Long Cruises-$400 Laundry Cost?

Sheldon47

We were on a 14 night B2B with Celebrity and we flew over from the UK so had tight baggage allowances but we had more than enough clothing with us , in all honesty on reflection we took way too much ..... On top of day clothes i took 6 cocktail dresses and an evening dress and my hubby 4 suits and a tux !!!

I only sent a few items to the ships laundry toward the end of the 2nd cruise , some shorts and T's.

We pack all our dirty laundry into an empty case during the cruise and then when we pack for home i actually sort it between 3 cases into colours then when i get home i just need to unpack them straight into the washer ...:)

lets see....

seven day cruise...

14 polo shirts

7 shorts

5 bathing suits

5 dress slacks

10 t-shirts

14 underwear

2 jeans, (disco, Formal NIGHT) just teasing, tee hee

1 tux

1 dark suit

1 dinner jacket

1 casual blazer

2 light v neck cashmeres

5 dress shirts

5 ties

7 pair socks

7 pair sockies ( lil half sox)

2 sneakers, white/ black

tux shoes

2 deck shoes, 1 leather, 1 fabric

flip flops, 2 pair ( pool & town)

leather sandals brown

leather sandals, black

4 gym shorts

5 belts

lets see... did i forget anything?

not counting toiletries or jewelry, that all goes in carry on

oh yeah, a few baseball caps, in case wind musses hair...

of course on 14 day cruise, just double list:cool:

and yeah, my friends wish i were joking, there have been major "disagreements" over closet space both on a cruise and at home!

Hey, it's my husband! ;) :eek:

He does the same thing....with the exception of the tuxes and suit jackets, we rent those onboard so I don't have to pack them and they are waiting for us when we get there.

Hey, it's my husband! ;) :eek:

He does the same thing....with the exception of the tuxes and suit jackets, we rent those onboard so I don't have to pack them and they are waiting for us when we get there.

you obviously married a good man!

I knew i liked you from reading your posties!

This may elicit some groans from the crowd, but scale way back on your workout clothes. Wear the socks and tshirt from yesterday to work out in (assuming you did not heavily soil them on the first wearing). I mean, you're going to sweat and get dirty working out, why does that have to be in just-laundered clothes? I do that at home - if I just bummed around on a Saturday in shorts and a t, I have no problem wearing those to my next workout.

On my lifting days, I don't sweat as much, so can re-use those clothes for heavy cardio the next day. THEN they are toast. Definitely rinse out the sports bra yourself - mine never go in the dryer so I would never send them out for cleaning. Socks are also small - I would take the ones where the elastic is almost shot or the heel blown or a hole starting at the heel and throw them away when done.

You don't say where you're going, which might change the reality of how much you sweat into your clothes. On Serenade, it's either the Vancouver-San Diego, Hawaii or Panama Canal, three completely different climate combinations. So it's a little hard to advise you.

I would also bring fewer workout clothes and more regular clothing than you've laid out. It sounds like you're trying to do the trip with carry-on (airline) only, and for 14 nights that's just not realistic.

For 16 nights in Europe, we had 2 workout oufits each and just washed them in the sink. I also did my delicate undies by hand, as well as some Chico's Travellers stuff that my cabin steward got back from the laundry before they were bleached in the towel I had rolled them in to dry.:eek: :o It took about 10 minutes every couple of days, no big deal.

We spent about $150 on laundry for the cruise for our other stuff. We were able to wear many items twice before they needed a wash. It sounds a little gross, but you get over it pretty quickly, LOL.

(Warning hopping on soapbox) Whatever you do, please don't throw away clothes you "don't want." There's somebody out there who would be grateful to have a chance at them. Unless they're items that would otherwise be tossed on the rag pile like worn out socks & Ts. (off soapbox now).

we are ready to leave on a b2b on the Radiance for 29 days, and I was having a panic attack about packing, but decided I am not going to worry about it , just pack enough, underwear, and hope everything works out ok. we are going to be in Alaska and then go to Hawaii, so I need cold and warm, but will just use the laundry service if we need it, like someone said we usually buy shirts in each port, so just plane on sending out jeans, and maybe a few shorts, and have enough dress clothes to mix and match for the dining room. Do hope they have a special on laundry, but I have never seen one.

Now that could be tricky!!!!! I never had to pack warm clothes.

I've been on 2 ten day cruises and never had the need to wash any clothes and I rarely wear things twice (maybe a pair of shorts or capris). I take 2 big, but not gigantic, suitcases, 1 suitcase for shoes (I took 17 pair on last cruise plus about 6 purses, 3 jewelry bags), and 4 carry-on bags (this is for me and DH). I took about 20 pair of undies but didn't need that many, but they don't take up much space. Now I was able to drive to the port on both cruises. I don't think the bags would've made the weight limit for flying!:eek:

We're doing a 14 night next year on the Serenade and I'm planning on getting off the ship in Skagway and going to a laundromat. Skagway is just jewelry stores and touristy stuff to me anyway, so I don't mind. I have read on these boards that there is a laundromat about 2 blocks from the dock (since Skagway is only 3 blocks long, how far could it be?)

I really try to not pack too much. We're doing the 14 nighter with one 25" suitcase each. That's it...no carry ons. We don't bring formal clothes (before you get all indignant, we DON'T go in the dining room those nights), so that helps, especially with the shoes.

LOVE the pressing service on the ship. This year I sent out my linen pants for pressing only as soon as we boarded and they came back with a crease that you could have cut yourself on!!!

My DH and I can do 14-15 night cruises without wearing anything more than 1 1/2 times. (Do the math...some stuff gets worn twice...other stuff doesn't) We each pack a 26" rolling garment bag and a carry on. Yes, we bring formal attire and 2 sets of workout clothes. Exception: The workout clothes we wash out ourselves many times. It's really easy to pack light.:)

I hope someone else can be more specific but I know that close to the end of the cruise (on 7 days) there is always a laundry special. It is charged something like $20 for as much as you can stick in a bag.

Wonder if they do something more mid cruise for the 14 day ones?

I have never seen this offered on any of my RCCL cruises - even the longer ones of 12 and 14 days. The bottom line is that one needs to pack heavy for RCCL cruises if they don't want to have a big laundry bill.

RCCL needs self service laundries! It is not hard to do a load of clothes ,and I'd rather be able to pack light but still be able to save money by not using the ship's laundry service.

I totally agree with this, but I doubt RCCL will do it because of they believe they will lose revenue moving away from the current situation. But really, if Crystal Cruise lines can have a self service laundry, why not RCCL.

For Alaska we took a garment bag, a large suitcase, a medium suitcase and our larger carry-on as check in...each bag had both of our stuff in it and the larger carry-on was all the rain gear and winter gear. We also each take a carry-on and we take along carry bags (like the one we rec'd as the c&a gift) in case we need it for extras coming home...and I take my cpap...

when we do the 12-night next year, we will take the same bags but the clothes will be lighter since we are in the caribbean for 7 days of the trip...and we will be walking on to the ship instead of flying...

I agree with most...some clothes can be wore more than once (the 1 1/2 sounds about right)...don't stress it, take as much as you can in the alloted suitcases...if you have 2 days on land you could always do a load of needed clothes as soon as you get to the hotel...I am sure they can direct you to the nearest laundry facility...

Happy Sailing

Be realistic...you probably will not work out everyday.

I brought work out clothes for our cruise and never used them once! There is so much to do 24/7!

This past cruise, I sent out two of my S/O's dress shirts and a pair of my shorts and a pair of my capris and the bill was only $10 bucks! Well worth it to us!

I still came home without wearing half of my clothes and half of my shoes!

I should have packed less shoes, less beach cover ups, less make up and less beauty products, more t shirts and more shorts! And higher SPF sun block! And NO Pajamas- just wear the t shirt from the night before--or a smile :-D

I agree, it sounds like you are trying to pack a carry on, or you dont have many clothes. I would prefer to buy more clothes than to waste money sending so much out to be washed!

Besides, I dont want anyone touching my undies!

is what we use to freshen clothing to wear again. We pack for 7 days for a 2 week cruise and either rinse out stuff in the sink & hang on clothes pin clips on the shower line as we sleep, or just steam them to wear again. Salt free steamer for $15 at WalMart does the trick. I have a little bottle of Tide that I rinse stuff out in, in case of a spot.

I have never seen this offered on any of my RCCL cruises - even the longer ones of 12 and 14 days. The bottom line is that one needs to pack heavy for RCCL cruises if they don't want to have a big laundry bill.

It seems to be a Freedom/Liberty thing. Have you been on either one of those ships?

I'll have to look to see if I still have the paper on it in my collection of junk from that cruise.

lets see....

seven day cruise...

14 polo shirts

7 shorts

5 bathing suits

5 dress slacks

10 t-shirts

14 underwear

2 jeans, (disco, Formal NIGHT) just teasing, tee hee

1 tux

1 dark suit

1 dinner jacket

1 casual blazer

2 light v neck cashmeres

5 dress shirts

5 ties

7 pair socks

7 pair sockies ( lil half sox)

2 sneakers, white/ black

tux shoes

2 deck shoes, 1 leather, 1 fabric

flip flops, 2 pair ( pool & town)

leather sandals brown

leather sandals, black

4 gym shorts

5 belts

lets see... did i forget anything?

not counting toiletries or jewelry, that all goes in carry on

oh yeah, a few baseball caps, in case wind musses hair...

of course on 14 day cruise, just double list:cool:

and yeah, my friends wish i were joking, there have been major "disagreements" over closet space both on a cruise and at home!

Good grief! Two polos a day plus t-shirts, plus dress shirts? You wear 4 different shirts in one day?!?!?! NINE pairs of shoes??? Two pairs of socks each day, even bringing four pairs of sandals (please tell me you're not wearing them together :p) :eek:

Be realistic...you probably will not work out everyday. I brought work out clothes for our cruise and never used them once! There is so much to do 24/7!

Don't be so sure. Some of us refuse to break training. If I have a mini-tri coming up, I don't take a vacation from my workouts. They are way more important to me than any ship's activities. Everyone has different priorities and mine is to not return home facing an uphill battle to 'fighting form'. If the OP is an athlete (vs a casual exerciser) then there is every reason to expect she Will Workout.

Good grief! Two polos a day plus t-shirts, plus dress shirts? You wear 4 different shirts in one day?!?!?! NINE pairs of shoes??? Two pairs of socks each day, even bringing four pairs of sandals (please tell me you're not wearing them together :p) :eek:

will admit, I do not wear all of what I bring, But some things I refuse to wear more than once without washing... and I do like a choice in colours of shirts, and I have been known to change often

normal day

1 breakfast wear

2 pool wear

3 island wear

4 cocktail/ dinner attire

5 nightclub/ show

The shoes are a must have

did i mention at least 3 different watches?

obsessive????? me?????

We had a special offered on the Grandeur of the Seas out of Baltimore to the Caribbean for $20.

On the Princess Dawn ship, there was self serve laundry. I just washed on the formal night which we did not attend because we chose not to bring formal wear. No other person in our laundromat two doors down from our room. I loved it. Also last night on ship, I did two loads of laundry. When we got home, no dirty laundry at all. That was so nice.

Royal Caribbean could learn something from that. We knew about the laundry facilities so I only packed for 4 days total, wife did the same. We were very happy with one suitcase and one carry on.

Can you say: Wicking? For all of your workout clothes, get stuff that is wicking - it is SO easy to wash/rinse and then dries overnight. I bet you can get by with 2 or 3 sets of workout clothes maximum (you might need more socks due to drying time). That saves you $158 to start with (plus a heck of a lot of suitcase space)

Personally UnderArmour is my favorite for shorts - not only do they wear incredibly well (no dryer really helps) but they are SO light, comfy and easy to pack.

Archived