Owners suite vs. Grand Suite

endi302

Ok, I know the answer is somewhere in the threads but I have searched to no avail. When reading the differences in the two types of suites the Grand says it has a refrigerator and the Owners suite says it has a wet bar. Can anyone tell me what exactly the differences are? We are currently booked in our first Grand suite and I have a problem of always needing to try to upgrade.

It looks like other than more space we get the same amenities so help me justify the extra money.

Also, nothing to do with liquor but how is RCCL with you packing a six pack of Diet Coke in your suitcase? I will certainly spend plenty of money on the cruise on drinks but like to wake up to the tingling sensation of Diet Coke first thing every morning and don't fancy getting dressed and going somewhere to get one!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Diane

We had the GS on the Jewel last year - and it was great.

We had the OS on the Liberty this year and it was really beautiful. You have more space in the OS. You also have a small dining table where the wet bar is in the photo of the GS.

You will have a small wet bar in the OS - and you will have the fridge.

I believe the bathroom was larger as well, and there is a larger foyer.

You can't go wrong with either. If you can afford it - then yes they are both worth the money.

We are going back to a GS on our Med 08 12 night cruise - but I think we'll be just fine. We took an additional cabin for DD and just couldn't go for the OS.

Ok, I know the answer is somewhere in the threads but I have searched to no avail. When reading the differences in the two types of suites the Grand says it has a refrigerator and the Owners suite says it has a wet bar. Can anyone tell me what exactly the differences are? We are currently booked in our first Grand suite and I have a problem of always needing to try to upgrade.

It looks like other than more space we get the same amenities so help me justify the extra money.

Also, nothing to do with liquor but how is RCCL with you packing a six pack of Diet Coke in your suitcase? I will certainly spend plenty of money on the cruise on drinks but like to wake up to the tingling sensation of Diet Coke first thing every morning and don't fancy getting dressed and going somewhere to get one!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Diane

I've always packed a few diet pepsi's in my checked baggage and never had a problem.

However, nowadays we just find a shop at the first port and pick up waters and pepsis for our frig in our room.

Have a nice vacation and enjoy that spacious room! We are hoping to get our first grand suite when we go to Alaska, but that trip isn't budgeted until 2009.

I've always packed a few diet pepsi's in my checked baggage and never had a problem.

However, nowadays we just find a shop at the first port and pick up waters and pepsis for our frig in our room.

Have a nice vacation and enjoy that spacious room! We are hoping to get our first grand suite when we go to Alaska, but that trip isn't budgeted until 2009.

I carried a few Pepsi in my carry on bag and didn't have a problem.

While the space in the OS's just can't be beat I really like the

bar area in the Grand Suite's better. And as Kruuzin said I

don't think the OS has a wet bar. It's more of a counter area

where your ice and glasses are. But, given that I would still

choose the OS over the GS.

You can check out my webshots photos by clicking on the links below. I've had OS on Explorer and Radiance...GS on Vision and Serenade... I like the whirlpool tub in OS as well as the much larger bathroom.. the spinning flatscreen TV is pretty cool too.

There is no difference in the "perks" - it's all about space and a much better bathroom... so you decide what works for you.

Thanks for the replys. Pictures were great and informative. I didn't figure there would be a problem bringing on a 6 pack of diet coke, maybe a case might be an issue! Its been a few years since we have been on RCCL and I know times are changing.

While the Owners suite looks beautiful for just us two I don't think I can justify the extra expense. This will be our first concierge on RCCL and I am looking forward to the CL. If I stay with a grand I will have something to look forward to on the next cruise. Not to mention that gives me more money to plan more vacations with! I am already plotting how I can get five credits the fastest to become diamond! (This cruise 2 credits, maybe a 3 day cruise also next year, hmmm.)

Another side question if you book a Jr suite or higher on a very short cruise such as 3 or 4 days do you still get 2 credits?

Thanks

Diane

Thanks for the replys. Pictures were great and informative. I didn't figure there would be a problem bringing on a 6 pack of diet coke, maybe a case might be an issue! Its been a few years since we have been on RCCL and I know times are changing.

While the Owners suite looks beautiful for just us two I don't think I can justify the extra expense. This will be our first concierge on RCCL and I am looking forward to the CL. If I stay with a grand I will have something to look forward to on the next cruise. Not to mention that gives me more money to plan more vacations with! I am already plotting how I can get five credits the fastest to become diamond! (This cruise 2 credits, maybe a 3 day cruise also next year, hmmm.)

Another side question if you book a Jr suite or higher on a very short cruise such as 3 or 4 days do you still get 2 credits?

Thanks

Diane

Yes, you do!

Thanks

Diane

this was our first time using the Concierge on the Mariner. It's not all it's cracked up to be. It did come in handy when I wanted to make reservations at Chops and it was booked solid. I just asked the host if there was a way to make a reservation and presto--there it was. I did like the bathroom. Our OS on the Mariner had a bidet:eek: and a nice jaccuzzi tub. Plus you get a lot of storage space.

I recently had the owners suite on the legend and the grand suite on the voyager. I loved both of them, but if I had to choose again, I would take the grand suite as I like the much much larger balcony. We are balcony people and all you people out there have to choose a room which suits your needs. Happy Sailing

I just made the decision to go slumming in a Junior Suite. :eek: (yes I am KIDDING, just kidding about the slumming)

Although I loved the size of the grand suite, the price difference between the two couldn't be ignored this time. On Freedom, the only thing I used the concierge for was to book Portofino before I got on the ship.

We never used the CL. We didn't use the ice tickets. And the free fruit basket and champage wasn't worth the extra $1000 to upgrade.

So on Liberty, no GS for us. I'll be rowing with the rest of the grunts on Deck 9. ;)

(But secrectly, I will be watching and waited for a price drop to snatch up a GS)

We always got a lot of use and convenience from having the CL and the concierge... the Concierges on Explorer and Serenade were particularly helpful.. I'd be Diamond if the two credit rule were in effect back then. Oh well.

On Monarch having the GS didn't make as much of a difference because the cabin was not that great (even though it was right after the major refurb) and there was no concierge or CL... I'm fine with an SO on Majesty (plus I just can't afford suites right now) but will certainly see if there are any upgrades day of sailing...

On another note - didn't they solve the OS small balcony problem starting with Navigator?

We always got a lot of use and convenience from having the CL and the concierge... the Concierges on Explorer and Serenade were particularly helpful.. I'd be Diamond if the two credit rule were in effect back then. Oh well.

On Monarch having the GS didn't make as much of a difference because the cabin was not that great (even though it was right after the major refurb) and there was no concierge or CL... I'm fine with an SO on Majesty (plus I just can't afford suites right now) but will certainly see if there are any upgrades day of sailing...

On another note - didn't they solve the OS small balcony problem starting with Navigator?

Yes.

Adventure: See shape of OS balconies. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do?deckCode=10&shipCode=AD&shipProfile=1082&sailDate=1070916&hasNavigation=false

Navigator: See shape of OS balconies: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do?deckCode=10&shipCode=NV&shipProfile=1084&sailDate=1070922&hasNavigation=false

I recently had the owners suite on the legend and the grand suite on the voyager. I loved both of them, but if I had to choose again, I would take the grand suite as I like the much much larger balcony. We are balcony people and all you people out there have to choose a room which suits your needs. Happy Sailing

As far as Voyager class & Freedom class ships go, the balcony in the Grand Suite is larger than the Owners suite on Voyager, Explorer and Adventure. But on Mariner, Navigator and all Freedom class ships, the Owners suite balcony is much larger than the Grand Suite.

Archived