Where to stay for 2 day post cruise .

ciscotor

My wife and have 2 days post cruise ( port of LA) prior to departure from LAX. We would like to spend the 2 days doing tourist sites in LA ( sunset, Hollywood, Tar pits, etc) and the beaches ( Malibu, etc).

Looking for recomendation regarding where to stay for the 2 nights (sat and sun) understanding that LA and beaches area are huge.

Also we currently do not have a car rented . Was wondering if public transist was a option for this type of travel.

You can check into a city tour (like Grayline). Or research ahead of time and rent a car. If you're not familiar with the bus system here, you'll be lost -- and won't be able to see much, even if you don't get lost. The various attractions that are worth seeing are widespread...and L.A. is very huge in area.

Definitely agree about a GrayLine city tour!!! Rental car is essential!

Remember LA traffic is really like NOTHING ELSEWHERE, in my opinion!

Couple years ago we flew into LAX & drove rental car up past Santa Barbara to Morro Bay (absolutely delightful small town) and toured Hearst Castle in SanSimeon. You may not have time for that in only 2 days, but Santa Barbara is also a very interesting city to visit!!

Another area to visit instead might be Newport Beach/Laguna Beach/Dana Point (Orange County)!! That's where we went after another trip in/out of LAX.

Both trips I used Priceline (biddingfortravel website) to find hotel rooms.

Also check out http://www.tripadvisor.com about LA!!!! Lots of reading to do there!

Another idea is that at Long Beach is the old original Queen Mary ship, which you can tour and which you can also stay in.....

If you took a shuttle to your hotel up in that area, you could do the hop on/off double decker all over hollywood/parts of LA at http://www.starlinetours.com/los-angeles-tour-1H1.asp

We come to LA twice a year and have NEVER rented a car. I use supershuttle, city transit, cabs, hotel shuttles and the metro to get around. Its quite easy to navigate and they have a great trip planner online at http://www.mta.net . I would not say its essential to have a car unless you plan on being in Studio City in the morning and Santa Monica that afternoon. That could be a pain.

Santa Monica is one choice that may work well for you. You could easily set up tours (check the internet) or talk with the hotel about arranging tours. You could see Rhodeo drive, malibu beach, Grohmans Chineese theater. The companies pick you up. Unless you have a desire to have your own transportation you may not miss it. I would't spend a lot of time with the city bus system, but a tour company might work well for you.

My wife and have 2 days post cruise ( port of LA) prior to departure from LAX. We would like to spend the 2 days doing tourist sites in LA ( sunset, Hollywood, Tar pits, etc) and the beaches ( Malibu, etc).

Looking for recomendation regarding where to stay for the 2 nights (sat and sun) understanding that LA and beaches area are huge.

Also we currently do not have a car rented . Was wondering if public transist was a option for this type of travel.

Cisco,

I typically recommend Santa Monica to anyone staying in the LA area for more than just a night...whether you have a rental car or choose not to get one...The main reasons are:

1) It is very centrally located to a lot of tourist attractions most people want to see in the LA area...Not a long ride to Malibu, Venice Beach, Beverly Hills/Rodeo Drive, the Getty Center Museum, UCLA/Westwood Village...

2) There are several things to see and do right there within walking distance of the prime hotel area of Santa Monica (You'll want a hotel near the Third Street Promenade/Ocean Avenue/Santa Monica Pier)...This will put you within short walking distance of Santa Monica Beach--one of the LA area's most popular, the SM Pier--with rides, amusements, etc., the Third Street Promenade (shops, restaurants, nightlife), Palisades Park (beautiful ocean views and strolling on the cliffs right above the beach)

3) The wonderful climate--moderate temperatures--thanks to being right at the beach, no smog...

4) The laid back, slightly less urban (than areas like Downtown, Hollywood, Beverly Hills) atmosphere...

If you don't want to have a car, there are tour companies that will pick you up and take you on the standard tourist Hollywood tours...The "public transportation" that's pretty deplorable in LA as a whole is somewhat passable in Santa Monica--which has it's own bus line with short simple routes to Westwood, Beverly Hills, the Getty, et al--though still not any local's favorite way to travel, is still workable...

On such a short trip, you really don't have the time to venture out of the LA area to places like Hearst Castle or Santa Barbara--save those for when you are with us for a longer visit...

Good luck...

Archived