When is off season in NYC?

Gingee

Since many cruise passengers are aiming for fun-in-the-sun and a break from the frigid weather of the Northeast US, cruises from New York face stiff competition from the option to fly down to Florida and cruise from there. That, combined with various added costs involved, tend to decrease supply during the winter, keeping prices relatively high. Similarly, cruises from New York enjoy strong patronage throughout the summer, when school holidays are the general rule in the US, and due to its large population and proximity to prime cruise destinations of New England and Canada, so that's a pretty pricy season as well. That leaves the early Fall and the late Spring, though to compensate, there are relatively few cruises available from New York during those times, so lack of supply keeps prices high.

As cruise lines have gained the flexibility of re-deploying their ships to wherever the prime demand is, "off season" is a rare animal, indeed. If it is "off season" somewhere, they'll simply move their assets elsewhere during that time.

For hotel prices, Jan/Feb/Mar are the cheapest. I've gone several times and you just got to dress for the weather. Everything is just about "open" and a great time to come in my opinion.

I too agree, just about the rest of the time is "high" season for hotel rates.

Thanks for the info. I am trying to get a general idea of some of the hotel prices.

BudgetQueen - have you seen the Radio City Apartments before? If so, what do you think about them? We are looking for a family of three with a possible boyfriend going (so we want him in another room). The one bedroom with two double beds in one room and sofa sleeper in the other looks good to us.

My husband did see candid pictures of the rooms and he thought they looked icky.

Thanks for the info. I am trying to get a general idea of some of the hotel prices.

BudgetQueen - have you seen the Radio City Apartments before? If so, what do you think about them? We are looking for a family of three with a possible boyfriend going (so we want him in another room). The one bedroom with two double beds in one room and sofa sleeper in the other looks good to us.

My husband did see candid pictures of the rooms and he thought they looked icky.

Nope sorry, I just about always stay at the Super 8. Have had excellent luck with reasonable rates.

Gingee, Radio City Apts. get decent recommendations on tripadvisor.com....go over there and check out the reviews. Last Fall when I found out peak season hotel rates were outrageous for my family of 4 in Manhattan, I used apartments2book.com and booked their #9 which is Murray Hill East Suites. We were very pleased with it at around $250.00 per night for a 1 BR apartment. Apartments2book has other properties available as well.

Archived