Running in Fort Lauderdale

rtroeh

My wife and I are training for our first marathon, and are on a running schedule that we want to stick pretty close to. We will be staying at the Embassy Suites in Ft Lauderdale pre-cruise and are supposed to run 10 miles the day we get on the ship. We would have plenty of time in the morning before we head to the ship but are not familiar with the area. Are there good any good low-traffic places to run near the hotel?

I just spoke with the concierge at the Embassy Suites. It is 2 1/2 miles to the beach with good sidewalks and no stop lights, and then there is a paved walkway along the beach that goes for miles. I can't wait! :)

My wife and I are training for our first marathon, and are on a running schedule that we want to stick pretty close to. We will be staying at the Embassy Suites in Ft Lauderdale pre-cruise and are supposed to run 10 miles the day we get on the ship. We would have plenty of time in the morning before we head to the ship but are not familiar with the area. Are there good any good low-traffic places to run near the hotel?
rtroeh

Just wanted to add my encouragement! I did my first marathon back in May. I entered in the Walkers divison(finished 18th out of 464 walkers with a time of 5:38.19) Doing my second and third less than a month apart with a cruise in between:eek: .

As you can see they are very addicting! Do you have a finishing time in mind

Hopefully, one of these days my knee will allow me to run a marathon.:cool: I often wondered how many other Marathoners were on this board.

Good Luck!!

Thanks, Jeff.

Where was/are your marathons? 5:38 is a very fast walk! I'm not sure my hips could handle that. For me, running is easier than walking that fast.

With this being our first marathon our primary goal is just to finish, running/jogging the whole way. We're doing about 8 minute miles on our shorter runs and 11-12 minute miles on our longer runs. By our marathon in January hopefully we can have that more in the 10 minute range which I guess would translate to about 4:22:00.

We already had our cruises for September and October booked before a friend asked us to join the Team in Training program. We figured what better place to train than Fort Lauderdale and on cruise ships? :D

Rick

Rick

You guys are doing great!! Its amazing what raceday excitement can do for your times! :) Plus having a running partner will help when you hit miles 20-26.2. Yes, with the first one, finishing is the mail goal.

My first marathon was the "Flying Pig" in Cincinnati Ohio, back in May. The next two are also in Ohio...Dayton on Sept 18th and Columbus Oct 17th. Going to try to run a little bit.

Team in Training is such a great program! Not sure if you already know about this site, but they have lots of great info and reviews of all the marathons.

http://www.marathonguide.com/races/racedetails.cfm?MIDD=481050109

From Embassy Suites, go east over the bridge, follow the turn left and head north along A1A... 10 miles is past Sunrise Blvd, Approx 5 blocks or so (I think, it's been a few months - I grew up in FtL and mom still lives there, I'll have her double check and get back w/ you)... there are usually TNT people out on Sat am w/ fluids along the way, so that should be cool for you too! have a great run! (I've done 10 marthons now and love them!)

Great, thanks! Any idea where 5 miles would be? 5 out and 5 back for a 10 mile total. We were just planning on running for two hours and figuring that would be close enough to 10. I may see if I can find the TNT group down there and see if we could meet up with them.

sorry - just past Sunrise Blvd is approx 10 RT. I'm thinking the turnaround is approx 15th st N.

TNT stopped keeping cups at the water/gatorade stops, so carry a bottle if you need fluids (do not underestimate the heat and humidity!) there's also a nice cold water fountain at the main beach area, just after Pier 66 on your right, that's about 2.5 from Embassy suites.

If you have time for a great locals meal - try walking down Cordova Rd (North - cordova is the big stoplight slightly to the right of ES when you're looking out the front of the hotel) about 2 blocks to either Quarterdeck (on your left) or Southport Raw Bar (across the street on your right) they're locals hangouts w/ great food and beverages...nothing fancy - shorts and tees, sit outside in the rocking swing/tables at Q'deck or outside/dockside at SRB.

We're keeping an eye on the weather and hoping and praying for the best for those in the path of Hurricane Frances. Paige, we've noticed that you're on Florida's east coast. We're thinking about you and your family in Ft. Lauderdale.

• 3 weeks later...

We had a fantastic run last Saturday. We started at 6:00 and it was still dark. We made it to the beach in time to see the sun rise, and the weather was perfect. I went ahead and took my Fuel Belt to carry our own water which worked out great. We'll be back in Fort Lauderdale in October, we can't wait to run there again!

Good luck in Baltimore! On 10/16 we'll be running in Fort Lauderdale again, before getting on our next cruise. Now having done it and being familiar with the area, we're looking even more forward to it this time. We can't wait!

Archived