If You Had To Be Airlifted..How Do You Pay?

GTO-Girl

We always take out travel insurance when we cruise but what if you had to be air-lifted or taken to a hospital what happens then?

Is your travel insurance accepted as payment (if you have one that is considered the primary carrier) or would you have to pay up front, then file your insurance to be reimbursed?

If you have a $20,000 or $30,000 or more bill what do you do? I certainly wouldn't have a credit card with that kind of limit.:eek:

Sorry if this has been covered before....I couldn't find anything

Dianne

My friend had to be airlifted and they took his credit card for a deposit of 2000$ and then he was billed for the other 18,000$:eek: He had insurance so everything was reimbursed including the 200$ deposit. I am not sure if this happens in all circumstances or all evacuations. He was in the Caribbean and was evacuated to Puerto Rico.

I imagine it works kind of like an ambulance or ER, where you probably sign a paper agreeing to be responsible for all charges, but they don't ask for payment prior to providing service. Once the service is provided, they will look to you and your insurance company to pay up.

If the U.S. Coast Guard evacuates you and you are a U.S. Citizen I would imagine that there would be no charge for that portion, or am I wrong? I did not think the Coast Guard charged fees unless they incurred costs due to a prank or some type of malice. Obviously this would not cover fees the hospital you are taken to charges or fees the ship may charge.

My friend had to be airlifted and they took his credit card for a deposit of 2000$ and then he was billed for the other 18,000$:eek: He had insurance so everything was reimbursed including the 200$ deposit. I am not sure if this happens in all circumstances or all evacuations. He was in the Caribbean and was evacuated to Puerto Rico.

$20,000???? I am definitely inspired to ALWAYS have the insurance.

$20,000???? I am definitely inspired to ALWAYS have the insurance.

And it was the first cruise he bought the insurance when I suggested everyone in our group have it. He was the one who gave me the hardest time. After he got all the bills and they were taken care of by the insurance, I got a thank you flower arrangement for talking them into it. :rolleyes:

And it was the first cruise he bought the insurance when I suggested everyone in our group have it. He was the one who gave me the hardest time. After he got all the bills and they were taken care of by the insurance, I got a thank you flower arrangement for talking them into it. :rolleyes:

How come he had to be airlifted?

If the U.S. Coast Guard evacuates you and you are a U.S. Citizen I would imagine that there would be no charge for that portion, or am I wrong? I did not think the Coast Guard charged fees unless they incurred costs due to a prank or some type of malice. Obviously this would not cover fees the hospital you are taken to charges or fees the ship may charge.

USCG does not charge for medical evacuation / rescue. There is no provision to do so in US law (at this time that I know of). In the case of a hoax the case may be taken to federal court and fines/damages will often use cost estimates as a basis if the case is proven.

If you have travel insurance you, or the attending physician, calls the emergency number and everything else will be handled at their end, including pre-paying the cost. In fact, if you do NOT call the emergency services office you risk not getting re-paid at all or having your policy limit greatly reduced.

For example, this if from Access America:

"All medical transportation services must be authorized in advance and organized by the Access America Hotline Center. In the event that the medical transportation services are not authorized in advance and organized by the Access America Hotline Center,We will only pay up to $5,000. "

This is from a Travel Guard plan:

"The Insured Must: Contact AIG Travel Assist (1.800.826.1300 or collect 1.715.345.0505) prior to arranging emergency medical transportation or repatriation of remains. Failure to do so may affect coverage."

This is from an IMG policy:

"We will not pay for any services or Covered Expenses incurred without Our prior consent or approval."

And here's from MH Ross:

"With respect to Emergency Medical Evacuation/Repatriation, all evacuation and medical transportation services must be:

deemed as Medically Necessary by the local Physician, and the travel assistance company's medical director;

authorized by the travel assistance company. A provider designated by the travel assistance company will provide such services;"

So in the case of an evacuation you're expected to call the emergency services number first or have a very good reason why that was not possible.

In the case of actual medical services (doctors, hospitals, etc) whether you have a "primary" or a "secondary" policy you will be expected to pay the bills and be reimbursed when you get back home.

Most, but not all, plans will advance you the money to get admitted or released from a hospital if you have NO other source for the money (credit cards, bank loan, fanily and friends, etc).

Do most regular insurance plans (not ones people buy specifically for the cruise, but just their regular day-to-day plans) not cover you when you are on a cruise ship? I was not aware that my health insurance did not cover emergencies when I am travelling. Guess I better double-check before my next cruise.

Gonzo, it's my understanding that a lot of insurance plans do not cover you outside of the United States.

But please don't take my word for it.....check with your insurance company.

Dianne

Also many plans will cover the medical part but not evacuation part, ask about that with your insurance specifically.

Gonzo, it's my understanding that a lot of insurance plans do not cover you outside of the United States.

But please don't take my word for it.....check with your insurance company.

Dianne

I am on hold with them now!

Phew, fortunately I was covered on my prior cruises, but I guess I should have checked in advance. Just spoke with my insurance company (Blue Cross Blue Shield HMO) and they said that emergencies are covered 100% out of the country. They said I may be asked by the treating facility abroad to pre pay, but that my insurer would reimburse 100% of the expenses once they receive the appropriate medical records if the treatment was indeed deemed an emergency.

Obviously insurance plans vary greatly, so everybody should check out their own plan's coverage for when abroad, but in a lot of cases it may not be necessary to purchase extra insurance as the policy you already have (assuming you are insured at home) may cover you.

I always find it interesting when folks say that their own medical insurance will cover them...that even "out-of-network" they're covered 100%.

Remember...that's ONLY for the medical costs.

You and your companion/family will undoubtedly incur extra non-medical costs relating to an airlift, or medical interruption of your vacation.

Potentially hotel costs, additional transportation costs to get you home from a location that could differ from where you planned to go home from. Your medical insurance doesn't cover this.

This is where the travel insurance can really be a godsend.

I am still trying to decide which company to take out the insurance for our cruise. I read the info on each and get more confused. Any one out there that has used a company that they are very satisfied with? Thanks.

I have used and made a claim with statravel.com and they were great. It is a student travel site but they insure anyone.

I was so happy to see that you posted this question. We just got back from a cruise where a couple told us that they bought insurance with $250,000 pp evacuation coverage. This particular cruise was their 78th and they sounded like they knew what they were talking about. However, if you bumped the coverage up to $250K, the price would be exhorbant it seems. We buy directly through RCI which provides $25,000 pp evacuation coverage. (Once you are over 65, it's hard to find rates competitive with those offered by the cruise ships as the rates are based on cost of the cruise rather than age.) Our insurance company does cover us when we're out of the country but it's been several years since we've doubled checked with them. Good thread!

Fractured right femur on the Millenium 4-5 years ago. My husband and I were airlifted back to Florida with 2 nurses from st. thomas hospital E R

Everything arranged before hand by phone. Never saw a bill and reimbursed for evertthing else.

Thank Goodness for insurance

Phew, fortunately I was covered on my prior cruises, but I guess I should have checked in advance. Just spoke with my insurance company (Blue Cross Blue Shield HMO) and they said that emergencies are covered 100% out of the country. They said I may be asked by the treating facility abroad to pre pay, but that my insurer would reimburse 100% of the expenses once they receive the appropriate medical records if the treatment was indeed deemed an emergency.

Obviously insurance plans vary greatly, so everybody should check out their own plan's coverage for when abroad, but in a lot of cases it may not be necessary to purchase extra insurance as the policy you already have (assuming you are insured at home) may cover you.

We have Blue Cross Blue Shield too. They do not pay for evacuation. They will pay for the medical part.

Archived