Recent IPS experiences?

JoAnne B

Just wondering if anybody has had any recent experience shipping with IPS? We have some luggage logistic problems on the upcoming crossing and need to ship my bag(s) ahead. I know some people had bad experiences in the past, and one person on another list had their bags totally lost, which made for a less than perfect cruise. I was happy with them when I shipped a bag home from Monte Carlo, but shpping one over is a different ball game.

Feedback anybody?

JoAnne B

Houston

We used them last November to ship luggage from OKC to Sydney Australia. in this case, we experienced some problems in that they shipped the bags to the wrong port agent. Because we were in port overnight, the ship's staff were able to find the bag and get it to us before we sailed. I don't know what would have happened had we not had the extra day.

We had them ship luggage from DEN to Vancouver and we didn't have any problems, luggage was in our room when we arrived. We also shipped luggage back from the ship in LA and it arrived on time, although one bag was damaged. They very efficiently handled the damage claim however. The contents were not damaged, just the bag.

We are using LuggageFree this time as we used them before without problems. And, they wrap the bags in plastic before shipping.

Joanne - check out First Luggage as well, thats who we will use, since I don't want to deal with the situation in London and end up without any luggage. Also, if you are flying BA on any portion of your trip and book thru the link on ba.com (under information, luggage, unaccompanied luggage) you get a 5% discount. We are shipping to our hotel, per the advise of the very nice lady I emailed with several times.

Thanks. I'll check out luggage free. Not flying BA on this trip, Continental and Lufthansa. I have to go to Innsbruck first, then fly on a puddle jumper to Nice. We're staying one night at the Marriott in Monte Carlo. I wonder if I would be better off having it shipped there.

JoAnne Baer

I checked out Luggage Free as well and its based per pound of your suitcases, whereas First Luggage is a flat rate for a suitcase up to 60lbs, yes thats 60lbs, which of course doesn't work since most airlines have a 50lbs limit, but its the same price. When I calculated from Luggage Free assuming 50 lbs per suitcase, it was much higher, even without the BA discount - so it might be worth looking at and if you email them the lady I worked with was extremely helpful.

But you know you have to find the right situation for you and what you are shipping, so who knows Luggage Free might just be the best for your situation.

Archived