Children allowed in Pinnacle Grill?

AnneBonney

We've only ever done the Disney Cruise where the "pay" restaurant was adults only. Are children (and of course by this I mean polite, well mannered, know how to use a knife and fork properly, elegantly dressed, and ever so quiet children) allowed in the Pinnacle Grill?

Thanks!

Before my last HAL cruise on the Oosterdam, it was my understanding that children under a certain age were not allowed in the Pinnacle Grill (and I agree). However, when we had our experience in the grill, there were two children around 8 -10 that were dining with their parents. They were very well behaved and we didn't have a problem with them being there. Had the children been babies or toddlers and made a fusss, I would have been upset that I had paid extra. ;)

Sometimes, babies make less noise, "trouble" than toddlers. I can't imagine a toddler being able to co operate for the amount of time it takes to dine there. You have to know your 8 to 10 year old child. Would you take them to a very elegant restaurant? If they would behave there, chances are they would be OK in the Pinnacle. But, what would they eat? No mac and cheese or hamburgers there, I don't think!

My son was with us at the Pinnacle on our last two HAL cruises. He had the petit filet and the tri-color creme brulee. As long as you tell your child there will be no mozzarella sticks, chicken fingers etc. and that you expect him to behave like a gentleman, it should be OK.

Don't know whether it still is in effect, but they used to restrict children under 13, I believe to the seatings prior to 7pm, but the so-called rules seem to be applied differently from one ship to another and depending on the passenger adult/child mix. The only way you will know for certain is by checking with the maitre 'd in the PG when you are on board:)

I agree with Barbara. Not sure of the ages of your child/children, but the dinner is a very nice longer meal than in the main dining areas. When we dined in the Pinnacle Grill on the Zuiderdam a couple summers ago there was a family of about fourteen dining beside us. It was Grandma, Grandpa, daughters and spouses and the rest children ranging from toddler to about ten years. It appeared that they were having a birthday celebration. The toddler was wonderful, she sat with her mom and dad and eventually fell asleep. The older kids took off their shoes and ran around the chairs playing tag. We were really surprised because not a soul said a word to them. Their grandparents and parents just kept talking and drinking wine. We felt so sorry for the servers because they had to dodge kids the entire time. I am sure that this is not the norm. Each time that we have either eaten in the Pinnacle or walked past it since that time, the atmosphere was very quiet and nice.

I wonder if this may be a little too much for kids. The dishes are not the usual kid's dishes and the atmosphere is quiet and very nice. Only you can really decide if your child would feel comfortable in that situation.

The Pinnacle though, is absolutely wonderful!

Linda

I agree with Barbara. Not sure of the ages of your child/children, but the dinner is a very nice longer meal than in the main dining areas. When we dined in the Pinnacle Grill on the Zuiderdam a couple summers ago there was a family of about fourteen dining beside us. It was Grandma, Grandpa, daughters and spouses and the rest children ranging from toddler to about ten years. It appeared that they were having a birthday celebration. The toddler was wonderful, she sat with her mom and dad and eventually fell asleep. The older kids took off their shoes and ran around the chairs playing tag. We were really surprised because not a soul said a word to them. Their grandparents and parents just kept talking and drinking wine. We felt so sorry for the servers because they had to dodge kids the entire time. I am sure that this is not the norm. Each time that we have either eaten in the Pinnacle or walked past it since that time, the atmosphere was very quiet and nice.

I wonder if this may be a little too much for kids. The dishes are not the usual kid's dishes and the atmosphere is quiet and very nice. Only you can really decide if your child would feel comfortable in that situation.

The Pinnacle though, is absolutely wonderful!

Linda

At this point I'm really just in preliminary planning for the trip and was really more curious as to whether kids were allowed. I don't know if we will take our girls (who are 5 &10) with us if we do PG but do know that they are used to long meals at "grown up" restaurants and know how to behave there, even when no chicken fingers are offered ;) . We've made a point since they were very little of taking them to nice restaurants and they know what is expected at such restaurants. They also learned at a very young age that if they did not behave they would be whisked out of the restaurant very very quickly, even if they hadn't had dessert yet!

behave they would be whisked out of the restaurant very very quickly, even if they hadn't had dessert yet!

When I was little (40+ years ago) my parents threatened to lock me in the car. Needless to say, I behaved because there was no way I was sitting in the car while they got to eat all that great food!

I turned out normal. :D

I'm often surprised by how many parents ignore their kids. It's really sad. Our family can't go to nice places with my brother and his son because he's so bad. :(

Dede....this is so true....we have been to many nice restaurants in our area, the parents just seem oblivious to the fact that their children are running about, misbehaving, they just ignore them. I also see it in stores, where the children are running wild, the parents let them do as they please. If parents teach their children correctly, I don't see why they cannot eat in the Pinnacle. I love kids, but I find it extremely disturbing to dine with them.....when they act like animals.....& I blame the parents....when our children were little, I educated them correctly how to behave in public places.

Lynne:)

We've made a point since they were very little of taking them to nice restaurants and they know what is expected at such restaurants. They also learned at a very young age that if they did not behave they would be whisked out of the restaurant very very quickly, even if they hadn't had dessert yet!

:D This reminds me of a story.

When my children were little, we would eat with my husbands mother at a restaurant about once a week. My children always wanted to know about dessert because they typically didn't get any at home. I would tell the children that if they ate their dinner, they could get dessert. They would then whine and squirm, making it difficult to carry on a conversation. This went on for every meal!

Finally, my MIL said "why don't you let them have their dessert first?" Well, I was not about to argue with her, so we let the children have their dessert before dinner. It worked! :eek: Once they had their dessert, they calmed down, ate their meal and were a delight!

Archived