Taxis at Boston pier?

Hootie&Pokey

We will be in Boston on a Princess cruise the first week of October. I know the ship has a shuttle that runs all day to/from the Quincy Market at a cost of about $15-18 round trip per person. But I have read on the boards that a taxi to the same place will cost about $10 each way. Here are my questions:

1) Will there be taxis, enough of them, waiting at the pier when we arrive or do we have to call for them? If we have to call, what is the name & phone # of a good local taxi?

2) Is the approximately $10 price per person or per taxi?

3) Will it be easy to catch a taxi at Quincy Market for our return to the ship?

Thanks for your help!

Just off Explorer of the Seas - NE/CA this past Sunday.

Boston has a wonderful subway system - the "T" - clean & safe & easy to navigate. Find a map here http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/

Fares are $2 each person. The silver line went directly to Black Falcon Terminal where the ship was docked. Nearest station to Quincy market is probably Downtown Crossing or at the Aquarium. There were also taxis at the terminal, but I thought the shuttle RT was too expensive. Download a Boston map, figure out where you want to go, and decide what suits you best. If you do take the T, make sure you check which silver line bus SL1, SL2, or SL3 you get on so you know which one to take back. Just ask the driver - all very friendly and accommodating.

Thanks, Theorion. I agree - the price of the shuttle seems too steep. I know about the T (college in Boston) but it was many years ago & we never went over to where the pier is. Not sure from your response if I would take the T or a bus, or is it a combo?

Thanks again!

The silver line is a bus that eventually goes underground. It ends at South station where you change to the red line. Inbound the next stop is downtown crossing (remember Filenes Basement?) From there it's a nice walk to Quincy Market. Or, at Downtown Crossing switch to the Orange line and get off at State St. Faneuil Hall is just across Congress St. from there if you don't want to walk too much. The Silver line is fairly new - you want the one that services the waterfront. I think it was the SL2 but just double check to be sure. Others go to the airport or as far as the world trade center only.

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/

If you go here and click on the 'interactive street map' tab you can see the T lines superimposed over the streets. Have fun.

Archived