From LGA (N.Y) to the port of Manhattan

smac88

I need help regarding transportation please:

1. What is the most economical and efficient way to get to LGA airport at Ner York from the MANHATTAN CRUISE TERMINAL? What about from the airport to the terminal?

2. Is there a car rental company near the terminal that will offer pick up service?

Thanks.

Smac

The ONLY way, especially if you have luggage, is to take a cab/car service. IF NCL has a transport bus you can take that. If it's the weekend and there's no ball game traffic at Shea or Yankee Stadiums, it might be quickest to come over the Grand Central then down the West Side, but sometimes on a Saturday, you can come down the East Side and cut across. But don't count on it.

It's actually far easier to come into Newark Airport and take a limo/cab from there to the port. Traffic is much more manageable. We live in NJ and find the trip from our house to the port to be pretty darn painless! You won't believe how long it takes to get places in NYC, especially Manhattan, though the weekends are usually far better.

1. What is the most economical and efficient way to get to LGA airport at Ner York from the MANHATTAN CRUISE TERMINAL? What about from the airport to the terminal?

2. Is there a car rental company near the terminal that will offer pick up service?

Thanks.

Smac

1. a. the least expensive way is to get a metro card (for at least $4.00) and take the city bus to the subway and get on the E train to 50th street and eight avenue and then change for the west bound bus on 49th street. Its $2.00 per person the transfers to and from the bus are free with a metrocard but not a single use ticket and will take about an hour. I wouldn't do this with luggage.

b. a taxi will be about $35.00 including tip for the cab (which can comfortably hold 3) It will take about 40 minutes for a cab driver who knows what he is doing(21st avenue to the 59th street bridge across to the west side- no tolls this way and this is the most direct but not necessarily the fastest way..this way is not effected by Shea or Yankee stadiumtraffic-

c. note A taxi from Newark is at least $60 and will take the same 45 minutes or more depending on what is happening at the NJ tunnels.

d. http://www.Supershuttle.com runs shared service from LGA to the pier for about $ 15-20.00 per person but some have complained about the service.

The same services can get you back to the airport from the cruise terminal.

2. Avis has locations a few blocks from the terminal at hotels. You need to call them to see if they pick up.

Noticed the reference to cabs are comfortable for 3, will they accept 4 passengers together?

yes they are licensed for 4 or 5 but with cruise luggage its a tight fit. If you pre-reserve a limo it won't cost much more and with a larger car you can do 4 comfortably with cruise luggage- http://www.carmellimo.com where it says save $$$ click that and there are coupons :)

Thanks for replying. Two more questions please:

1. If I go to the Manhatten Terminal from the LGA airport in Saturday morning at around 10:00 am, will that be affected by the "Shea or Yankee stadiumtraffic"? Coz in Toronto usually there are no games in the morning.

When we disembark on Saturday morning, we are planning to take a taxi from the terminal to a hotel near LGA so that we can leave all the luggage there. We still have the whole day to tour around the city as we will be leaving for Toronto from LGA on Sunday morning.

2. With only only basically one afternoon, where I should take my kids (8, 11) to? We won't have a car so we have to count on public transportation.

3. Should we rent a car from the port? Are there any car rental offices near the port?

Thanks.

Smac88

Thanks for replying. Two more questions please:

1. If I go to the Manhatten Terminal from the LGA airport in Saturday morning at around 10:00 am, will that be affected by the "Shea or Yankee stadiumtraffic"? Coz in Toronto usually there are no games in the morning.

When we disembark on Saturday morning, we are planning to take a taxi from the terminal to a hotel near LGA so that we can leave all the luggage there. We still have the whole day to tour around the city as we will be leaving for Toronto from LGA on Sunday morning.

2. With only only basically one afternoon, where I should take my kids (8, 11) to? We won't have a car so we have to count on public transportation.

3. Should we rent a car from the port? Are there any car rental offices near the port?

Thanks.

Smac88

1. No the person who posted this originally doesn't have a clue(I am being nice). Even if there is a game it shouldn't be a problem and you are going opposite to the way the traffic would go to either game anyhow

2. without luggage NY is easy to get around and faster by subway. take them down to ground zero. Tye Empire State Building or just go to Times square-if you haven't been to NY before this will be more than enough...

3. Why are you renting a car? There are none at the port as I said all the majors have them a few blocks away. If you need it from the Port to get somewhere have you kids and spouse stay with the luggage you go get the car and come back for them---or leave them if its been a bad week(just kidding). Avis and Hertz have Manhattan locations....just check when they are open when you reserve.

• 3 weeks later...

What I learned about sight seeing and only 1 day.

In June, we flew into LGA and stayed at the Crowne Plaza right near the airport. They had a free shuttle, very nice hotel, expensive food but..... It seemed to take forever to get back into the city. We got the metro card that took us on a bus trip to the train stations. It took us an hour to get each way as it was Sunday and apparently there were no express trains. Not feeling very confident about the bus/trains, we only spent a bit of time around Times Square and Grand Central Station.

Knowing what I know now. I've found a cheap, nice but very small hotel right near the Manhattan port (about 3/4 of a mile away) and it is right in the middle of everything. It is the Econo Lodge. It is under $200 per night, but with a personal alumni membership, it is $160 per night. VERY SMALL. Doesn't matter to us since we want to sight see this time and don't want to spend time traveling on buses/trains.

We plan on taking a double decker tour bus to see the sights as it is a hop on/hop off deal with a variety of spots. I know it sounds cheesy, but I don't care. I would rather see the sights from the top of a bus, than try to wander all over the place. We were so OVERWHELMED with the number of people that we couldn't think straight.

We did get to go to the giant Lego store, it was pretty cool!

Thanks.

Smac

The best way to go from LGA to the Manhattan cruise terminal for more than one person is by cab. In my experience, we've fit four people with a lot of luggage in a cab. Those cabbies have huge trunks. While we had to hold some smaller bags, the cab driver fit four large suitcases in the trunk.

Shuttles are horrible, take forever, and by the time you pay for two people, you are at what a cab would cost.

Subway can be fastest but if you aren't familiar with the subway system and have luggage, forget this option.

Absolutely forget a rental car.

In September we flew into LGA on a Friday. We hired a car services to take 4 of us with 5 suitcases and 2 carry-ons from LGA to Hotel St. James which is just a couple blocks from Times Square. I think we paid $90 but at the time it was worth it. It was EXTREMELY fast and easy. We were out of the airport about 15 minutes after we landed.

The Hotel St. James was $165/night. It is an old hotel. Nothing fancy but a clean comfortable place to sleep and shower. We were much more interested in sight seeing and this hotel is SO VERY convenient. A deli next door has great breakfasts at a very reasonable price.

We used New York Party Shuttle Tours and took their 5 1/2 hour tour of NYC. It was the best way to see a little of everything in the very short time we had in New York. The guide gets off the bus with you, walks you around and you really learn a lot. They used a 30-passenger bus and it was a nice size group.

We took a cab from there to the ship and it only cost around $15. When we got back off the ship we walked out to the street and there were dispatchers there helping you get a cab. We told them we needed a mini-van cab and they hailed one over to us in just a few minutes. The trip back to LGA cost around $35. We were at the airport early enough that we caught an earlier flight back home.

Archived