Walk Wellington Tour to Te Papa

Coastaljen

We are booked on Walk Wellington, a $20 walking tour offered by the city. It is at l0 a.m. It starts at the i-SITE Visitor Centre in Civic Square.

I wonder how long it will get from wherever they stop to the Te Papa Museum. They may stop back at where they start. I don't know. I want to book a guided tour at the museum.

pretty sure Walk Wellington ends up over by Parliment Buildings. its only a short 10 minute walk along the waterfront to Te Papa from there. Its a good tour run by the City Council so making $$$ is not the objective. You will at least learn stuff like "the ground you are walking on was the sea bed until we had an earthquake".

If you do not want to walk the City Circular bus ($2NZ) can be caught at many locations and stops @ Te Papa

There are 2 or 3 options @ Te Papa.

We see most people pick up a little walkman for a small deposit @ the info centre. This will guide you around the exhibits. There is also a short cheap tour they run daily.

Introducing Te Papa tour This tour gives you an overview of Te Papa in 60 minutes. Ideal for visitors with limited time or wanting an introduction for an extended visit. Language: English only. Available: 1 November - 31 March, six times a day; 1 April - 31 October, 10.15am and 2.00pm. Booking: on arrival at Te Papa. Cost: adults $10, children (aged 15 and under) $5.
There are other tours available if you can get a group together

http://www.tepapa.govt.nz/TePapa/English/VisitingTePapa/Tours/

for anyone else ... Walk Wellington

http://www.wellingtonnz.com/WalkWellington/

hope that helps

I was looking at the guided tour and Time Warp Travel. ;) However, I was deciding what time I could book it.

At $20 I never thought they were doing it to make money. I cancelled a walking tour with Celebrity to take that one. :-) It looks great, and I love to walk.

One thing that Mipps didn't tell you (and likely wouldn't because it would sound self-serving :) ) is that the people in NZ are so nice and helpful that you will have an especially lovely tour with Walk Wellington. Be sure to tell the tour guide that you wish to walk to Te Papa after the walking tour and you're likely to get detailed directions and whatever information you wish. When we visited Te Papa some years ago, we were quite short on time and did it on our own. It was wonderful even without a tour. We will visit again in February and do a more thorough tour. Clearly a highlight of any stay in Wellington.

I agree that NZers are all very approachable and helpful. If you have a bit of spare time after the walk i recommend jumping on the yellow circle city busses (hop on hop off) and visit the Maratime museum and Parliment house. You can easily spend an hour in the maratime museum, it's wonderful.

The tour of Parliament is very good.When I did it I thought it would be a bit ho hum but it turned out to be a highlight.It only takes an hour and is free.

Here is some info on it.

Visitors Centre

http://www.parliament.nz/en-NZ/Visiting/Centre/b/0/3/b036ff2af1e54e4ab76939f8eb1224e3.htm

Tours

http://www.parliament.nz/en-NZ/Visiting/Tours/e/6/4/e64ba8d72d164c15881b6110d8af0f81.htm

Tour Times

Monday to Friday

First public tour departs 10 a.m. Last public tour departs 4 p.m.

Saturday and public holidays

First public tour departs 10 a.m. Last public tour departs 3 p.m.

Sunday

First public tour departs 12 noon Last public tour departs 3 p.m.

Closed Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year’s Day, 2nd January, Waitangi Day (February 6th), Good Friday.

beehive.jpg

LPBuildings.jpg

We did the introductry tour at the museum. It was excellent. Where does your walking tour take you. Our cab driver gave us a little tour on the wat to Te Papa. When we are in port for only a day we tend to use cabs so as not to waste time.

How much did you spend on taxis and were they easy to find at the port and in town?

We did a walking tour by ourselves in Wellington. The walk from the ship to the centre of town is about 1km. We took the tram to the top of the hill overlooking Wellington, some great views from the top, and wandered around the Botanical Gardens. The paths take you down through more gardens and you end up at the Parliament Buildings. You can then walk from there to the harbour and there are some great walking trails with great views of the harbour and the large museum is on the waterfront trail.

It's very easy to wander around and we didn't pay the $20.

Archived