A very important question...restrooms!

This thread got me to go out and buy flushable, degradable, wet wipes. They are at Wally World for a buck a pack of 10. Non degradable is a pack of 15. The tiny pack of toilet seat covers looks too small to have any effect.

Frecklesb

This thread got me to go out and buy flushable, degradable, wet wipes. They are at Wally World for a buck a pack of 10. Non degradable is a pack of 15. The tiny pack of toilet seat covers looks too small to have any effect.

Frecklesb

Is there really a Wally World or is that another name for Walmart. I use small pkts of tissues for toilet paper.:)

Pardon this seedy coment ...The two worst toilets I have encountered so far have been:

1) at the port in Maui--in the historic area public park . After waiting on line for over an hr to get back on board I just had to go in--really bad--lots of druggies too!

2) in the quaint French village of Marigot at a fairly nice cafe..after the meal I went into ladies room--tres awful--a not much to it actually & it had a gaping hole out to the street....

Best so far--at the port in St Kitts..you pay but it is clean & worth it!

We are doing our first medit cruise next week--have stocked up on essentials just in case but am hoping for th best--will cut down on drinking liquids!

Maja, when are you sailing. We are on 10/30 on the Tapestry and would be tickled to report on the bathrooom details, LOL. Maria

hi knitter....Oct.30?...lucky you! I have to wait much longer....our cruise is May 2008 on the Carnival Freedom.

use the toidy on the plane before arrival. The ones at the airport in public ares don't have seats. You can find this same problem all thru Rome, even some restauants. Best solution is to hold it until you get on board or home. I don't know if Hammacher Schlemmer sells a blow up portable seat but it might be worth looking into.

hi knitter....Oct.30?...lucky you! I have to wait much longer....our cruise is May 2008 on the Carnival Freedom.

Maja, then It will be a pleasure to report first hand and of course "bottoms" on this subject when I return. One thing I have learned in traveling overseas is I seldom wear pants or shorts so I don't worry about dropping them on the Ugggh ground while going. I usually wear jean jumper dresses or casual skirts so I can pull it up. Maria

When in Venice avoid the McDonald Rest Room, it was disgusting, Filthy,

Gross. That was 2 yrs ago. Maybe its better now. I plan to check it our in May. It is a good place to go for an American Coffee. Coffee is expensive in Europe.

We toured the Dodge's palace and used the facility there.

The Vatican has a large one in the center area.

Barcelona has Burger King and the RR is up stairs (clean). It is on the center road running through town.

Always have change in your pocket. In France we paid for every RR. Try to use the ones in restaurants in Naples. Naples is not clean.

London has very clean RR on the streets. They look like double phone booths. You need coins.

I've had a good laugh at some of these comments and can contain myself no more. You all are saying Italy has few toilet seats - well, they don't in France, either!(nice restaurants and museums were the exception where we traveled) Someone told me they are rare outside of US.

And as for McD's - went to one in China and it was the dreaded Eastern style - a hole - but a nice hole:p (stainless, etc) I learned years ago to wear skirts when traveling, due to these holes, but in France this spring I was nearly washed away when I flushed - water came from every direction!

This is what I travel for - the experiences!! Here's hoping you enjoy your trip - and all the different experiences!

London has very clean RR on the streets. They look like double phone booths. You need coins.

Aren't there time limits on some of these? I heard that if you don't exit after a couple of minutes, the door flies open.

Also, I saw a story about a toilet booth on the south bank of the Thames that had one-way glass. When inside, you could see everything going on outside, but nobody could see in. Creepy!

Regarding Rome, we used a bathroom in a restaurant just outside St. Peter's Square. We were lucky because the owner/manager let our whole tour bus use it without charging us anything. But the toilets were horribly backed up. And we ate lunch in a very nice restaurant, and sure enough the toilets had no seats! Good thing I'm young and still have the leg muscles to hover!

In Monaco, halfway up the hill to the church where Princess Grace is buried, there was a bathroom where you had to pay the attendant to get one small piece of TP. Because I always carry my own, and the fact that there was no soap, I didn't give her anything.

In Monaco, halfway up the hill to the church where Princess Grace is buried, there was a bathroom where you had to pay the attendant to get one small piece of TP. Because I always carry my own, and the fact that there was no soap, I didn't give her anything.

I totally agree. The whole thing is a scam and it goes back to the owner of the premises. If you are eating or drinking in an establishment they should build the cost of maintaining the toilets into their prices.

But thats probably sky in the pie thinking, like that employers would pay enough to their employees to survive without tips and build THAT into their prices.

I know this is a Med thread--but the best toilets I found while travelling in England was in Harrod's of London. :) Gorgeous restrooms.

Course--it cost me a pound every time I went. I had to go several times (it's a BIG store!;) ). My husband said I must have spent $15 dollar just to go potty. :eek: :D

Aren't there time limits on some of these? I heard that if you don't exit after a couple of minutes, the door flies open.

Also, I saw a story about a toilet booth on the south bank of the Thames that had one-way glass. When inside, you could see everything going on outside, but nobody could see in. Creepy!

Regarding Rome, we used a bathroom in a restaurant just outside St. Peter's Square. We were lucky because the owner/manager let our whole tour bus use it without charging us anything. But the toilets were horribly backed up. And we ate lunch in a very nice restaurant, and sure enough the toilets had no seats! Good thing I'm young and still have the leg muscles to hover!

This is exactly the restroom I was referring to in my previous note here!! I saw the plate, with the coin, so thought there was a charge to use the bathroom. But, when I asked she just said, no madame, please, then gestured to the toilet. Ah ha! So then you discover there is no TP in there, and when yo come out, then you see the tissues, so that it what the plate, coin is for. It made me so darn mad I didn't leave anything! But, I did learn a lesson, to carry the small Kleenix packages. Another "adventure" from our trip that made it memorable! I can laugh now, and hopefully help someone else to have a more pleasant experience in the potty! icon7.gif

Great thread! Actually, I would have never thought to do a search as I never considered the problem!:eek: Since I have never been to Europe I guess I am quite the "innocent" here. We are planning a cruise to Europe in 2009 so I am 'browsing' through the Med threads just to pick up some tips that may come in handy. I'm sure glad I stumbled on this one!;)

I know this is a Med thread--but the best toilets I found while travelling in England was in Harrod's of London. :) Gorgeous restrooms.

Course--it cost me a pound every time I went. I had to go several times (it's a BIG store!;) ). My husband said I must have spent $15 dollar just to go potty. :eek: :D

I too have been a victim of the rip off toilets in Harrods. But when you gotta go you gotta go.

If you ever come to Sydney the nicest toilets are in David Jones in Elizabeth St. Level 4 (I think). They are just as nice as Harrods but they are free.

OK now on the funny side of the subject.

We were on a mid May cruise up in Alaska and out at a US National Park.

The US National Park had in both the male and female restrooms stainless steel toilets with stainless steel toilet seats. It was cold outside so naturally the stainless steel toilet seats were also COLD!!!

Us men were laughing at how fast the ladies were going in and out of the restrooms. No line at that restroom for the ladies on that cold day with those COLD stainless steel toilet seats.:D :D

Most speedy ladies room ever came across.:D :D

I came across this thread accidentally and I would like to thank the person who raised this question because I didn’t know that there was such a huge problem with restrooms in Europe, especially in such developed countries like France, Italy, etc. This is horrible, I’m so squeamish! What am I going to do? :eek: I'd rather pay money to use a clean restroom than invade somebody's restaurant with a hole instead of a toilet, it's so akward.

We are going on 11 night Western Med & Morocco Celebrity cruise in October, I didn’t know I had to pack rolls of toilet papers :D

I came across this thread accidentally and I would like to thank the person who raised this question because I didn’t know that there was such a huge problem with restrooms in Europe, especially in such developed countries like France, Italy, etc. This is horrible, I’m so squeamish! What am I going to do? :eek: I'd rather pay money to use a clean restroom than invade somebody's restaurant with a hole instead of a toilet, it's so akward.

We are going on 11 night Western Med & Morocco Celebrity cruise in October, I didn’t know I had to pack rolls of toilet papers :D

Nightshade. Not to worry. It is what you don't know that scares you. It isn't as bad as you think. Just prepare for the worst. I mentioned in another thread that I wear skirts or denim jumper dresses with pockets. I keep TP and wipes in my pocket giving my purse or belongings to someone in the group. That way you don't have to worry about your pants/shorts falling to the ground and can concentrate are getting in and out. It works for me and Hopefully for you as well. Maria

Archived