Cruising with an Epi-Pen

Sierra Fox

We have a Southern Caribbean cruise booked for Feb. and my son will have to bring his Epi-Pen.

I have read on the boards that if you are traveling with prescriptions that you need to bring the original prescription and carry it with you. With his Epi's, the prescription is on the box, which he does not carry. He takes the Epi out of the box and sticks it in his pocket.

Will it be necessary for us to carry the whole Epi box with us everywhere we go in the Caribbean or do you think we could just get away with cutting the prescription off the box and carrying that with us? I can leave the prescription on the box and flatten out the box for carrying if I have to but I rather not if it's not necessary. - SF

We have a Southern Caribbean cruise booked for Feb. and my son will have to bring his Epi-Pen.

I have read on the boards that if you are traveling with prescriptions that you need to bring the original prescription and carry it with you. With his Epi's, the prescription is on the box, which he does not carry. He takes the Epi out of the box and sticks it in his pocket.

Will it be necessary for us to carry the whole Epi box with us everywhere we go in the Caribbean or do you think we could just get away with cutting the prescription off the box and carrying that with us? I can leave the prescription on the box and flatten out the box for carrying if I have to but I rather not if it's not necessary. - SF

I carried my Epi-Pen on our last cruise with no problem (in the tube, not the box). However, I did have a note from my doc explaining that I was carrying a medical syringe. I'm sure you'll be fine cutting the prescription off the box – Epi-Pens are quite common these days.

_____

LidoLiz

I never leave home especially to the Caribbean without my pen, in the 6 cruises I've taken its never entered my mind to take the box and I've never been asked about it. I have severe acute asthma, I take my Epi-pen, 4 Combi-vent inhalers, a package of prednisone and a full cycle of antibiotics. I used to take my nebulizer but its just not necessary anymore. I HIGHLY recommend taking a full cycle of antibiotics and the prednisone, in the event your son becomes ill the meds should be enough to get him back to the states where he then can get medical attention. The inside of my carry-on looks like a pharmacy wherever I go, its never been a problem. Plus I keep EVERY phone# to all my MD's who've written me scripts, so IF there is a problem TSA or whoever whatever can call them directly and resolve it. Hope that helps Todd

I never carry the box with me; I've never been asked about my Epi-pen on a cruise, or on shore.

I've only been asked about it twice when flying. Once, the TSA said, "What's that?" "An Epi-pen" I repled. "Oh, a marker" she said. Oh, don't these people make you feel safe?

The other time, the TSA was reluctant to let me on the plane with the Epi-pen, even with the armed military person working with her saying it was OK. Since then I've brought a letter from my allergist explaining why I need it.

I always carry just the pen with a cut out of the label off the box. However, I've never been questioned let alone asked to produce proof going through the airport or for the cruise ship. Funny, the only place I've ever had a problem (though slight each time) was once entering the main police building in Los Angeles. Same as above, one guard didn't know what it was, the other kept saying, its fine, let her go. The other was during jury duty they questioned what it was, I told them, they let me go. Never had to show the prescription.

Thank you everyone for your replies. We've only run into a problem with him carrying it with him one time while trying to go to a concert. They knew what the Epi-Pen was and what it was used for, but they decided that it could possibly be used as a weapon against someone else and they were not going to let us in. As it was an outdoor concert and there were yellow-jackets everywhere, I refused to get out of line until someone with more authority came down and eventually let us in and then I think it was only because we were holding up the rest of the line.

After reading everyone's responses, I doubt we'll have any issues on the cruise. Thanks a bunch everyone and have have a great day! - SF

Hi-

I also carry an epi pen in the box with label on cruises. I have one for food allergies. My doctor told me I need to get to a hospital after using it.

Do you all have the same instructions?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Yes. You should go to an emergency room or seek medical attention. You need to be monitored for the next 48 hours.

Here's info from the Epi Pen site:

It is important that you call 911 or have someone take you to the emergency room because the effects of epinephrine can wear off and there is a chance of a second reaction. You should also stay within close proximity to a hospital or where you can easily call 911 for the next 48 hours.

_

As a pharmacist I would simply suggest that you call the pharmacy where you filled the Epi-pen and have them print out an extra label. This way you can attach it to the actual device. This is what we do for items like Epi-pens and Inhalers that need to be brought to school and summer camps.

I never carry the box with me; I've never been asked about my Epi-pen on a cruise, or on shore.

I've only been asked about it twice when flying. Once, the TSA said, "What's that?" "An Epi-pen" I repled. "Oh, a marker" she said. Oh, don't these people make you feel safe?

The other time, the TSA was reluctant to let me on the plane with the Epi-pen, even with the armed military person working with her saying it was OK. Since then I've brought a letter from my allergist explaining why I need it.

I had the misfortune of flying the morning of the London liquid bomb scare, and the TSA made me throw away an Rx inhaler because I didn't have the original prescription label on it. Lesson learned: I cut the label off the box and have it with me, but it was a $45 lesson.

I simply flatten the box and place at bottom of my purse. I would not hesitate to cut out label from box if easier. With proper ID as we all have to carry these days its easy to identify to whom it belongs.

Have a wonderful cruise.

I had the misfortune of flying the morning of the London liquid bomb scare, and the TSA made me throw away an Rx inhaler because I didn't have the original prescription label on it. Lesson learned: I cut the label off the box and have it with me, but it was a $45 lesson.

Thats astonishing, I've been flying with inhalers(multiple) every different kind for YEARS(Albuterol-Proventil, Atrovent, Combi-vent) you name and it never entered my mind that it would ever be an issue and I never had one in the "box". To say that I take the previous post with a grain of salt is being nice. Amazing. Oh well this is still the internet, I do have to remember that.

As a pharmacist I would simply suggest that you call the pharmacy where you filled the Epi-pen and have them print out an extra label. This way you can attach it to the actual device. This is what we do for items like Epi-pens and Inhalers that need to be brought to school and summer camps.

That's what my pharmacist does. She tapes the label to the actual EpiPen plastic (tubular) case. I've never been questioned, but feel better having the prescription label attached.

--Junglejane

Thats astonishing, I've been flying with inhalers(multiple) every different kind for YEARS(Albuterol-Proventil, Atrovent, Combi-vent) you name and it never entered my mind that it would ever be an issue and I never had one in the "box". To say that I take the previous post with a grain of salt is being nice. Amazing. Oh well this is still the internet, I do have to remember that.

I'm not sure why you're so skeptical -- I posted about having my inhaler tossed at LAX right after it happened. USA Today even noted the requirement in their travel column on 8/16/2006:

Q: Are there any exceptions to the new rules in the USA?

A: A few. You can still bring baby formula, breast milk or juice if you're traveling with a child;
prescription
drugs
if your name is on the bottle
; low blood sugar treatments including glucose gel for diabetics, and up to four ounces pf
liquid
non-
prescription
medicine such as cough syrup, eye drops, and saline solution.

The rules have now been relaxed by TSA, probably because a whole lot of folks ran into this problem and wrote letters because we didn't understand why under 3 oz. of OTC liquid drugs were allowed through with no problems while an inhaler containing less than an ounce of prescription medication was tossed.

Yes, but were you flying on the day described in that post you are taking "with a grain of salt?" My daughter and my husband were, and it would be an understatement to say that authorities were extremely shaken that day and the airports experienced TREMENDOUS delays and chaos over the newly exposed plot that morning. His post is accurate.

Archived