Disembark PRIOR to final destination......?

olegna

Has anyone ever disembarked prior to your final destination?

Looking at a transatlantic that docks in NYC then on to FLL. Was wondering if we could leave the ship early in NYC versus flying back from FLL.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Angelo and Clare

It really shouldn't be a problem to disembark in NY. There are no violations of the PSA so long as you have boarded the ship in a foreign country. The only possible complicating factor would be if the shipped stopped at another east coast port before arriving in New York. Otherwise I think it would be easy to arrange.

Has anyone ever disembarked prior to your final destination?

Looking at a transatlantic that docks in NYC then on to FLL. Was wondering if we could leave the ship early in NYC versus flying back from FLL.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Angelo and Clare

I had the exact same thought. It would be so much easier for us to commute back home from NYC. I wouldn't be looking for anything other than the opportunity to disembark in NY. Please post the response if you talk to Princess.

It really shouldn't be a problem to disembark in NY. There are no violations of the PSA so long as you have boarded the ship in a foreign country. The only possible complicating factor would be if the shipped stopped at another east coast port before arriving in New York. Otherwise I think it would be easy to arrange.

It shouldn't matter it started at a foreign port. But you better ask the cruise line they may say no although I am 99% certain its not a violation of any law...

A few years ago we sailed from San Juan and the last port was St. Thomas. We notified the ship that we would disembark there and got a written ok. We wanted to spend a few days on the island. Ship's security was a bit confused but we finally were allowed to disembark with the help of a port crise employee who also drove us to our rental car. They kept talking about customs and I kept explaining that there were no customs for arriving in STT, only leaving. This was on X.

We did a 17 night Transatlantic from Copenhagen to Fort Lauderdale that stopped in NYC and people were allowed off. At that time you could buy a 15 day cruise and get off in NYC or the 17 night and get off in FLL. This was in October 2005 on the Star Princess. Have a close look at the website, there might be an option for you.

Andrew

It shouldn't matter it started at a foreign port. But you better ask the cruise line they may say no although I am 99% certain its not a violation of any law...
It does have to be arranged ahead of time, but isn't usually a major problem. The only issue is that if passengers get off, there has to be an immigration and customs inspection at the dock. I would think that would be done anyway before passengers could get off and tour New York for the day, so it shouldn't be difficult to arrange.

We were on the Regal Lima to San Juan in March. Its stop before San Juan was St Thomas. We told our Agent to make arrangements with Princess for us to disembark at St Thomas. The agent said we couldn't do that. I told her we were DOING it (as I have seen it done before on Princess and other lines at other ports). Bottom line is we got off. She said she had to talk a bit to them, but that was her job as our agent and the bottom line is they agreed.

It is actually a great way to disembark. I will do it that way again if the ports are right. We got up had a nice breakfast in main dinning room, went off the ship, took a taxi to airport, picked up the car, came back, parked at the gate, went back on board had lunch, packed and rolled our luggage (we travel with 2 carry on sized pieces and 2 small bags that hook on to those) down the gangway to the car and drove off to the condo we rented. Was the best disembarktion we have ever done, absolutely no stress.

Make the arrangements and go for it. Just tell the ship staff early in the cruise so they will update their records. I have found over the years what the Stateside office knows is not always relayed to the ship's staff-that was the case this time too. But no problem they sorted it out. it was no problem for us.

Archived