Carnival newbie back from the Glory!!!!!!!!!!!!

bakechef

Hey Mac

Thanks so much for the wonderful review and the Great Pics!! Your new camera took excellent pictures. I'm also on the Spa Deck but on the Destiny in 6 days, I have cabin 1102 and we're next to Camp Carnival. So the pics from your cabin gives me an idea of what to expect. Did you have a bathtub instead of a shower stall??

No bathtub, I thought it would have one, since this considered a family cabin. The bathroom was roomy enough, one question I have is, why cant cruise lines make their shower curtains about an inch and a half longer so you don't get the bathroom floor wet? Well there is a drain behind the toilet, so all was well.

MAC

Wonderful review! We felt the same way last year after our first CCL cruise. We had heard so many negative things - I now know they're from people who have never cruised CCL!:rolleyes: We're loyal to the line now, the value can't be beat and hoping to be platinum eventually.

Also, I loved the pics of the parrots (of course!:D ).

Awesome photos!!

I'm glad Carnival didn't disappoint you. The only other line that I've sailed on was NCL and Carnival is a far better fit for me.

BRING IT ON!!! MORE PICS!!!

:D

I see you are going to jamaica. we are actually looking for a jamaica cruise to go on next year and are searching for our options now.. can you tell me the details for your cruise to jamaica.. Thanks,

Wonderful review! We felt the same way last year after our first CCL cruise. We had heard so many negative things - I now know they're from people who have never cruised CCL!:rolleyes: We're loyal to the line now, the value can't be beat and hoping to be platinum eventually.

Also, I loved the pics of the parrots (of course!:D ).

It was so awesome interacting with such beautiful birds, it was definitely a highlight of the trip!

MAC

Thanks for the great review and photos! I found it especially nice, since I will be doing the eastern itinerary on the Glory Oct. 13. I am very impressed with your photos and want to know more about that camera. I researched the Canon S3 IS and now have a question for you. One seller lists a "1 GB high speed secure digital memory card" as a "MUST HAVE FOR QUICK SHOTS". This card costs $179 on the site I was viewing. Do you have this card, and is it a must have for shots like you've posted? Thanks!

Thanks for the great review and photos! I found it especially nice, since I will be doing the eastern itinerary on the Glory Oct. 13. I am very impressed with your photos and want to know more about that camera. I researched the Canon S3 IS and now have a question for you. One seller lists a "1 GB high speed secure digital memory card" as a "MUST HAVE FOR QUICK SHOTS". This card costs $179 on the site I was viewing. Do you have this card, and is it a must have for shots like you've posted? Thanks!

This is a great camera.

No I don't have this card, I have a basic Sandisk 2GB that I got at circuit city the week before we left for $20, I was very pleased with this card. I did not notice any lag when saving pics to the card, and I recorded video with no problem, at 320x240/60 frames per second which gave good quality and sound (this camera can take much higher quality video, but it will eat up a card in just a few minutes). You may find a faster card a little faster, but $179 for 1GB seems very very steep. I think that very high end DSLR cameras are the ones that really benefit from a card like this, the card will not make the camera shoot a shot quicker, but will save the previous shot to the card quicker, so you can take the next.

Since the S5 IS is out, this camera can be picked up for a very good price, I got mine for less than $300 from beach camera, with free shipping, I was very pleased with this transaction.

MAC

Thanks MAC. So far we haven't been lured by the fancy extras on RCCL like the rock climbing, ice arena, and surfing simulator.

We are looking for time away together and excellent dining.

So far Carnival has met all of our expectations and more~~but we still think about sampling elsewhere.

Thanks!!

Payd:)

I have all that and much more within minutes of home. The standing wave that RCCL uses on board ship was developed by the folks at Schlitterbahn, just up the road.

Carnival tickles my fancy, and if you've ever had your fancy tickled you'll never forget it! :D

MAC, great job. It's a pleasure to hear from someone who can put aside any biases and simply enjoy what a cruise line has to offer.

The photography was wonderful as were the 'blow by blow' descriptions of your cruise.

From your nic, it's not difficult to ken your occupation. The praise that you offer regarding the food re-enforces my opinions and was quite refreshing. From my experience, the food is as esthetically pleasing as it was flavorful, pretty much a perfect combination.

Great job. Thanks so much for the time and effort.

Mach

This is a great camera.

No I don't have this card, I have a basic Sandisk 2GB that I got at circuit city the week before we left for $20, I was very pleased with this card. I did not notice any lag when saving pics to the card, and I recorded video with no problem, at 320x240/60 frames per second which gave good quality and sound (this camera can take much higher quality video, but it will eat up a card in just a few minutes). You may find a faster card a little faster, but $179 for 1GB seems very very steep. I think that very high end DSLR cameras are the ones that really benefit from a card like this, the card will not make the camera shoot a shot quicker, but will save the previous shot to the card quicker, so you can take the next.

Since the S5 IS is out, this camera can be picked up for a very good price, I got mine for less than $300 from beach camera, with free shipping, I was very pleased with this transaction.

MAC

Thank you! After viewing your photos, I'm just about ready to snap one of these little cameras up, before my Oct. 13 cruise!

Thank you Mac for posting such a wonderful and detailed review. We are on the 9/22 Glory sailing and I've been pretty bummed out about the new itinerary. Your review has gotten me feeling much better. I'm really glad you had such a great time. Love those pics!:)

Jillian

Thank you! After viewing your photos, I'm just about ready to snap one of these little cameras up, before my Oct. 13 cruise!

Go for it, it is a nice little camera with more features than I may ever use, but when in auto mode it is as easy as any point and shoot camera.

One of my favorite features is the dedicated movie button, a red button that will instantly start taking video, you can also take full 6mp shots while filming (although this will show up in your video).

From what I have learned 6-7MP is perfect for a point and shoot sensor, any more MP and you start to loose some detail to digital noise (fuzziness), the only cameras with sensors to handle 8mp and up are DSLR (the ones with interchangeable lenses like the EOS line).

There is a guy that frequents the photo thread here (pierces), he has a page that explains so much about digital photography in plain english, he is a wealth of knowledge.

MAC

I am now NOT a carnival virgin!

..... We arrived at the Residence Inn by Marriott, 6 of us were sharing a 2 bedroom 2 bath suite with full kitchen and living room. I highly recommend this property, just minutes from the port. The Residence Inn is very new and beautiful, with a nice tropical pool area with a pool bar, and cool tropical music. We arranged transportation through Cocoa Beach Shuttle, very nice prompt shuttles and a driver with a great personality. When we were dropped off at the ship our luggage was unloaded to the porters someone in our party assured me that my large suitcase was unloaded, guess what it wasn't! I called Cocoa Beach Shuttle and gave the lady the driver's name, she radioed him and he made sure that my bag was brought back to the Glory and loaded, great customer service. Here are pics of the hotel......

Thanks for the great review, I'm doing the same itinerary on the Glory over Christmas.

I hadn't heard of the Residence Inn but when I read your first post I immediatelly checked out some reviews on another site and made a reservation for there for our pre-cruise night. Sound like a great spot and highly recommended.

Just a question regarding the hotel, do you recall a place within walking distance where one might stock up on some wine to bring on board and any decent restaurants within walking distance. Kind of want to avoid renting a car.

Thanks for the great review, I'm doing the same itinerary on the Glory over Christmas.

I hadn't heard of the Residence Inn but when I read your first post I immediatelly checked out some reviews on another site and made a reservation for there for our pre-cruise night. Sound like a great spot and highly recommended.

Just a question regarding the hotel, do you recall a place within walking distance where one might stock up on some wine to bring on board and any decent restaurants within walking distance. Kind of want to avoid renting a car.

It would be kind of a long walk to restaurants, but probably a cheap cab ride. It is probably at least 1/2 mile to any real food. Right where you will find food, you will also find a Publix grocery store, nice higher end store with a nice wine section. There is a Durango steakhouse across the road, and a beef o'bradys, and a few other things in the Publix Shopping center.

There is a good thread in the east coast departure section http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=436720 . It is a huge thread, and active, so any questions should be answered quickly.

The Residence inn, has a pretty decent breakfast that should hold you until lunch (waffles, cereal, biscuits and gravy, homefries, fresh fruit, etc.) The staff in this hotel were so friendly, when the breakfast area filled, they opened a conference room for overflow.

Remember if using the Cocoa beach shuttle, call the front desk the evening prior before midnight, to be put on the list. $6 each round trip, and tips are appreciated.

MAC

I am originally from Maine, I have fond memories of a trip I took to PEI with my parents when I was a kid, it was beautiful, and I hope to make it again some day.

MAC

It would be kind of a long walk to restaurants, but probably a cheap cab ride. It is probably at least 1/2 mile to any real food. Right where you will find food, you will also find a Publix grocery store, nice higher end store with a nice wine section. There is a Durango steakhouse across the road, and a beef o'bradys, and a few other things in the Publix Shopping center.

There is a good thread in the east coast departure section http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=436720 . It is a huge thread, and active, so any questions should be answered quickly.

The Residence inn, has a pretty decent breakfast that should hold you until lunch (waffles, cereal, biscuits and gravy, homefries, fresh fruit, etc.) The staff in this hotel were so friendly, when the breakfast area filled, they opened a conference room for overflow.

Remember if using the Cocoa beach shuttle, call the front desk the evening prior before midnight, to be put on the list. $6 each round trip, and tips are appreciated.

MAC

Thanks for the info, I'm torn as to whether to rent a car for the day. there are 3 of us to get to the hotel from the airport in Orlando and I know the most economical option is to rent a car to drive from the airport then to the shopping and restaurant area. I don't mind driving but I know my mom a very nervousback seat driver and no matter what the cost would prefer not to rent a car LOL.

I am originally from Maine, I have fond memories of a trip I took to PEI with my parents when I was a kid, it was beautiful, and I hope to make it again some day.

MAC

I was just in Bangor during the Labour day weekend doing some pre-cruise shopping at the summer clearance sales. PEI is still here and as beautiful as ever, though getting a bit chilly these days.

Thanks for the info, I'm torn as to whether to rent a car for the day. there are 3 of us to get to the hotel from the airport in Orlando and I know the most economical option is to rent a car to drive from the airport then to the shopping and restaurant area. I don't mind driving but I know my mom a very nervousback seat driver and no matter what the cost would prefer not to rent a car LOL.

I was just in Bangor during the Labour day weekend doing some pre-cruise shopping at the summer clearance sales. PEI is still here and as beautiful as ever, though getting a bit chilly these days.

I grew up in Enfield, near Lincoln. Bangor sure has grown since I left 11 years ago, my family is still up there.

I would rent a car, Cape Canaveral is a really easy 45 min straight shot from Orlando (on the Beachline), and Cocoa beach is not a big bustling city, most everything is on the main drag A1A, or just off that, so it is really easy to get around, and being an off season, the traffic should be pretty light. Heck we were there on Labor Day weekend and the traffic was really light in Cocoa beach.

MAC

Archived