Do women still wear slips under dresses?

klct39lg

I'm 66 and only wear a slip if the skirt is such a thin material you can see through it.

However, I suspect that the reason the woman in the commercial was wearing a slip had little to do with whether one should or should not wear a slip and more with what she would be wearing when she took off the dress.

If the dress/skirt is too thin, then by all means wear a skirt. What you see in your mirror at home can quickly change in the sunlight. I'll never forget an outdoor wedding we attended. There were no chairs and my husband and I were standing directly behind the bride's mother. As the sun filtered through her dress, we could see EVERYTHING. She might as well have had nothing on.

I haven't worn a full slip since high school, some 20+ years ago. Although I have a half slip that I wear under 2 or 3 skirts that I have. If the dress or shirt is too sheer, I just don't buy it. I wear pantyhose in the winter to church, but that's it. My 8yo daughter is now learning to always wear a cotton tank under most of her shirts. If she had a skirt that needed a slip, I would get her one.

I'm only 24, and I wear a lot of dresses and skirts (church, plus other dressy occasions each week). I agree with several of the other ladies, slips are meant more modesty. I almost ALWAYS wear a half slip under my dresses and skirts unless the dress or skirt is really heavy and I know for sure no one can see through them if I'm standing in the sunlight.

I think if a woman has on a skirt, and you can clearly see the silhouette of her legs and crotch, to me that just isn't very classy :-/ Like I said, many skirts and dresses are heavy enough not to need a slip, though. Another benefit of slips is that they help smooth out panty and pantyhose lines.

From personal experience, there have been many times when I THOUGHT a skirt was thick enough not to be see through, only to be standing in the mirror at church or another place and realize it's clearly see-through! eek! So now I just make a habit of wearing one.

The last person I want to be like is Britney Spears who makes a habit of showing everyone her privates through her see-through clothing. :D

It's the same thing with underwear. I won't let my thong hang out or my panties show through white capris or shorts. And I try not to let my bra straps be clearly visible. It just looks a little trashy and not "put together".

I am going shopping today and I think I will look at a full slip.

Half slips bug me because I do not like elastic around my waist; this could be the reason I stopped wearing skirts. I wear thigh highs for the same reason. Gosh, I recall the half slip, pantyhose, bikini panties and skirt combo...no wonder I felt like a sausage!

With the full slip I think I would get a nice smooth effect without the annoyance around the waist.

I'm only 24, and I wear a lot of dresses and skirts (church, plus other dressy occasions each week). I agree with several of the other ladies, slips are meant more modesty. I almost ALWAYS wear a half slip under my dresses and skirts unless the dress or skirt is really heavy and I know for sure no one can see through them if I'm standing in the sunlight.

I think if a woman has on a skirt, and you can clearly see the silhouette of her legs and crotch, to me that just isn't very classy :-/ Like I said, many skirts and dresses are heavy enough not to need a slip, though. Another benefit of slips is that they help smooth out panty and pantyhose lines.

From personal experience, there have been many times when I THOUGHT a skirt was thick enough not to be see through, only to be standing in the mirror at church or another place and realize it's clearly see-through! eek! So now I just make a habit of wearing one.

The last person I want to be like is Britney Spears who makes a habit of showing everyone her privates through her see-through clothing. :D

It's the same thing with underwear. I won't let my thong hang out or my panties show through white capris or shorts. And I try not to let my bra straps be clearly visible. It just looks a little trashy and not "put together".

Well, Britney Spears takes it one step further and actually shows her privates! :eek: :D Sooooo gross!

I guess I just haven't ever seen (or maybe noticed is a better word) a woman NOT wearing a slip that looked inappropriate, ever. I don't understand the point about not seeing legs. Even with shorts you can see, "oh yes, that woman has legs." What's wrong with knowing a woman has legs? I'm not trying to debate morals or anything like that, I'm just trying to understand what the big deal is. This is a very interesting discussion!

I don't understand how a crotch could "show" (unless you're standing with your legs apart? :confused: ) Just how see-through are these skirts? Yikes! Now I feel like I better check mine, too!!!

I do agree a visible crotch would be very un-classy, depending on the detail you can see. (OK, now this is getting technical!) :) I just don't understand how you could see much at all, unless you have on a see-through skirt.

The reason I ask is that I saw a commericial the other day for some laundry aid. The gist of it being one could toss their dress into the dryer to refresh it, and then wear it out for the evening. In this commercial the lady took off her dress, tossed it in the dryer. She stood there in her full slip as the dress tumbled in the dryer.

I remember my Grandmother always wore a full slip under her dresses; dressy or everyday. When I was a girl, I wore a slip under my dresses.

Other than for modesty under a sheer dress, what was/is the purpose?

To keep the garment clean longer?

A smoother fit?

The ladylike thing to do?

1. I know the commercial to which you are referring. The clingy knit dress that the woman walks tosses in the dryer requires a full slip. The slip is needed, not so much for modesty in this case, but to allow the dress to fall properly on the model.
  2. I wear slips when I wear knit skirts. It's a habit like pantyhose. Again, it's more a "how did you grow up" thing.

--Judy

I don't understand the point about not seeing legs. Even with shorts you can see, "oh yes, that woman has legs." What's wrong with knowing a woman has legs? I'm not trying to debate morals or anything like that, I'm just trying to understand what the big deal is. This is a very interesting discussion!

I think that a slip can also be used as a device to not call attention to a feature you don't want to feature :). I wear a slip with every skirt and dress so my thunder thighs are not outlined as much. It adds just a nice extra tiny bit of drape and I'll take anything I can get. The only exception may be a stiffer cotton or wool skirt that is already lined.... but my silks, blends etc definitely need it.

I love full slip and would wear them more often (esp in winter) but they make my tummy perspire :o . I wish they would target that market again.

Where does one buy a slip these days? I have a skirt I think really needs a slip and I don't know where to find one. I tried all of the department stores near me and couldn't find any. Thanks.

Kathleen

??? Not sure what kind of department store would NOT carry slips in their lingerie department??

II don't understand why people say it has to do with modesty and that you can see the outline of their legs. :confused: What about when you are wearing shorts or pants? You can definitely see the outline of your legs then. It's not the 1700's. Not trying to flame anyone or anything, but I really don't understand this.

You can't see the outline of your thighs and crotch area with shorts and pants on. You can in a thin unlined skirt, in the right light. THAT is the difference. I won't wear a skirt if it is that thin and unlined as I find slips to be uncomfortable. I have two half-slips, but I can't even remember the last time I wore one.

I think if a woman has on a skirt, and you can clearly see the silhouette of her legs and crotch, to me that just isn't very classy It's the same thing with underwear. I won't let my thong hang out or my panties show through white capris or shorts. And I try not to let my bra straps be clearly visible. It just looks a little trashy and not "put together".

I'm in the same camp. ;)

Modesty for me but if my momma wasn't in a few million pieces in two different cemetaries she might would come back and spank me if I did not wear one when I am supposed to.:eek: I am teaching my 8yo to wear one when the need arises and yes she wore one on our cruise.

That is truly a bizarre thing to write

I was in a JC Penney's recently trying to find some new slips and the gal told me they don't carry them any more! If I had legs like Princess Di had, maybe I wouldn't wear a slip either, but since I am more on the fluffy side, I don't think I would subject others to that view! I'll stick with my slips.

Archived