Port Canaveral Handicap Parking...

dbmiller1956

I just got off the phone with the port operator and am just a little pi**ed.

There are special areas designed for parking for the disabled, however we do not provide free parking unless it is (1) a vehicle with specialized equipment, such as ramps, lifts, or foot or hand controls, for use by a person who has a disability, or (2) a vehicle that is displaying the Florida Toll Exemption permit.

I live in the state of SC and will be cruising out of the port on September 18. I have a handicap license because my dh cannot walk distances. Plus one of the people traveling with us requires oxygen, so any walks over a few feet are out for her also. Even the short distances from the car to bus in warm weather can sometimes be difficult. Once on the ship, she can take her time and judge how she is feeling, but after a ride of about 4 hours, she is not going to be doing so hot. But according to the "nice" lady on the phone, unless I would like to make some modifications to my Blazer, I cannot park in handicap parking. Also I cannot get a Toll exemption sticker because I don't live in Florida.

Now, I have no complaint about paying the $10 a day, so it has nothing to do with money. So paying the fee would be fine, but I cannot park near the terminal, plus she informs me that I cannot drop them off at the terminal when I drop the luggage. Where do the people get dropped off when you arrive by bus or taxi? When leaving from this port before, the shuttle dropped us at the door. Do they not do that anymore?

We have cruised numerous times and have never encountered this kind of treatment before. We have always had handicap parking and help with getting into the terminal. Is there something I am missing here or could someone help me out with this dilemna? Does this just happen at Port Canaveral?

Deena

I just got off the phone with the port operator . . .

. . . plus she informs me that I cannot drop them off at the terminal when I drop the luggage. Where do the people get dropped off when you arrive by bus or taxi? When leaving from this port before, the shuttle dropped us at the door. Do they not do that anymore?

That's odd... We've cruised out of Port Canaveral more than once, and the times we've taken our car (maybe three of those times), we dropped luggage, and all pax but driver at luggage drop, then driver took car to parking and re-joined us.

The luggage drop is maybe 100-150 ft E of Easternmost terminal door. Less if you get the western-most parking space at the drop.

The lady on the phone was mistaken. I drop passengers off at the port all the time (that's my job). Every terminal has an area where passengers and luggage can be dropped off. All of the cruiselines also have wheelchairs available, just ask the porters for one and they'll be happy to get it for you.

Archived