm hoping you found the other post ....

because you know people are going to slam me hard...if they think you are just referring to this....

I think we all know for Princess to shell out 450pp it must of been pretty bad!

:)

Oops sorry. It is never my intention to get the feeding frenzy started. :eek: Frankly, I think this is bad enough but there is certainly more to this story. I love Princess but they don't always do the right thing and I know that it is possible to have a bad experience with them. Sometimes it just all goes terribly wrong.

I would think that the "official" answer would be no, that these specific priveledges can not be shared. Some of these benefits are for the member, not the occupants of the cabin. However, Elite members get the upgraded bathroom ammenities, afternoon tea service, canapes, and bar set up. Are they just going to serve these for just one person in a double occupancy cabin? I would think that its no skin off Princess' nose to allow travel mates to get these benefits.

It seems discretionary about the tender tickets, the wine tasting and dissembarkation, but that would really be poor customer service for a Princess employee to break up a couple and allow one, but not the other. That would put the Elite member in the position of either not using the benefit, or going without their partner. (I'd hazard a guess that if a couple chose the latter, that the rest of their cruise wouldn't be bliss!) I, too, would put all the laundry together under the Elite member's name. If the laundry bags are under two different names, I would think that the Platinum member would get charged for the service whereas all the laundry in the Elite member's name would not be charged.

Only being a gold member (for now), is the Elite bar set up for one person or two? Can anyone answer?

This is a very simple and should be the Princess policy.

If an Elite is traveling in the same cabin with a non Elite, all Elite privileges should be extended to the non elite.

There should be NO other answer. Princess, take note, make it your policy. It won't cost much and the goodwill is endless.

I found this thread to be so interesting. I really sailed on Princess for the first time and loved it. Usually my family sails Carnival and are Platinum members (over 10 cruises so more similar to Elite status benefits on Princess). The general opionion I'm sure is that Carnival is considered lower end than Princess. However, with regard to this type situation Carnival way exceeded Princess. As said, I was Platinum & shared a cabin with a friend who was only on her 2nd CC. Another friend & her husband booked a cabin too (also their 2nd CC). At embarkation and disembarkation we all received priority status. Canapes for 2 were sent to my room (understandably not the other cabin though). When a tour of the gallery for Platinum members only was held I asked if the other 3 people that travelled with me were allowed to attend. I was told certainly! On my friend's first CC I received a letter for the repeat customer cocktail party & brought her along with me - no problem. I didn't use the laundry option & I'm sure that would have been limited to only the Platiunum card holder. I am really shocked Princess would be so petty on such minor things.

Thanks everyone for your time and interest in my thread. I will direct those who emailed me towards this thread. Maybe now they will join our Roll Call for the Australia/China cruise.

Thanks again and Happy Sailings...Leslie Swiger:)

When I was Plat and my husband was Gold, of course we used Priority

Embarkation. There was never ANY question.

He also got to use the disembarkation lounge, as well as experience

all of the other perks afforded to my plat. status.

Of course he got priority tender tickets. If they had told me that he couldn't go on a priority tender I would have told them they could stick it

AND i wouldn't have booked a future princess cruise, so please, I mean,

a little common sense here --- why give a perk for one when most

folks are traveling as couples. the only thing my husband didn't get was

the free internet. Big deal, since we sat there together anyway.:cool:

Archived