Passports Quandry - WWYD?

Rowan555

Okay, so my family of 4 does not yet have passports, and I'm trying to figure out when to apply for them so that we're not without our birth certificates for an upcoming cruise as we wait for our passports to be delivered.

As of now we have a cruise this December, I'm booking one for January, then we have one in April and one in October.

My plan as of now is to apply for our passports as soon as we get back in April. Do you think we have a good chance of getting our passports before October 4th, 2008 if I apply in April?

I'd like to avoid the expense of purchasing additional copies of our birth certificates, but with this many cruises in a short period of time I'm just not sure it's going to all work out.

My DS applied for his passport July 5 and it came last week - 9-ish weeks start to finish. But....a friend of mine had her adult daughter apply and she got hers back in less than 2 weeks :eek: - with regular processing!!

I am hoping that they are getting faster - across the board - processing the applications. I would go ahead and apply now - you should have them before the December cruise.

We applied for our passports and they came through the New Orleans office. We had them in 7 weeks, this was during the time when they were taking 14-16 weeks. If you apply now you'll have them by December, if you wait who knows - Good Luck

Taking into consideration how frequently you guys are going to be cruising, and yes I'm jealous.....must be nice, how do you manage? Ok, seriously now, as frequently as you guys are gonna be traveling, you may as well go ahead and get copies of the birth certificates, and go ahead and apply now while they seem to be processing faster. If you wait, they'll be another "rush" to get them before the deadline (when they do set it in stone), and you'll be stuck waiting even longer, while still having to get copies of the birth certificates to cruise. Just my opinion, good luck whatever you decide.:)

Okay, so my family of 4 does not yet have passports, and I'm trying to figure out when to apply for them so that we're not without our birth certificates for an upcoming cruise as we wait for our passports to be delivered.

As of now we have a cruise this December, I'm booking one for January, then we have one in April and one in October.

My plan as of now is to apply for our passports as soon as we get back in April. Do you think we have a good chance of getting our passports before October 4th, 2008 if I apply in April?

I'd like to avoid the expense of purchasing additional copies of our birth certificates, but with this many cruises in a short period of time I'm just not sure it's going to all work out.

Why are you waiting? Get them now for the December sailing. The law as it stands now I believe is that you have to have a Passport by the summer of 2008, but that could change. It was January 2008, and it could go back to that date again. I really believe you should get them now, get it over with, then you will have them for your December cruise. If you wait to long, it may cost you that fabulous cruise. It also affects flying too. Just remember the Government can change the dates back and forth at any time.

I read today in the paper that the processing for passports is now back to "normal". I our case "normal" was three weeks--but that was a long time ago (lol). I'd apply for them right now and I think you will have them by December easily. If it looks like you won't have them, then go to Plan B and get copies of your birth certificates but I really don't think you have to worry.

Tucker in Texas

Taking into consideration how frequently you guys are going to be cruising, and yes I'm jealous.....must be nice, how do you manage? Ok, seriously now, as frequently as you guys are gonna be traveling, you may as well go ahead and get copies of the birth certificates, and go ahead and apply now while they seem to be processing faster. If you wait, they'll be another "rush" to get them before the deadline (when they do set it in stone), and you'll be stuck waiting even longer, while still having to get copies of the birth certificates to cruise. Just my opinion, good luck whatever you decide.:)

I agree!! Get another copy of the certified BC's, and apply for those passports NOW, while the waiting time is back to normal. More than likely there will be another mad rush next year just like this year, and when we applied in feb, it took 15 weeks and many phone calls, lots of worrying and praying, to get those passports in-2 days before our trip to Europe!! Don't let anyone tell you to wait, if it were ME, i would do it now, then you don't have to worry about it again for YEARS!!:)

Get spare BCs...

spend the $ for extra BC's and apply now for PP's. With 4 bookings in 13 months I wouldn't worry too much about this minimal cost:rolleyes: .

Or wait until next Spring/Summer when the '08 rush is on and you can stress over the wait.

Get copies today, apply tomorrow. Enjoy.:o

Archived