Small boat sailing in Cozumel

sailandcruise

I'm planning to be in Cozumel in November and would like to go to a beach club or all inclusive resort that has small sailboats (e.g., sunfish, hobie cats, etc.) available. Playa Mia is the only one I've found that lists any of these (hobie cats) on its web site. Does anyone know if other beach clubs have small sailboats available? How many does Playa Mia have? Are there enough for everyone who wants to use them? (I'll be in Cozumel on a crowded day with at least five ships, more than originally scheduled due to the re-routing from Costa Maya.) Should I take a taxi to the club/AI resort and try to arrive before the buses from the ships?

• 3 weeks later...

I emailed them a week ago (9/30) and asked specifically about hobie cat availability. I have not received any response and it's been almost a week. Has anyone else tried to get more information by email from Playa Mia about this or any other topic? How long did it take for them to respond? Thanks.

• 1 month later...
I'm planning to be in Cozumel in November and would like to go to a beach club or all inclusive resort that has small sailboats (e.g., sunfish, hobie cats, etc.) available. Playa Mia is the only one I've found that lists any of these (hobie cats) on its web site. Does anyone know if other beach clubs have small sailboats available? How many does Playa Mia have? Are there enough for everyone who wants to use them? (I'll be in Cozumel on a crowded day with at least five ships, more than originally scheduled due to the re-routing from Costa Maya.) Should I take a taxi to the club/AI resort and try to arrive before the buses from the ships?

Hi There. I have been logging in to your post for weeks now just hoping someone has an answer for you ........ (and me) We are going to be in Playa Mia around Christmas time and sailing a Hobie Cat or similar around the tropical waters would be my idea of the perfect day. If you have found your answer elsewhere can you post the information here? I will continue my search as well. Thanks.

I haven't gotten an answer from Playa Mia or anyone else. I'm planning to try to get off the ship as early as possible and take a taxi to Playa Mia to beat the bus tours and be the first one to use the hobie cat that day. If I get a chance to sail again later during the day that would be great, and if not I'll take advantage of the other facilities there. I'll let you know how it works out when I return.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from the cruise.

There were 3 other ships in Cozumel with us on November 20. We shared the Punta Langosta pier with the Carnival Victory. It was on the interior side of the pier closer to the shore and the Jewel was on the outside. Royal Caribbean's Navigator of the Seas and Radiance of the Seas were at the International Pier.

The ship's tour to Playa Mia had an 8:30 am meeting time, so we disembarked at 8:15 am and got a taxi to Playa Mia for $15. The taxi driver was careful to explain the three packages offered by Playa Mia to us. When we arrived he got out and told the gate agent which one (the all-inclusive "premium") we had selected. They charged us $46 per person instead of the posted $49; I'm not sure why but I didn't argue.

We were among the first guests there. They were still setting up some of the beach chairs but the bars were open and the water sports staff was checking out kayaks and pedal boats. There were two hobie cats on the beach, one rigged and the other without a sail. We requested the hobie and were asked to wait for about 10 minutes. We signed the waiver form -- the same one for all the watersports -- and an another watersports attendant arrived to help us launch the boat. We were instructed to stay out of the swim area and to go no farther north or out into the channel than a large white buoy and no farther south than the Playa Mia pier. We were also asked if we knew how to sail -- apparently many people who've never sailed before take out these craft. (Lumping the hobies in with the free "water toys" probably encourages people to view them as something they can do with no experience, although if Playa Mia didn't put the hobies in this category they might end up charging extra for them, which I would obviously not prefer.) We sailed out and then paralleled the beach on a reach back-and-forth several times -- probably exceeding their boundaries in all three directions -- until we decided to return after about an hour or so. By then the cruise tour busses had arrived, but there was no one waiting for the hobie.

While we were out we noticed another hobie cat that appeared to be from the beach immediately north of Playa Mia, which is Paradise Beach, although it may have come from the one north of that, Playa San Francisco. Neither of these two beaches mentions hobies on their website. I asked the watersports attendant at Playa Mia where the other hobie came from, and he smilingly replied, "the enemy." He then told me which one, and I think it was Paradise Beach, but am not 100% sure.

We took the hobie out again in the middle of the day for about 45 minutes. Just as we were starting to return to the beach, the staff came out in the motorboat to ask us to come back because another guest wanted to use the hobie. They never did rig the second one, though; the one craft seemed to be enough for the demand.

We remained at Playa Mia until about 2:30 pm, after some of the cruise ship tour busses had departed (including the one for our ship, but not for the ships that were departing later) and the "crowds" had thinned out.

Our total cost was $46 per person admission, plus $15 (plus tip) each way for the taxi, or $61 per person overall. This compares with $56 for the NCL tour that was 5 hours including travel time; we got 6 1/2 hours total, and the difference was worth it.

Chairs were hard white plastic, right on the sand. The staff would wipe them off before you needed one. Somewhat difficult to get up from, especially after many drinks. ;) I found myself preferring to stand to watch activities such as beach volleyball than to use the chairs. But Playa Mia is a place for those who are active, not those who lie around in the chairs that much anyway. The sitting chairs in the restaurant areas were fine.

The Wyndham AI has Hobie Cats. I have been looking for Hobies as well. The Wyndham will be more private. Here is the info on the Wyndham

PLEASE NOTE: This is not a confirmation, it is an availability reply.

Greetings from Cozumel Cruise Excursions,

(This package includes the use of hobie cats)

Thank you for your interest in our Cozumel All Inclusive Resort Day Pass. We currently show availability for the date you have requested. This is the perfect way to spend your day in Cozumel, enjoying all the wonderful services and amenities of this four star All Inclusive Resort.

Our All Inclusive Beach Resort is located along a stretch of Cozumel's most beautiful beach and is open daily from 9am-5pm.

The name of the resort is the Wyndham Cozumel Resort and Spa (formerly the Reef Club in Cozumel), and is a wonderful full service all inclusive resort. We do not advertise this on our site because we do not want any confusion with guests showing up without reservations because space for this program is limited and based on our current sales, many dates will be sold out weeks in advance.

We limit the numbers to ensure cofort for both our cruise ship clients and the in-house resort guests:)

The facilities include a spectacular beach, 3 spacious swimming pools, a beautiful palapa restaurant for an all you can eat buffet lunch, comfortable beach chairs, beach palapas, bathrooms and outdoor showers, use of non motorized water sports, a free open bar, pool chairs, daily activities, kids club and much more.

Enjoy all the services of a full service 4 Star All Inclusive resort. Your non motorized water sports include kayaks, Hobie Cats and snorkeling gear and is subject to availability.

Your All Inclusive Resort Day pass includes an open bar with unlimited domestic drinks that include: Pina Coladas, Rum Punch, Margaritas, Sex on the Beach, Daiquiris, Draft Beer, Soda's, Juices, Bottled Water, and other tasty concoctions. Soft drinks in glass (Jet Spray) Coke, Fanta, Sprite and Purified Bottled Water are also available.

For lunch you can enjoy a full lunch buffet in our main restaurant with a variety of soups, salads, numerous main dishes and fabulous desserts. Our Beach Bar BBQ is also available for burgers, hot dogs, pizza, rotisserie chicken and more. The food is excellent and the variety is incredible.

Please note that at the time of securing your day pass you can add a one tank scuba diving trip which goes out daily at 1pm. The cost of the 1 tank Dive is $45usd, but does not included equipment. Beginners who would like to try Scuba Diving can participate in a Discover Diving Class that starts at 10am daily and costs $79usd with all equipment included. We also offer a special 2 hour Snorkeling trip to the amazing Palancar Reef that departs daily by boat at 1pm. The cost of the Snorkeling trip is $45usd/ person and includes snorkeling gear, beverages and 2 - 30 minute snorkeling stops. You can also pre-book a relaxing treatment at our Reef Club Spa. You can select from 30 minute massages to special 90 minute sessions. You can do as much or as little as you like and that is part of the allure of this popular all inclusive day pass.

For the comfort of the resort guests and our valued clients we have limited the sale of our Day Pass Special Package to a maximum of 40 guests per day ensuring comfort and enjoyment for everyone.

This exclusive All Inclusive Resort Day Pass is priced incredibly at an Introductory special of $40usd/Adult and $20usd for kids 4 years to 17 years. Note to parents: the drinking age in Mexico is 18 years and is strictly enforced.

Our Cozumel All Inclusive Resort Day Pass cannot be booked through your cruise ship and is booked online and in advance through our reservations system.

Our special beach break allows you to get away from the long lines, packed buses and over crowded beaches associated with Cruise Ship organized beach clubs excursions.

The club is located approximately 10 miles from your cruise ship pier and is a short 15 minute taxi ride. Due to port regulations and agreements with taxi unions we cannot provide transportation for you. You can easily arrange a taxi from your terminal for under $15 for up to 4 people. Vans can be arranged for larger groups.

Due to this excursion's popularity and limited availability, please be sure to reserve your space on this excursion ASAP. We expect that this exclusive offer will be sold out weeks in advance.

To confirm your reservation please follow the link below to our SSL secure/encrypted reservation page. A $10usd/ adult and $5usd/ child Deposit is required in order to secure your reservation (fully refunded in the event your Ship does not make it into port. Please refer to our Terms of Reservation by visiting our website http://cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/Terms.htm ) The balance is due at time of excursion in cash or traveler check only.

https://www.cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/AllInclusiveSecureReservation.htm

Please note, the secure link above has been tested and is in full working order. There are certain email servers that will change our HTML format and in doing so split the last letters from this link making it appear in error when you try it. To repair this problem simply ensure that the last letters of this link including the .htm is attached to the end of this link. (For example the last letters should state reservation.htm) If you continue to have problems please advise us or go to our LIVE HELP and we will direct you promptly from there.

We pride ourselves on providing prompt and professional services to our valued clients. If you have any additional questions, please email us or go to our LIVE HELP on our site and you may speak directly with one of our experienced agents who will give your excellent information and assistance with your reservation.

Following receipt of your secure reservation, a confirmation email will be sent to you with specific meeting and payment details and other information regarding your trip.

We appreciate your enquiry and look forward to securing a wonderful excursion for you.

Katie Tompkins

Reservations Department

Island Marketing Ltd.

http://www.cozumelcruiseexcursions.com

http://www.grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com

http://www.costamayacruiseexcursions.com

http://www.belizecruiseexcursions.com

http://jamaicacruiseexcursions.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: webuser@cozumelcruiseexcursions.com [mailto:webuser@cozumelcruiseexcursions.

• 8 years later...

I know this thread is really old but I have the same question and looking for an update. Would really like to go to a beach break with hobiecat sailing. I know Playa Mia has them, I was wondering what other beach resorts have boats included in the AI package. Any information would be much appreciated. Thank you!

I know this thread is really old but I have the same question and looking for an update. Would really like to go to a beach break with hobiecat sailing. I know Playa Mia has them, I was wondering what other beach resorts have boats included in the AI package. Any information would be much appreciated. Thank you!

We are going to be in Cozumel in a couple of weeks on the FOS and we found that you can find info on resortforaday. We are going to the Occidental AI resort and plan to use their hobie cats while we are there. Other AI resorts may also offer them. In Falmouth, we are going to the Jewel Beach and they have hobie cats included also.

Hope this info helps!

And....happy cruising!