What happened to the Titanic?

There was so much hype about this unsinkable ship crossing the Atlantic just a few years ago. After the movie came out on VHS tapes the hype really died down. Any news on that ship? Is it sailing for the White Star Line still?

Any help would be appreciated!

http://www.angryalien.com/0604/titanicbunnies.html

• 3 weeks later...
Is it sailing for the White Star Line still?

There never will be another ship named Titanic despite rumors several years ago. After the disaster, White Star Lines declared bancruptcy. At that point, the company and all it's assets were purchased by Cunard. Subsequently, as most of you know, Cunard was purchased by Carnival Corporation, hence Carnival became the owner of White Star Lines assets which includes the names of the ships. Carnival owns the rights to the ship name Titanic. The Arison family has stated that they will never use that name again.

After the disaster, White Star Lines declared bancruptcy. At that point, the company and all it's assets were purchased by Cunard.
Sorry, but that's incorrect.

White Star continued on after the disaster in 1912, and did not merge with Cunard until 1934. It was the depression, not the TITANIC disaster that did them in. Through the 1950s (or perhaps even early '60s) the company operated as Cunard White Star, and then the White Star name faded away.

You are correct in that Carnival, through Cunard, now own the White Star name... I don't know if they actually own the name TITANIC though as I doubt it was trademarked... Just think of all the books, films, etc. that have used it, no doubt without permission from Cunard.

I don't think there is a trademark on the Titanic name (even if they could obtain trademark protection, I can't imagine a reason for doing so). There is, however, a company named "RMS Titanic, Inc." that claims salvage rights to the wreck. An interesting service mark claimed by Cunard today is "White Star Service" to denote the high quality of dining and service available aboard Cunard ships; historically, before the merger of Cunard and White Star, the White Star Line was known for its service and luxury while Cunard was known for its speed in transporting passengers across the Atlantic, not its luxury (although its ships certainly were comfortable enough).

Well, I was just stating information that I received from Carnival at a seminar of theirs.
No problem. I guess they were giving out incorrect information then!

They may own the name "TITANIC" - they'd know better than I would - but I still doubt it. But it is pure fact that Cunard and White Star did not merge until 1934... And theoretically it was a merger, not a takeover, though culturally Cunard basically took over White Star, no question about that. Notice which name it was that disappeared a couple of decades later ;) .

• 2 weeks later...
After all the movie hype and the newfound interest in cruising, I thought I heard an Italian company was going to make a full-size re-creation of the ship and use it in sailings. Was this just an urban legend?
There many such plans. None were remotely realistic and none ever came to fruition.

• 2 weeks later...
Didn't you read? The ship was raised by some guy named Dirk Pitt who works for some government agency NUMA several years ago. I remember reading about it. The article was written by a guy name Clive Cussler?

Sounded like fiction to me.

HTH.

AC.

I love it - another Dirk Pitt fan.

Don’t you remember, J.P. (Pierpoint) Morgan created International Mercantile Marine (IMM). This giant maritime conglomerate purchased White Star Line, a British Company, then larger than Cunard, which drove the Limeys nuts. They then threw money at Cunard and financed two of the most modern ships in the world, the Lusitanian and the Mauritania. Morgan responded with construction of three “monster” ships, worth millions. The Olympic was the first of the sisters. She was in service for approximately one year before her “almost” identical twin the Titanic entered service. After the disaster in April 1912 the fortunes of IMM turned and it slowly settled into a slow economic decline. In 1927 the Coolidge administration permitted the IMM to sell the White Star Line back to British interests. The Royal Mail Steam Packet Company acquired White Star Line. Later, IMM dissolved. Morgan had died in 1913. By 1934 the world depression resulted in both the White Star Line and Cunard ending up in serious financial difficulties. The Britt government stepped in and subsidized both companies provided that they merge into one. They did. With Cunard holding 62% and White Star 38 % of the shares. For another 13 years the merged companies sailed under double house-flags. In 1947 Cunard purchased the balance of White Star’s shares and liquidated the remainder of the company. So by January 1, 1950 White Star Line ceased as an entity.

I believe you can still see the White Star Line logo when you're on the Hudson River, looking toward Manhattan. I seem to remember it being there during my kayaking trips along the river. Somewhere around Chelsea or Midtown, maybe?

• 2 months later...
I believe you can still see the White Star Line logo when you're on the Hudson River, looking toward Manhattan. I seem to remember it being there during my kayaking trips along the river. Somewhere around Chelsea or Midtown, maybe?

The address for the White Star Line at the time of the sinking was 9 Broadway. The original building is still there, but I don't remember what occupies it. Considering its location, I would think it's something financial.

• 4 months later...

I think the real question is whether the Titanic would come close to any ship today! Titanic was 46,000 tons; Carnival Conquest, the ship for my next cruise, is 110,000 tons. Titanic had no air conditioning; we take air conditioning for granted. Titanic's third class was designed for immigants; today's ships are not designed with such class distinctions in mind. It's hard to compare a 93 year-old vessel to a modern vessel. For 1912, Titanic was a beautiful ship - but I doubt that many of today's cruisers would want to sail in her.

If they made another Titanic, I would be looking for tickets as soon as she set sail! Of course, i've always been interested in her.....

Compared to Royal Caribbean's Voyager Class ships the Titanic may seem like nothing, but she'll always have a special place in some of our hearts.....

So I agree with Kimcruisegirl (if she wasn't joking around) that none compare to the Titanic......only in a certain sense of course....

Mariner here I come! 6/5/05

Archived