Carnival newbie back from the Glory!!!!!!!!!!!!

bakechef

Thanks SO much for the superb pictorial review. Glad to hear that you considered it to be a great cruise vacation. I leave in five days for the exact same itinerary on Carnival Glory. I'm hoping that she can offer two fantastic Eastern cruises in a row. Thanks, again, for your hard work on getting the review posted. Seems that it is being enjoyed by all. :)

Thanks so much for your review, especially the accompying pictures! I have a Canon "Point and Shoot" digital, so I don't chop off people's heads anymore! My family is grateful. I still haven't RTFM though.

Even though the OV looked like it could be lovely, I think I would miss a balcony. But if I didn't have the option, I would take that cabin.

We have cruised Carnival and Princess and are looking forward to some day cruising Royal Carribean. I also want to try HAL. Fell in love with the sight of the Oosterdam when she was in port with us in PV.

Your efforts are very much appreciated. Hope for your future cruises, you will have a great time, and share them with us.

Sharon

Great review...I loved your including the pictures in your review...and they were great pictures.....I agree with you and I just can't stand those who don't have good things to say about CArnival. I have only sialed them once but I would go again as we found the food great...and the ship a very good value!!

Great review...I loved your including the pictures in your review...and they were great pictures.....I agree with you and I just can't stand those who don't have good things to say about CArnival. I have only sailed them once but I would go again as we found the food great...and the ship a very good value!!

Fantastic photos!!

My dh, dd (age 11) and I did the Eastern Carib on the Glory last month and we had a wonderful time. It was so fun reading your review and walking down memory lane.

We're sailing on the Glory again next August (Western Carib) and we can't wait!

Thanks for a very enjoyable review.

Well the ships are not comparable, Carnival has very Vegas like ships(I liked the gaudy decor), RCCL has very beautiful ships, but the main decor doesn't very too much from ship to ship.

I found the Carnival food to be far and away better than my RCCL cruises, my last RCCL did not offer beef fillet any night, Carnival offered it 3 times Chateaubriand, Fillet Mignon, and Beef Wellington (RCCL offered pork wellington).

Both offer great products, and you will see the difference mostly in the ships themselves, RCCL has an edge here, especially on Voyager and Freedom class ships. The staffs are pretty comparable.

I say give them a try, just do your research and set your expectations accordingly. RCCL has a very strong and stubborn fan base and you cannot often get an unbiased review on that board (there is some history about that).

I would repeat any cruise line that I have taken, I will just research it and set expectations accordingly.

MAC

Thanks MAC. So far we haven't been lured by the fancy extras on RCCL like the rock climbing, ice arena, and surfing simulator.

We are looking for time away together and excellent dining.

So far Carnival has met all of our expectations and more~~but we still think about sampling elsewhere.

Thanks!!

Payd:)

I am now NOT a carnival virgin!

As you can see from my signature I am not a newbie at cruising, and have had the chance to try a few different lines. I always adjust my expectations to what I will expect based on reasearch.

My expectations for Carnival were pretty high, based on reseach, and what I enjoy doing. Let me tell you the Carnival glory did not disappoint!!!

Here is the rundown!

We opted to drive to Port Canaveral from Raleigh NC, and easy 8-9 hour drive, we hit some weather that slowed us down and construction, but still made it in a reasonable amount of time. We arrived at the Residence Inn by Marriott, 6 of us were sharing a 2 bedroom 2 bath suite with full kitchen and living room. I highly recommend this property, just minutes from the port. The Residence Inn is very new and beautiful, with a nice tropical pool area with a pool bar, and cool tropical music. We arranged transportation through Cocoa Beach Shuttle, very nice prompt shuttles and a driver with a great personality. When we were dropped off at the ship our luggage was unloaded to the porters someone in our party assured me that my large suitcase was unloaded, guess what it wasn't! I called Cocoa Beach Shuttle and gave the lady the driver's name, she radioed him and he made sure that my bag was brought back to the Glory and loaded, great customer service. Here are pics of the hotel.

Helpful hint, if using Cocoa beach shuttle through your hotel, you must make reservations the evening before!

IMG_0271.JPG

IMG_0273.JPG

IMG_0274.JPG

DH & live in Winston Salem and also drove down when we sailed the Glory!

We stayed at the Radisson. It was awesome! We were able to leave our car there without charge during our cruise. Will use it again. My pics are in my sig. Looks like you had the same itn. we did. I really loved St Martin most of all though. Again, knew you would love Carnival.;)

Luv's Crusin'

Driving from Raleigh also for this same cruise next May. I am glad to hear it is not a bad drive.

My parents were on the cruise this past week also. They loved it. They are kind of old fashioned. They took a taxi tour in St. Martin and ended up at the topless beach (Orient beach?). They were not expecting that. I tried to warn them ahead of time, but I don't think they believed me.:eek:

I can't stand the anticipation and 8 more long months to wait...

Mac, you have made my day! We are first timers sailing on the Glory in 5 days! :) :) :)

Been waiting a long time for this vaca, since we booked October of 2006! Read soooo many bad reviews, but didn't let that get me down. New those people were not meant for Carnival (or any cruise line for that matter). You make your vacation your own. Treat the staff and crew the same way you would like to be treated. And low and behold...you have a great vacation! It's that simple!

Thanks for the uplifting review. So glad you had a great time!

Will post my review as soon as we get back.

Thanks again!

Amanda

MAC/Bakechef

Like Don who posted above, we sail this same ship/itinerary this Saturday. We've cruised other lines, too, and decided to try Carnival because of the price and convenience of sailing from Port Canaveral. It sounds like we hit the jackpot if our trip is half as great as yours!

Thanks for posting.

Cheers!

Mary Lou

Hey Mac

Thanks so much for the wonderful review and the Great Pics!! Your new camera took excellent pictures. I'm also on the Spa Deck but on the Destiny in 6 days, I have cabin 1102 and we're next to Camp Carnival. So the pics from your cabin gives me an idea of what to expect. Did you have a bathtub instead of a shower stall??

Hi just had to stop and say thank's we are doing this trip on this ship on Jan 5th and looking forward to it even more now ... :) I am glad to see that the itinerary is still like it is listed ... I was thinking that they would put you into nassau last for customs to be done as you get off ... Thank's for letting us know it was painless and did not take long ... Very good job with your reviwe and great photos as everyone has been saying ... This must be one of the most popular trip out thier .. Have fun all ....:D

The decor of the ship is less than subtle, actually I liked it,

- it has a very overdone Vegas feel to it.

The main show lounge, the Amber Palace looked like a 1920's bordello, it was fabulous!

All of the bars have a cool theme,

the Ultraviolet looks like a big monopoly board, more details than you could really take in.

We ate in the Platinum Dining room which looked like a Asian decorated space ship!

The other public areas had cool themes as well,

there was always something to look at.

When we cruised on Destiny,

I too enjoyed the 'overdone' Vegas decor.

I thought it was brave and different.

I wasn't buying a time-share, after all...

didn't have to live with it longer than the 4 days our cruise lasted

and actually missed it enough to use a shot of the elevators in the Atrium

as my desktop background picture for weeks!

It's not the White House or Buckingham Palace

- it's a wacky cruise-ship.

I enjoyed the ship and its decor at least as much as the good service on board

and the destinations!

Archived