Princess Experience on Sea Princess 15/9/07 at Southampton CANCELLED

Sledge

I was hugely disappointed tonight to find a letter from the Princess Captain's Circle informing me that due to unforeseen operational reasons the Princess Experience Lunch and Tour scheduled for this coming Saturday on Sea Princess at Southampton has been cancelled. I would love to know what the actual reason for such a late cancellation which has thrown my travel plans into chaos bearing in mind I live over 400 miles away.

All I can think of is some sort of health issue on board or a late arrival or early departure this Saturday, it's surely too late in the day for the reason to be lack of numbers. There's nothing I can do of course but I think those of us affected are entitled to be told the whole story. Anyone have any inside information?

Well, the thread title is "Princess Experience cancelled" and the OP's post does say "Princess Experience Lunch and Tour"!

That's a real pain, coming so close to the date. Especially with the OP having to travel all that way for it. My sympathies. I hope that Princess will come up with a proper explanation for what's happened.

due to unforeseen operational reasons the Princess Experience Lunch and Tour

You were just going to lunch and are not entitled to any further reason other than what you were given. Sorry about the drive but am sure you can another place to visit instead.

That's a bit harsh, considering someone might have flown the length of the country to come to an event like this. Of course, there's no entitlement to any further reason, but don't you think it would be courteous of Princess to say a bit more to someone who might have wasted a lot of money arranging to come?

Two days before - and thats all you get? That is such a shame - you must be really disappointed and I can imagine the expense you have already gone to arranging travel and hotel etc.

Sorry to hear that and can assure you that SOME of us are actually capable of reading your post without assuming you are referring to a cruise. Your first line containing the words "Princess Experience Lunch and Tour " kind of gives it away.:rolleyes:

Hope you are able to utilise your arrangements and find something interesting and fun to do instead.

You were just going to lunch and are not entitled to any further reason other than what you were given. Sorry about the drive but am sure you can another place to visit instead.

Actually the trip involves 2 return flight tickets, a car rental and 2 nights in a hotel, hardly just a 'drive' as you so dismissively put it not to mention the cost of the lunch.

Have a nice day and thanks for your concern!

We were on the Sea Princess last year and were several hours late returning to Southampton even though we were sailing at full speed. It was fast-moving tides and currents in the Bay of Biscayne and English Channel that held us up, not mechanical problems. This could be the case here where they know they might be returning late. Better to cancel ahead of time rather than have all of the disappointed guests waiting at the dock. Sometimes, things are out of Princess' (or any other cruiseline) control.

Actually the trip involves 2 return flight tickets, a car rental and 2 nights in a hotel

....just for a lunch ???? WOW ! I still say though that no further explaination is owed. I'm assuming your lunch price will be reimbursed.

Excuse me - you really have an unfortunate way with words. You dont know what the circumstances are of this person. He/she has obviously planned a whole weekend around what I assume was meant to be a special experience. Read the first post - Experience Lunch and Tour. The fact that this person was prepared to make what would seem a lengthy and expensive trip to take part in the Captain Circle invitation - should be enough of a reason to be curious why this would be cancelled with less than 72 hours to go. He or she ( sorry Sledge) is asking if anyone knows anything - if you havent anything constructive to say apart from some extremely snide remarks-it really is best to say nothing.

Honestly - I can thankfully say that most of the posts I have read over the years on this site have been supportive and friendly. Thank the lord there aren't too many responses like yours.

Have a great weekend Sledge and salvage what you can.:)

Lunch or no, I think we can all sympathize to the situation. :)

You made extensive plans for this event and were looking forward to it and now that it has been cancelled its a big disappointment.

We've all been there. I hope that Princess will reschedule so you can have the experience that you were looking for.

:(

Actually the trip involves 2 return flight tickets, a car rental and 2 nights in a hotel

....just for a lunch ???? WOW ! I still say though that no further explaination is owed. I'm assuming your lunch price will be reimbursed.

Do you really have to be so unpleasant? How about trying to be nice?:(

In the UK, Princess invites (some) Captains Circle members to ships on specific turnaround days for a tour of the ship and then lunch, with a bit of a sales spiel and some prizes. It's not free: last year it was £25 per person, and Sledge's post suggests that it was the same amount this year.

Sorry to hear that and can assure you that SOME of us are actually capable of reading your post without assuming you are referring to a cruise. Your first line containing the words "Princess Experience Lunch and Tour " kind of gives it away.:rolleyes:

I guess I'm not capable, because the first thing I thought of was the cruise was cancelled! Glad to hear it was only the luncheon.

Sorry to the OP, that must be disappointing, but I'm glad you found out before you left for the Port.

They have norovirus on Sea Princess. My daughter works on board and said they are at "red alert" right now. Things are very restricted for the crew and passengers are being careful. The ship will probably go through a thorough disinfecting process and that could be the reason for the cancellation of your lunch.

Marie

They have norovirus on Sea Princess.

Marie

Well, that makes sense then. They don't like to put the word out that noro is onboard any ship. But it takes awhile to disinfect as much as possible before the new passengers arrive. But I can see why they just cancelled but didn't give a reason.

There is usually an explanation for things, just some are not widely talked about.

Let's just hope they get it 'under control' before the next sailing.

Lunch onboard a ship with noro is really not something fun at all.

Marie, It is better to be forwarned then to not know about it. But I really wouldn't worry too much. They are very good at sanitizing everything they can between sailing to control this nasty bugger. But just to be on the safe side, even if they have no warnings, when you board, wash your hands every chance you get. Always better to be safe then sorry.

And I hope it is under control by the time you board. At least you aren't on this next sailing, which is a good thing, gives them a few more weeks to get rid of the germs. :( Your daughter can keep you posted as to their progress.

How great, sailing on a ship your daughter works on, your going to have a great time I am sure.

What a disappointment for you. Last year I was able to attend a lunch and tour on the Celebrity Summit. I think some TAs were able to invite so many people, and someone cancelled the week before, and I heard about that on another site and was able to send that TA an email. But it was free, even the lunch. Fortunately, for me, it was a 50 mile drive so all I paid for was gasoline and parking at the port.

Marie, many thanks for your explanation, the ship's staff will have more than enough on their hands when they reach Southampton without having a lunch to serve so I quite understand. I hope the ship gets a clean bill of health before your own cruise on the 22nd.

I see you have sailed on the Sea Princess before as we did in the Caribbean this Spring which was the reason we had arranged this special trip. Hope you and your DH have a great time.

Archived