Descent Hotels Close to Port of LA

tapia

Hi all. I've been lurking on this board and the Hawaii board for a while. Just a quick question to make sure I'm reading the previous posts correctly.

From what I gather, Celebrity (to Hawaii) leaves from the Port of LA. Then, from what I gather the best place to stay is the Crowne Plaza.

Is that a good place to stay? At this point, I'm flying in to get there just after dinner time one day and our cruise leaves the very next day. So, while I'd love to see some of LA the next morning, it probably won't happen unless it's close to the pier or by a place where I can do some kind of wine tasting.....

Also, I do have Marriott points, but I wouldn't stay there unless it works out to be the same quality stay between there & what I'm finding.

Any advice? Am I overlooking somewhere neat to stay for 1 night to do something in the morning / early afternoon?

Thank you in advance!

You could consider staying in Long Beach instead, and going to the Aquarium of the Pacific in the AM before taking a cab to San Pedro and the port. Alternatively, you could stay in San Pedro and visit either the Cabrillo Museum (whales, etc.) or the LA Maritime Museum (ships, models, history of seafaring, etc.) before going to the pier.

You could consider staying in Long Beach instead, and going to the Aquarium of the Pacific in the AM before taking a cab to San Pedro and the port. Alternatively, you could stay in San Pedro and visit either the Cabrillo Museum (whales, etc.) or the LA Maritime Museum (ships, models, history of seafaring, etc.) before going to the pier.

I've never been to LA before. Would the Long Beach Marriott work? But, then how long of a ride is that to the port with traffic?

Are there any wineries close by?

I always sail out of San Pedro and almost always stay in Long Beach. I like to start my cruise off with a nice hotel near restaruants etc. I think that the Rennaissance LB is a Marriot brand and that is right downtown. I think the LB Marriot is out near the airport so look at downtown Long Beach for hotels. (Westin, Rennaissance, Hyatt...and a Hilton) I like the Hyatt's location but the Westin was really nice too.

I second Splinter's recommended aquarium visit.

I waited too long this year and just booked my Long Beach stay this weekend and the prices were more than previous years.:rolleyes: I ended up at the Hyatt Regency (nice location) for $180 total. My priceline bids failed and I found that rate at skoosh.com. I think I paid $110 last October for LB hotels.

If you do decide on San Pedro I saw that the Crowne had a $75 advance purchase price and the DoubleTree was about $100-125ish.

I always sail out of San Pedro and almost always stay in Long Beach. I like to start my cruise off with a nice hotel near restaruants etc. I think that the Rennaissance LB is a Marriot brand and that is right downtown. I think the LB Marriot is out near the airport so look at downtown Long Beach for hotels. (Westin, Rennaissance, Hyatt...and a Hilton) I like the Hyatt's location but the Westin was really nice too.

I second Splinter's recommended aquarium visit.

I waited too long this year and just booked my Long Beach stay this weekend and the prices were more than previous years.:rolleyes: I ended up at the Hyatt Regency (nice location) for $180 total. My priceline bids failed and I found that rate at skoosh.com. I think I paid $110 last October for LB hotels.

If you do decide on San Pedro I saw that the Crowne had a $75 advance purchase price and the DoubleTree was about $100-125ish.

What kind of place is that aquarium? Recently, I was in Vancouver and went to their aquarium and that was wonderful. I'm not sure we'd want to do that again if it isn't a bigger place. Thank you SO much for the rate information on the Hyatt, I really appreciate it. That may be exactly what I will do. Where did you see the Crowne price? Same place?

How far is it from the Hyatt to the aquarium? How far is it from the Hyatt to the pier with traffic / such (I'm sure there will be some.).

Thank you!

DH & I are sailing out of San Pedro on NCL Star to Mex. Riviera a week from Saturday. We managed to nab a great airfare into Long Beach and decided to spend one night pre-cruise at the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro and then spend one night post cruise at the Renaissance in LB.

We booked our Renaissance stay with our Marriott points and will pay for our CP stay in San Pedro to add on to our existing Priorty Club points to allow us a free Crowne Plaza stay for another cruise.

We're hoping to see the best of both cities this way.

Dianne

I saw the Crowne San Pedro price on their own website.

The pier is about a 10 minute or so cab ride.

I, too have been to the Vancouver Aquarium but honestly I can't remember if the Long Beach one is bigger or not. I really enjoy aquariums so I always have a good time while visiting! I may not be able to be at all objective!!!:eek: :)

Check out http://www.visitlongbeach.com/coupons/index.cfm?navid=30 for coupons and lots of Long Beach area info.

I think that the Hyatt Regency has the best location as it is directly across from a marina with some nice shops. It is within walking distance of the aquarium, restaurants and shopping. I did think the Westin was a nicer hotel but a bit more of a walk to the fun.

Are you flying? LAX or Long Beach Airport??? I fly into Long Beach (fantastic little airport btw!) so that is also why I like that area and I don't know that if I were to fly to LAX that I would choose a LB hotel as it is a bit out of the way of the airport to pier route. Just another consideration for confusion!!

@ 98Charlie: Is that because you'll view Long Beach on the way to the hotel?

I saw the Crowne San Pedro price on their own website.

The pier is about a 10 minute or so cab ride.

I, too have been to the Vancouver Aquarium but honestly I can't remember if the Long Beach one is bigger or not. I really enjoy aquariums so I always have a good time while visiting! I may not be able to be at all objective!!!:eek: :)

Check out http://www.visitlongbeach.com/coupons/index.cfm?navid=30 for coupons and lots of Long Beach area info.

I think that the Hyatt Regency has the best location as it is directly across from a marina with some nice shops. It is within walking distance of the aquarium, restaurants and shopping. I did think the Westin was a nicer hotel but a bit more of a walk to the fun.

Are you flying? LAX or Long Beach Airport??? I fly into Long Beach (fantastic little airport btw!) so that is also why I like that area and I don't know that if I were to fly to LAX that I would choose a LB hotel as it is a bit out of the way of the airport to pier route. Just another consideration for confusion!!

Sadly, I'm flying into LAX. If I could I'd fly into Long Beach, but there are no non-stops from EWR. Since I'd much prefer a non-stop, that's where I am. Do you think it's worth it to detour to Long Beach @ 8pm to stay the night and board the next day, although I'd probably visit the aquarium in the morning and do other fun things if I could. Is it only 10 minutes from the Hyatt to the pier or it is much longer? Thanks for the coupons, they look great!!!!!!!!

I love aquariums too, but I'm not sure if DH is going to enjoy it as much.

Also, I could justify the detour if there was a great restaurant in the area or even at the Hyatt itself (flying in on DH's birthday).

@

Sadly, I'm flying into LAX. If I could I'd fly into Long Beach, but there are no non-stops from EWR. Since I'd much prefer a non-stop, that's where I am. Do you think it's worth it to detour to Long Beach @ 8pm to stay the night and board the next day).

If I were flying xcountry and coming in at 8pm I prob. wouldn't bother going to LB. I would choose an airport hotel or go on to San Pedro. By the time you get out of Newark and to LA, get your bags and take the taxi you will probably be looking forward to a good comfy bed!

If I were flying xcountry and coming in at 8pm I prob. wouldn't bother going to LB. I would choose an airport hotel or go on to San Pedro. By the time you get out of Newark and to LA, get your bags and take the taxi you will probably be looking forward to a good comfy bed!

You're completely right, I will be looking for a bed. But, the next morning is there anything to do in San Pedro?

You're completely right, I will be looking for a bed. But, the next morning is there anything to do in San Pedro?

I am certain others will find a wealth of thing for you to do in San Pedro but I only stayed over there once and just took a walk around the a marina. I am sooo impatient the morning before boarding my cruise and I need to keep busy!

I am certain others will find a wealth of thing for you to do in San Pedro but I only stayed over there once and just took a walk around the a marina. I am sooo impatient the morning before boarding my cruise and I need to keep busy!

If there were things to do in San Pedro the next morning, I'd stay there, but I'm getting the feeling there's nothing there.

If there were things to do in San Pedro the next morning, I'd stay there, but I'm getting the feeling there's nothing there.

Try making a new post with a "things to do in San Pedro" title. I'm sure that the San Pedro experts will come through!:) Now you know why I stay over in LB. LOL

I just checked out the Hyatt (LB) for my date & it's $115. I'm seriously considering booking it (on their own website).

Has anyone ever stayed in the club room? Breakfast is included & that is $155 a night, just wondering if it was worth it......

Also, how far is it (driving distance) to the pier?

Is it much better to stay in San Pedro? I guess I still may be a bit up in the air.

Two things I would definitely recommend in San Pedro are the LA Maritime Museum and the Cabrillo Marine Aquarium. Both because I grew up sailing, and like cruisng, the first is wonderful with great exhibits and beautiful ship's models, as well as a couple of full sized ships, while the second has good exhibits about our local sealife and whales along the CA coast. It also includes a marine mammal hospital and rehabilitation center which you can visit. Both would be perfect for a couple hours before boarding your cruise ship. The Marine Center is right on Cabrillo Beach if you want to see a little sand (none elsewhere in San Pedro).

Here are some other things to do in the San Pedro area:

http://www.sanpedrochamber.com/champint/placint.htm

The Long Beach Aquarium (actually called the Aquarium of the Pacific) is a bit bigger than the Vancouver Aquarium, and has a different emphasis as far as exhibits. It focuses on the sealife of the Pacific Rim. I have enjoyed both, but probably would lean toward Long Beach. Neither is nearly as big as Monterey (which I will be visiting again in November).

Gee whiz, I go away on a cruise, and people can't seem to find all my previous info (and or shame on you regular West Coast posters for not directing people to this stuff:p ;) :D )

#1 Hollywood Filming Location Tour af things all directly in San Pedro...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=567043

#2 Crowne Plaza Info...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=601984

#3 Double Tree Info...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=602015

#4 Hyatt/Long Beach Info...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=604242

Please do yourself a favor and check through and read all of these, in order to make a better informed decision...

Only trying to help...

CJW

Gee whiz, I go away on a cruise, and people can't seem to find all my previous info (and or shame on you regular West Coast posters for not directing people to this stuff:p ;) :D )

#CJW

That's funny...I just assumed the OP read your posts but still needed further help. (hey...it could happen...)

Your posts deseve to be sticky posts at the top of the West Coast board.:)

Wow, thanks. Those threads were very helpful. Belive it or not, I had read all of them except the touring one. Thank you for taking the time to write them for us!!!!!!!

I guess at this point now I'm settled on the Long Beach Hyatt or debating on staying at the Manhattan Beach Marriott. Has anyone stayed there? I haven't found much info on it.

Archived